at Central Research Laboratory in Hayes
(₤30000 - ₤35000 per year)
We are looking for someone who is passionate about startups, brings great entrepreneurial, digital marketing and communications skills and is excited to join our growing team and community. They should be able to use a range of skills, particularly around digital marketing, to translate the CRL’s and our startups progress and learnings into engaging stories to grow our community and reputation.
Based in west London, the Central Research Laboratory (CRL) is a pioneering facility that supports hardware entrepreneurs to develop connected product businesses – building everything from robotic drawing boards to musical instruments. We’re a young and growing organisation and, working in a small team, you’ll have the opportunity to develop and implement creative campaigns, build the CRL brand and community and support many of the exciting startups based here, learning about business along the way.
The role in detail
The focus of this role is to lead on development and implementation of our marketing and
communications, working closely with colleagues to develop our brand and grow awareness
of CRL’s offer in key markets. Developing content, sharing stories from the the CRL startups
and community and disseminating insights and learnings to our various audiences. As well
as this, your expertise will also be able to support our resident startups accelerate their path
towards business success.
Digital Marketing and Communications Delivery and Management:
- Develop an annual framework and quarterly plan of communications activities, from
content, blogs and social media to events
- Identify partnerships required to maximise the effectiveness of our communications
- Deliver the communications plan in collaboration with CRL colleagues and
- Lead on the development and population of key CRL communications channels,
such as our website (Wordpress), Twitter, Instagram, newsletter (Mailchimp)
- Define appropriate measurements with which to measure communications impact
and improve our approach
- Manage marketing and communications budgets, alongside possible intern support
Marketing and Communications Strategy Development:
- Review and inform CRL’s understanding of key audiences for CRL support services
- Review and inform CRL’s positioning relative to similar local, national and
- Support the evolution of CRL’s offers to customers and consumers to further refine
the uptake and impact (Accelerator & Coworking)
- Identify required content and channels with which to reach target audiences
The successful candidate will work closely with the CRL team and report to the Managing
Director. The team currently comprises of a Product Development Lead, Accelerator
Programme Lead, Design and Impact Lead, Workshop Technician, Community & Coworking
Lead and a Design and Communications intern.
We’re looking for someone with a keen interest to be part of growing our organisations
recognition in the hardware startup sector. You’ll need to be proactive, taking the initiative
and getting stuck-in, while still maintaining high standards throughout.
- Experience in developing marketing and communications plansvand campaigns, especially via digital channels
- Practical experience in a diverse range of marketing andvcommunication activities – Websites (wordpress), Blogs, newsletters, photography, events, key social media platformssuch as facebook, twitter and LinkedIn
- Experience of developing and managing marketing performance metrics, and digital analytics
- High level of people skills and stakeholder management, networking
- High quality of verbal and written communications; able to adapt for various types of internal and external audiences
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deliver with attention to detail
- Ability to quickly learn new software and programme applications from Google Apps, Slack, Trello and others
- Budget management experience
- Knowledge of/ experience in design, graphical communications and tools such as Adobe Indesign, Photoshop etc
- Knowledge of/interest in hardware, product design
- Knowledge of the London hardware, design and maker communities – in particular key communities, influencers and networks
The Central Research Laboratory in Hayes, West London, 20 minutes by train from
Paddington station and close to Heathrow Airport. It is located in The Shipping Building, a
former industrial building at the heart of The Old Vinyl Factory site. It’s an exciting and
developing area and already home to the new UK headquarters of SONOS as well as
smaller product businesses like industrial drones company Sky Futures. The building has an
excellent café/restaurant, as well as bike storage and showers.
The salary for this role is between £30,000 to £35,000, and will be based on the experience
level of the candidate.
How to apply
CV, Covering letter and any work examples, portfolio you may have.
Please address your Cover Letter to Mat Hunter, Managing Director, Central Research Laboratory, making clear the role applied for. Also check out our Jobs page on the Central Research Laboratory website for more details
CRL’s Key Partners
U+I is a property regeneration company that transforms undervalued parts of towns and cities into
communities where people and enterprise can thrive. U+I has an ambitious vision for The Old Vinyl
Factory in Hayes and CRL is at its heart. Working in seamless partnership with universities, industry
experts and investors U+I are committed to making Hayes the heart of the new industrial revolution in
Brunel University London & HEFCE
Based in West London, Brunel University London is a leading UK university that tops league tables in
both engineering and product design. It is a key strategic partner in making CRL a success and is
passionate about seeing research output and the talent of graduates transformed into commercial
success. Brunel University London is working alongside U+I, and key funding partner HEFCE, to
ensure that CRL is at the cutting edge of research in the fields of manufacturing and industrial design.
The CRL will receive funding from the England European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) as
part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. The
Department for Communities and Local Government is the Managing Authority for ERDF. Established
by the European Union ERDF funds help local areas stimulate their economic development by
investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community
regenerations. For more information visit https://www.gov.uk/european-growth-funding