Lead DevOps Engineer
at Acunu in London
(₤45000 - ₤55000 per year)
Acunu is a leader in the fast-growing real time Big Data market. We offer a platform for low-latency, continuous analytics on high velocity streams of events, powering dashboards and embedded applications to monitor and control environments in manufacturing, telecommunications, media, financial services and other industries. Our customers range from startups to some of the world’s largest enterprises. We are active developers of the Apache Cassandra NoSQL database and use it as a component of our software.
We are looking for a Lead DevOps Engineer to lead the team responsible for making sure our engineers can deliver robust product and iterate on those releases rapidly.
The team has three main areas of responsibility. Although we do not operate a SaaS service ourselves, you’ll be responsible for developing and managing the complex systems that build, stress and performance benchmark our codebase and releases, in our own datacenter and on public clouds. You will play a key role in ensuring the highest levels of product quality, both by managing our extensive automated test systems and organising manual testing. You’ll also design, architect, develop and maintain platform elements of our core products, and assist in the support process alongside the rest of the engineering team.
Strong technical skills and the ability to lead a small but highly skilled team are both equally important.
- Be a part of Acunu’s engineering management team including contributing to strategy and product direction, planning and reporting
- Manage, mentor and motivate your team of DevOps engineers
- Take responsibility for build, test, QA and release processes. Provide advice and support to developers on architecting tests, analysing and reporting on test coverage and expanding test coverage
- Enhance and operate Acunu’s infrastructure, including locally hosted, co-located and cloud-based hardware and VM infrastructure.
- Treat the engineering team as your customers and provide them with a great service, including our build system, test system, performance testing suite and other tools
- Support and configure Linux platform code and scripts, including packaging up first and third party code and upstream security fixes for multiple operating systems and configurations
Skills & Requirements
- A degree in Computer Science or other technical discipline is desirable
- A good understanding of data structure design and concurrency
- Familiarity administering Linux environments (especially Debian and Redhat), including shell scripting
- Experience programming with Python, Perl, Bash, Java, and C would be desirable
- Awareness of build systems, including Make, Ant and SPEC files is desirable
Prior experience with automated testing and QA processes is desirable but not essential
- Experience in Agile development and DevOps methodologies
- Aptitude for leading a small team essential; experience very desirable
- Great verbal and written communication skills with people of varying levels of technical expertise
Acunu was founded in 2009 and is backed by some of Europe’s top VC funds. Started by a unique mix of researchers and engineers from Cambridge and Oxford Universities, Acunu has offices in London and San Francisco.
We currently have a world-class team of 25 and we’re looking for the brightest, smartest people who want to make a difference. We offer good salaries, a benefits package including share options and a stimulating and fun environment. For more information, visit our website acunu.com.
Recent jobs at Acunu
- Linux Systems Engineer - DevOps, Debian, Redhat at Acunu in London 11-01-2013
- Linux Engineer - Debian, Redhat at Acunu in London 06-12-2012
- Linux Kernel Software Engineer at Acunu in London 04-12-2012
- Infrastructure/Test Engineer (Linux, Cassandra, Big Data) at Acunu in London 24-02-2012