Junior Front-End Developer
at Beem in London
Junior Front-End Developer
We are looking for a Junior Front End Developer with an interest in web development to join our team in Central London. The role is a full-time, permanent position.
Beem is the employee platform of choice for some of the world’s most inspiring companies. Our mission is to create simple and engaging experiences for employees to access the information and materials they need to be great at their jobs. Ultimately Beem helps companies communicate & collaborate better with their employees and share information in a fun, engaging and intelligent way.
We have a stellar portfolio of clients, investors, and partners. 2017 is a growth year at Beem, with fundraising and multiple opportunities to scale globally, both on the horizon.
We have a unique work dynamic that encourages creativity, risk-taking, growth and autonomy. You’ll be a great fit if you love to get stuck in, are a self-starter and get a kick out of changing things for the better.
About the Role
50% of your focus will be the development and maintenance of our Android application and its integration with our back-end services. As an individual with a keen and curious mind, you will have the opportunity to work on the backend as well as on iOS to widen your technical skills.
50% You will also be working on additional Beem web products, so an interest or working knowledge with web development practices is a huge bonus.
Responsibilities of a Beem Junior Developer
- Eventually a lead role of our current Android app and ensure it stays on par with our iOS app in terms of features, stability, and design.
- Publish internal and public app builds.
- Work with the Beem Full Stack team in building out web accessibility and desktop/Tablet functionalities
- Design, build and maintain high-performance, reusable, and reliable Java code.
- Understand and help with the development of our backend and iOS app.
- Translate designs and wireframes into high-quality code
- Working understanding of existing and emerging UX and UI practices is important
- Ensure the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of applications
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
- Help maintain code quality, organisation, and automatisation
- Strong knowledge of Android SDK, different versions of Android, and how to deal with different screen sizes
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs to connect Android applications to back-end services
- Familiarity with backend frameworks and libraries
- Strong knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Experience with offline storage, threading, and performance tuning
- Ability to design applications around natural user interfaces, such as “touch”
- Knowledge of the open-source Android ecosystem and the libraries available for common tasks
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- Familiarity with cloud message APIs and push notifications
- Understanding of Google’s Android design principles and interface guidelines
- Writing clean, readable Java code
- Experience of the following would be an advantage:
- Some knowledge of Kotlin and/or Swift
- Implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- Familiarity or awareness of Azure or AWS mobile cloud services
- Experience of Agile methodologies i.e. SCRUM, KANBAN
- Educated to degree level or have 1 year relevant experience.
What’s on offer with us
- Competitive remuneration – inc travel and expenses
- Opportunity to build, influence and enhance Beem front end practices in preparation for Beem global scale
- The ability to learn and grow your technical knowledge and expertise within a team of technical and business experts
- Position in a growing startup that is quickly becoming a key leader in the employee sector
- A chance to work with brands like Gap, Old Navy, Renault, Nissan and Unilever
- Autonomy, technical leadership & mentoring
- Flexibility to demonstrate your creativity and talent
- Work amongst a talented and a dynamic team
- Flexible working environment
If you’re ready to take a leap forward in your career, then let us know!
Recent jobs at Beem