at ONZO in London
(₤90000 per year)
ONZO has a small and focused software engineering team based just a few minutes’ walk from Paddington, London. We are looking for a fellow software enthusiast who can provide a positive contribution to our Engineering team helping us develop and deliver new and innovative Utility analytics products. ONZO is a data science and analytics company aiming to disrupt the energy sector. By analysing the smart meter data from consumer homes, we provide deep insights into consumption to help customers understand their use, and utilities to better manage their network and to better engage their customers. We are building a broad and complex SaaS platform to deliver our patented machine learning and analytics techniques at scale, and deliver the benefits of this augmented data back to both utilities and their customers through API’s or web applications.
Core programming languages and frameworks / libraries include functional Scala, Akka, Cats and Shapeless. Our entire stack runs on Amazon Web Services utilising technologies such as;
- EC2, S3 and Route 53
- Google’s TensorFlow library for Machine Learning
- Own the technical design of all products within the ONZO portfolio.
- Lead from a technical perspective, complex greenfield development initiatives.
- Create working proof of concept vehicles, to demonstrate that your recommended approach is viable.
- Responsible for shaping and implementing the technical direction of our products. You will work closely with our Product Management function helping to establish technical solutions to future capabilities on our roadmap
- Ensure that our code base remains clean, as we scale the engineering team.
- Supporting all phases of development from requirements, architecture and design through system testing, deployment, and post-deployment support
- You will be a big advocate for development practices such as incremental delivery, automated testing, continuous integration and deployment.
- Work on technical debt, and be across all advances in technology and methodologies to ensure ONZO employs best tools and practices at all times
- Evaluating new technologies for their appropriateness A strong record of technical leadership of large, cross-functional projects
- Mentor and coach team members from a technical perspective. Encourage their technical development and equip them with the tools needed to maintain performance excellence
- Provide leadership in tech PR and recruitment, ensuring ONZO is positioned as a leader in the tech community and attracts only the best talent
- At least 4 years experience of technical leadership & software engineering
- Strong knowledge of Scala, Akka, Play, Spark, Cassandra, streaming analytics, functional programming. * Experience of big data design principles.
- Experience with high volume, horizontally scalable online software architectures, in a multi-tiered application environment running on public cloud providers
- Demonstrable analytical background: able to structure, simplify and solve complex problems
- Deep understanding of the engineering ecosystem: development/release tools, app stores, methodologies, third party integrations
- Excellent communication skills (both written & verbal).
- Previous experience as a principal/lead engineer, with hands-on experience developing complex API oriented solutions.
- Deep technical experience of implementation, architecture and infrastructure.
- You will be able to demonstrate a good understanding of:
- Knowledge of SaaS (Software as a Service) environments, hosted solutions and Web based solutions
- Experience working in business-to-business markets.
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Experience working with remote teams a plus.
- You must be resident in the UK and have a full valid UK work permit.
- 25 days holiday
- Contributory pension
- Life insurance
- Permanent health insurance
- Fresh fruit