at Property.Works in London
(₤50000 - ₤65000 per year)
Property.Works is a marketplace for commercial property, built from the ground up to level the playing field for small and medium-sized businesses seeking space. Our platform provides transparency and liquidity for office, retail, F&B and industrial space. In the process, we help landlords and leasing agents become better marketers. With more than £2 billion spent on agency fees each year, Property.Works is creating a vital platform to help the industry leverage changes in customer behaviour and get the right businesses into great spaces.
In less than two years, we’ve quickly scaled our platform, partnered with leaders in the commercial property world and built a world-class team and advisory board.
We are now looking for a talented and daring senior developer to join us on our mission.
[About the role]
While we’ve grown our business considerably over the past two years, we’ve kept our team small by design. There are a number of specific challenges we’re taking on and we like to pitch in and support one another in the process.
Our platform ingests property data from hundreds (scaling to thousands) of partners every day. We have the business of now that we are optimising and we’re figuring out how our systems will work at a half-million properties from thousands of sources each day. You will have primary responsibility to optimising and scaling this data architecture.
You will also build the backend of our web platform which is used by thousands of customers every day to help them find a great new space for their business. How do we determine the perfect location for a customer with limited user interaction? How do we group similar properties based on 100s of different features to help the customer make the right decision?
In the role, you will mainly develop backend code in Scala and Python with a big role to play in the evolution of the architecture.. You will be working directly with the Head of Engineering and our QA team to deliver high quality, clean and testable code. We use Amazon AWS as a platform of choice. We are looking for someone that can hit the ground running with these technologies and make sure our software platform scales with our business..
- Are an experienced Scala developer with 2+ years of professional experience with the language, but also have some experience with Python, despite the dynamic typing ;)
- Love working on data problems
- Know your way around AWS and can spin up new services there in your sleep
- Be familiar with Linux and deployment/configuration tools like Ansible, Jenkins, Chef, Puppet
- Have built backends for websites before, and can wring out some HTML and CSS if you really have to
- Are passionate about technology and can prove that by showing examples of personal projects, github/bitbucket
- Excel at best practices of software engineering
- Have worked in a startup before and know how crazy that can be
- Are a self-starter
Nice to have experience with:
- XPath/CSS DOM selectors
- Frameworks like Django or Scrapy
Property.Works is a London company, presently in the Camden area but soon to relocate ourselves to the new Monument Building. We provide a competitive base salary, stock options in a growing business and the opportunity to work with a group of seasoned entrepreneurs. There is an opportunity to build a great business and learn alongside a great team in the process. Is Property.Works in your future?