Freelance product/ UX designer
at Squirrel in London
(₤4000 - ₤7000 per month)
Contract role for 4-6 weeks, with the possibility of an ongoing position depending on the business outcome.
Want to make a real impact on people’s lives? We know finances are at the core of people’s lives, and poor money management is linked to sleepless nights, frustration, payday loans and even serious physical and mental health issues.
We’ve built a product that changes people’s relationship with money, and are looking for a designer to collaborate with us to craft a 1st time experience that engages interested people and clearly communicates the benefits of Squirrel.
We’re a bunch of people from different backgrounds who care deeply about helping people improve their relationship with money. We’ve created an award winning money management app and account that helps people control how money gets into their primary bank account, so it doesn’t get misspent before they need it.
Our customers are people that struggle to budget and save, finding that they spend too much on socialising or on impulse buys.
We’re located in Holborn and fortunate to be nominated as one of the top 50 fintech companies in Europe.
We help people by actively managing people’s money based on a plan (budget) that they set with us. Whilst our customers tell us it changes their relationship with money, we’ve found that having the right mental model of what Squirrel is and how it works is key to getting people onboard. The nature of the product means it quickly raises questions and concerns with people – as our value proposition rests around keeping money out of sight until they need it.
We need to improve the critical first time experience, to engage interested people and communicate the benefits of Squirrel, whilst helping them understand how it will work.
We believe we’ve addressed the low hanging fruit and are looking for someone that can guide people through setting up their account and getting started. Qualitatively this means building up the right mental model of how it works and getting them excited to use it. Quantitatively it means improving the number of people that get started after signing up.
We’re expecting you to:
- Work with us through our research and initial ideas to help develop an understanding of the problem space.
- Plan, design & prototype ideas to improve the 1st time experience (and 2nd & 3rd) for users in the app. Solutions can range from small improvements through to a re-write of the core experience – we’re not precious about what we have and know it can be improved.
- Be responsible for the core user experience: interaction design & architecture. (You won’t be left on your own!)
Whilst there will be plenty of metrics to work around, we’re ultimately expecting this work to impact one number – the number of people that signup who go on to actually use the service.
- You’ve built and prototyped different products, interfaces and experiences.
- You’ve used persuasive design to encourage people to take action.
- You enjoy collaborating with a broad set of people across a multidisciplinary product team.
- You’re looking to learn more about how people are motivated and ways to tap into that motivation.
P.S. Bonus points if you can do everything on the design front, i.e. visual design, copywriting, everything.