Full-stack Software Engineer (React/Node.js)
at Farewill in London
Farewill is fast changing how people plan and deal with death. Since launching in November of 2016 we’ve grown rapidly and are soon to be the largest will writer in England and Wales.
We’re rated #1 on Trustpilot and within the last month have topped Designer news and Product Hunt after our latest rebrand (done in collaboration with the studio behind Airbnb). We’re also making waves in the charity world with over £10 million left to charities on our platform through our partnerships. Dan, our CEO recently talked on Radio 4 about how our business fits into the current landscape and what our vision of the future looks like.
You’re a talented, independently minded engineer with experience working on e-commerce platform(s) at scale, driven to build products that make a difference.
Alongside our cofounder and CTO, Tom, you’ll be responsible for architecting, building and maintaining the new and existing services behind the Farewill product.
You’ll work collaboratively inside the product team finding actionable solutions for real user problems as well as improving our key metrics through continuous integration and iteration.
If this sounds like you, come and join our close-knit, multi-disciplinary team of fast learners and play a fundamental role in bringing our collective vision to life.
In the next 12 months you will:
- Work on our (predominantly JS – Node/React/Meteor) web-app and services which make up the Farewill product as we scale over the next year.
- Gain an understanding of our business, our customers, and our domain, allowing you to use your judgement to make autonomous decisions.
- Contribute to the process of building of new features and services as part of a multi-disciplinary agile team, ensuring that our standards and uptime are high and that we can scale to meet demand.
- Have the opportunity to take the lead in new in building new features/services, making decisions over how and what we build.
- Work on tools and internal services to help the rest of the team perform their jobs optimally.
- Maintain existing features, keeping them in line with best practices and new technologies.
- Use data, user tests and domain knowledge to directly solve user problems.
- Promote and use automation for our developer workflow, ensuring high standard of service as we grow (we use Git, CircleCi and Heroku).
What we offer:
We’re only just getting started, and there are plenty of paths we can take to get to where we want to be. You’ll play a key role in helping us work out what to build, when and why.
- A chance to create a meaningful contribution to millions of people’s lives and deaths.
- Influence, trust and impact inside a well funded startup that’s scaling.
- Work alongside other talented and friendly people with a history of learning new things.
- Competitive salary and meaningful stock options.
- Pick your own kit (we tend to use Macs).
- Boris bike key.
- Regular off-site days and weekly breakfasts/lunches.
- Access to an amazing network of mentors and engineers at other portfolio companies.
- Office in the heart of Shoreditch.
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you.
Send us your CV along with some examples of your code (github/bitbucket/websites).
Closing date: 18th July.
We are an equal opportunity employer and highly value diversity at our company.
Our hiring process:
Inviting someone to join our team is a big deal for us and we put a lot of time and effort into the process. If we figure out we’re not perfect for each other at any stage we’ll let you know as soon as possible. Here’s how it’ll look for the person joining us:
- Send us your CV along with some examples of your code (github/bitbucket/website).
- We’ll invite you for a 20 minute conversation on Skype to learn more about your goals and experience.
- We’ll send you a code challenge to complete in your own time (should take max 4 hours).
- We’ll invite you in for a more detailed interview to hear more about you, your experience and talk through your code challenge/any other programming questions.
- Give you an opportunity to meet the rest of the team in an informal setting – in the past we’ve taken candidates out for breakfast, dinner, pub quizzes or drinks.
If everyone’s happy, most importantly you, we’ll make you an offer to join our team.