Database Architect (Contract)
at Winnow in London
(₤60 per hour)
Who we are
Winnow Solutions is a sustainable tech company on a mission to drastically reduce food waste and cut food cost for kitchen operators in the process. Winnow is an Equal Opportunity Employer and currently employs a diverse team of 35 employees representing 21 nationalities.
The company is growing fast and if you excel in the contract there is the possibility of follow on advisory consulting work.
What we seek
We seek a contract database architect to embed with our London (Finsbury Square) product and development teams for approximately 3 months.
Our current MySQL based menu + waste reporting database is showing its age, both in terms of scalability and brittleness. We want to move to PostgreSQL to support improved query performance, and we need to update our menu database to handle a more flexible representation of foodservice menus that exist in the field.
We are looking to you to help us architect and create a new clean-sheet schema for PostgreSQL that will allow us to:
- support our existing business operations;
- streamline menu entry and reporting and;
- facilitate our fast growing set of endpoint devices in the field (currently many hundreds, soon to be orders of magnitudes larger);
- support future growth initiatives in the connected kitchen.
Our team has generated user requirements, our current and even a proposed future schema internally, but our day jobs are not in database design. We need a fresh set of eyes to help us evaluate our existing and proposed schemas, and to correct deviations from standard database development standards. Any improvements we gain in terms of performance, security or reliability are a plus.
You need to have done this before. We’re not going to be your guinea pig.
Experience implementing production point of sale menu, food ordering or recipe databases is a plus. Knowing the shortcomings of existing systems is a big plus.
Previous experience in hospitality or foodservice software is a plus.
What we don’t need:
We don’t need a DB admin. We’re not looking for someone to setup our database eg. Install PostgreSQL. We have good sysadmins who can give you the right sandbox environments so you can get your work done. We can create load-balanced processes, replication, setup DB clusters and backup and recovery processes around the schema you design. With that said, if you have ideas on how to improve our environment, by all means, speak up, we’ll listen.
1. Produce PostgreSQL clean-sheet schema for Winnow’s database, documented and communicated using accepted notations.
2. Generate a migration script(s) to facilitate transferring old production data to our new database. (We plan on running parallel DB’s until our applications cut over to the new database).
- Competitive compensation based on experience, circa £500/day.
- Shared office space in central London with free happy hours and a great working environment
- Underground bike parking with serviced showers (fresh towels every morning – yay!)
Recent jobs at Winnow