Customer Support Intern
at Winnow in London
(₤12000 per year)
6 month paid internship within rapidly growing operations team
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem. It costs hospitality over $100bn every year, primarily due to wasted food purchasing costs, but also wasted labour, energy, and disposal costs. We at Winnow believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London, UK in 2013. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 10 countries around the world supported by our offices in London and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling our system out across globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, Hyatt, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
This job offers a unique opportunity to become involved in one of the hottest areas of sustainability, with a rapidly growing startup.
Are you passionate, pragmatic, and collaborative with a strong attention to detail?
We are passionate about what we do and have a strong set of values as an organization. We are looking for you to come in join our operations team as an intern to help support our customer support role. In addition to supporting our customer support function, you will also have the opportunity to work directly with the founder and CFO of the company to help collect and analyse key metrics about our business to be shared both internally and with our investors. This role requires a strong attention to detail and a working understanding of excel and data analysis.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings
Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% – 70% over 2 – 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food gross margins by 2% to 4%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action and a case study.
We have an open culture and believe in a hierarchy of ideas and results rather than titles. We share a common desire to learn and improve and give individuals a ton of freedom to help us shape how our business will grow.
Absolutely no recruiters please.
Core skills and experience
- Proficient in project management and prioritisation of tasks.
- Obsessive attention to detail
- Hard working, thrives from being in control of your own schedule
- Great interpersonal & communication skills and a comfort helping solve problems with customers
- Strong analytic skills with strong experience and comfort with data management with tools such as Excel.
- Keen user of technology and ability to troubleshoot problems with ease
- A solid understanding of finance and management accounting principles
- Experience in hospitality and working in kitchens a big plus
Key objectives of role:
- Be part of our front line technical and customer support function for clients
- Review and validate data and reports from kitchens using our technology
- Assemble metrics for weekly and monthly internal KPIs
- Help to lead configuration of our system with key clients to make sure they are getting the best experience from our technology
This internship is an amazing opportunity for you to enter our organisation. Many of our former interns are now full time staff in the organisation and growing both professionally and personally as we scale. It is our intent that if this works you would have a full time opportunity to join Winnow after the internship with a long-term role in the team and an opportunity to take equity in the company.
- Paid internship with an opportunity to join full-time after internship completion
- Opportunity for permanent employees to take equity in a fast growing startup
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment
- Underground bike parking with serviced showers (fresh towels every morning – yay!)
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- 25 days of paid vacation time p.a. in addition to national holidays
Recent jobs at Winnow
- Product Management Associate at Winnow in London 05-01-2017
- Marketing Assistant at Winnow in London 13-01-2017
- Senior Android Developer at Winnow in London 16-01-2017