UX/UI Design Lead
at miDrive in London
miDrive is reinventing learner driving and insurance. Frustrated by the poor safety outcomes, high costs, and lack of transparency in the learn to drive industry, miDrive set out to disrupt it.
Based in Shoreditch, miDrive uses tech and data with a fresh attitude to empower both learners and instructors. Offering the largest marketplace of independent instructors (all fully approved, highest rated in the industry) and mobile-first tools to support learning, miDrive is first time driving as it should be.
Over 300,000 young people in the UK have already gained their independence with miDrive. Having reinvented learning to drive, miDrive’s next set of products focus on reinventing first time insurance.
Founded in 2013, miDrive has raised £5m to date from a respected group of well-connected and supportive investors ‒ including Holiday Extras & Initial Capital.
Learn more at midrive.com
Based in Shoreditch, miDrive is seeking a full-time UX/UI Designer to join our team. Reporting to the Head of Product, we are seeking an entrepreneurial, strategic, technical, and passionate designer to shape our web and mobile product design. miDrive is growing its presence across the UK, but also plans to launch its current product into Europe while introducing additional products which will truly enhance learner driving.
miDrive is undergoing a complete brand refresh. The new design language will include 3D paper cut-out animation, subtle patterns, and bold typography. The UX/UI designer will play a big role in shaping the new look and feel of our brand. We want to ensure our customers have an exciting and memorable experience using our interfaces. The UX/UI designer will help us refresh our award-winning Theory App, Instructor App, Learner App, and miDrive.com. They will also help the team launch our innovative new Insurance App and future InsurTech interfaces.
Our ideal candidate will come from a start-up or agency technical background with an ability to translate high-level requirements into intuitive and user-friendly new features for our website and app interfaces. We are seeking an analytical and creative designer who is able to grasp user needs and solve problems. A strong portfolio of successful UX and other technical projects is essential. The ideal candidate will be organised, know how to manage multiple projects and can communicate with internal and external stakeholders at all levels. We are a collaborative, smart and hardworking team and are excited to welcome this important role into the company!
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Understand and synthesise product specifications and user requirements and psychology
- Partner with the product and engineering teams to create a seamless and exciting visual experience to enhance our customer experience
- Own all visual design stages from concept to hand-off to our engineering team
- Create wireframes, storyboards, user, task and process flows to effectively convey design ideas
- Conduct concept and usability testing and gather feedback
- Evaluate and prioritise new deliverables with our Head of Product and Senior Leadership Team
- Use UX research tools and best practices for your designs
- Help make miDrive the number one app for new drivers and shake up the insurance world
What we’re looking for:
- A degree in Business, Computer Science, Technology, or related area
- 4+ years experience in progressive Web and UX/UI roles in corporate, agency or start-up environments (internships count!)
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development environment with web responsive platforms and iOS/android interfaces
- Strong web design fundamentals and principles
- Customer oriented with a desire to understand customer problems
- Exposure to interaction design and information architecture
- Experience using design software such as Balsamiq or Sketch
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills with strong critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Ability to focus and prioritise with multiple competing deadlines
At miDrive, we believe it’s the people that work here that makes us successful. We are a start-up with big ambitions and we work hard so we want to give our people benefits that they really want. We’re constantly adding to this as new people join but here’s a list of the sorts of things you can expect:
- TGIMonday Breakfasts, Juice Wednesdays, Happy Hour Thursdays
- Fun social events – recent adventures have included escape rooms, comedy clubs, and visits to high up places (e.g. Shard, SkyGarden)
- Regular guest speakers, networking events and ping pong (anytime)
- Free beer, cider and prosecco all on tap!
- Up to 2 weeks unpaid leave per year to pursue personal projects (additional to standard holiday allowance)
miDrive stock options
Recruitment firms or agencies – Do not send applications for candidates as they will not be considered