Head of Research and Development and LEGO Instructor
at Mini-Engineers in London
Mini-Engineers is a start-up educational company based in London, that works with primary aged children. It has been founded by a MIT graduate who has a passion for providing creative learning experiences for children. We teach the principles of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) through fun LEGO activities. We launched in March 2014 and are now looking to expand further and grow our team of talented and passionate people. Inspiring young minds is at the heart of everything we do. We run Innovation and Inspiration labs (or what we like to call “ilabs”) across London, offering holiday LEGO® camps, specialised LEGO workshops, LEGO classes and birthday parties. Mini-Engineers won ‘Best New Business of the Year’ at the Merton Chamber of Commerce Awards 2014.
HEAD OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT AND INSTRUCTOR DESCRIPTION
We are looking for an enthusiastic, responsible, dependable, creative and inspiring individual to be our Head of Research & Development and to lead our London-based classes, camps, workshops and birthday parties. This position requires your passion for STEM, love of LEGO and a keen understanding of the interaction and creativity that we bring to children. Experience with CAD and building with LEGO are essential in the development of new themes and activities. Ability to code would be a plus. Responsibilities of an Instructor include the setting up and leading of model building activities, guiding children with their builds and programming, sorting modeling elements and kits, answering parents questions and most importantly, being an inspiration to the children. Training and development will be provided. Together these dual roles will provide the successful candidate a very rewarding career and to become a key member of our team.
- Minimum two-years experience working with nursery/primary aged children
- Strong interest in hands on and creative learning
- Passion for building and playing with LEGO
- Has creative or design background with strong computer skills. Able to troubleshoot and has experience using CAD and Photoshop preferred
- Inquisitive, fun loving person who has strong rapport with children
- Strong work ethic: reliable, dependable, prompt and well organised
- A curious, problem solver who loves studying how things work
- Commands a basic understanding of engineering and science principles and can explain concepts in a clear and easy to follow fashion
- Strong communication skills and comfortable with leading a group of children with adults on occasions
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Able to lift 15kg to 25kg of equipment
- Full UK driving licence
- Right to work in the UK
Please send us your CV and cover letter explaining why you think you would be a good fit for this role.