at Winnow in London
(₤35000 per year)
Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to go to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 20 countries around the world supported by our offices in London and Singapore. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, Compass Group, Scandic Hotels, Hilton, and many others.
This is an opportunity to join one of Wired’s top 10 start-ups in the UK and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings
Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% – 70% over 2 – 12 months, and maintained at these levels, with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers, and a net saving of staff time due to reduced food preparation and waste handling. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for restaurants. Watch our short videos on our YouTube channel to see the system in action.
Are you excited about helping us bring in the best talent and embed our culture as we scale?
Over the past year, we’ve grown from 10 to nearly 40 staff. We expect the same scale of growth over the coming couple of years. We’re looking for someone who is excited by finding people who our passionate about our mission with world class capabilities as we grow our business. Beyond bringing in new talent, we need to make sure we maintain our unique culture as we scale globally. We know this is hard but want someone who revels in this challenge.
Our values include being transparent, pragmatic, and honest as well a fierce commitment to the cause of fighting food waste. You absolutely must share the same.
About the role
Our Talent Manager will work closely with the Operational Management Team and the Executive Management Team to further develop teams and individuals. The Talent Manager will also liaise regularly with the Marketing & Communications Manager to align recruitment efforts to continue to attract industry-leading talent. This will be a hands-on and highly rewarding role for the right individual who: wants to make a tangible impact to the company; is fully aligned with the company strategy; and has the company’s best interests and the welfare of its employees at heart.
- Recruitment: Responsibility for driving recruitment of “A” players. Identifying where the gaps are, which roles are required, what kind of person we need, and how to go about filling the position, working closely with the Operational Management Team and the Marketing & Communications Manager to achieve these goals. A substantial proportion of the role will involve actively sourcing suitable candidates and direct communication with potential recruits. This role will also be responsible for managing the relationships with specialist recruitment agents where required.
- Skills and Professional Development Programme: Responsibility for managing and advancing our Skills and Professional Development Programme. Where are the skills gap within the company? The identification of skills gaps and the process for filling these gaps will improve the resilience of the business and ensure continued growth. An additional responsibility in this area will be to act as a strategic lead on supplier identification, selection and management: helping to collaborate with the right people to drive the Skills Development Programme and the strategic growth of the business.
- Growth Planning: Ensuring the business and its people are ready not only to meet the challenge of today, but totally prepared to excel and thrive in the challenges of tomorrow. Linked closely with the company’s recruitment efforts, the Talent Manager will also be intricately involved in helping to plan, future-proof and deliver the strategic growth of the company.
- Driving Organisational Health: Being a “healthy” organisation is a key reason for our sustained growth and continued success. This role will successfully promote and support vulnerable trust, passionate unfiltered debate, and commitment towards our common goals, personal accountability, and focus on the organisational success over individual success.
The right candidate will definitely have:
- Experience in leading recruitment either in an agency capacity or within an organisation
- Experience in establing fundamental HR process and personal development/training programmes
- An outgoing personality with experience in living or working with people from a broad variety of cultural backgrounds
- Graduate: 2:1 equivalent or better from a top University
- A range of persuasive and strong influencing skills
- A highly engaging “people-person” demeanour
- Comfort in working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
- Passion for our cause and a love of food
- International experience desirable
- A strong drive, work ethic, and constant desire to improve
This role requires someone with real self-direction and drive, who has great initiative and can work with minimal direction. Although you will be working closely with other departments, the business will be relying on you to be curious, use your great initiative, and not rely on other staff to get things done
- Competitive base plus commission on sales
- Tax efficient equity (employee options)
- Committed team members with broad experience who share a common passion to build a world class business
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment
- Underground bike parking with serviced showers (fresh towels every morning – yay!)
- Company part-funded health insurance
- Matching pension scheme
- 25 days of paid vacation time in addition to national holidays
- You will love what you do – waking up every day solving one of the biggest social problems of our generation