Business Development Executive
at School Space in London
(₤20000 - ₤26000 per year)
Why does this job exist?
In the last 12 months we’ve run over 16,000 events at our partner schools in Oxfordshire and generated hundreds of thousands of pounds in income for them. Following a recent round of investment we are now expanding rapidly and looking to increase awareness of our partner schools amongst small business owners, local groups and the wider community.
What kind of things will you be accountable for?
* Generating a regular flow of qualified leads 360° from researching potential groups/targets to reaching out to them via phone calls/digital media
* Striving to meet and exceed targets – we’ll set mutually agreeable and realistic targets for sales (commissions very much included which we’d love to you to have).
* Meeting with our customers (mostly community groups, so you have to love meeting local people) and helping them to view the venues they’ll hire.
* Input into our sales and marketing strategy – you’ll be in regular contact via multiple channels with potential customers – your inputs and learning pointes here will help us to improve our business development efforts
How will you know it’s going brilliantly?
*KPI’s comfortably on track – you’re hitting the targets agreed without being massively stressed and can see exciting routes for improvement of our sales strategy
*You’re incredibly satisfied with your impact – Your work increases bookings for schools – each one contributes money directly to them and brings communities together
*Inbound leads are on the up – Your feedback has led to a strong flow of inbound enquiries which we’re able to measure and learn from
What will help you kick ass in this role?
* Excellent written and verbal conversational skills – This role almost exclusively customer facing, so your ability to produce engaging written content + interact with people on the phone/face to face is critical (hugely important that you enjoy this!)
* Consistency – This is not a role where you’ll be expected or encouraged to engage in ‘hard-selling.’ Instead you’ll have great success by adopting an organised and methodical approach to expanding our presence in the market
Community – an ability to understand and engage with the school community, whether it’s attending PTA meetings or speaking to the head of the local badminton group – you understand what motivates these people and are passionate about encouraging them to use our partner schools.
* Self motivation and a pro-active, positive mindset – as a startup we’re well positioned to be flexible with how you manage your workload and proactively seek individuals that are comfortable working without an explicit structure
School Space works with schools to rent out their facilities to the community for regular groups and one-off events. The income generated is used by the schools to improve the educational experience and facilities for their students, in addition to building stronger connections with the surrounding community. Having recently raised significant investment we are entering a period of rapid growth which will see us head towards our goal of raising £7m for 200 schools by 2020. This growth will see significant growth and career development opportunities for all new team members, at every level of the business.
The next 12 months:
Building on our 16 schools and 16,000 events annually in Oxfordshire, we are now entering the London market. This will see a dramatic increase in headcount, the adoption of new technologies and an incredibly exciting period of growth for the entire company. This will mean amazing opportunities for the company to expand, and our team to take on new challenges as part of this.
Creating thriving schools at the centre of thriving communities.
We are intrinsically driven to improve and develop every team member at School Space. From weekly update videos from the founders, to regular training days, socials, progression opportunities and unexpected ‘magic moments,’ our people are quite literally at the heart of our success. Our core values are Transparency, Fun, Initiative, Community and Service. We actively encourage all new and existing team members to proactively contribute to our culture.
In the last twelve months we’ve generated over £350,000 for our partner schools. That equates to 150,000+ free school meals, 27 additional teaching assistants, 58,000 footballs and a brighter education for a brighter future.
In 2010, our founders, James and Jemma, became part of Wheatley Park’s Head Boy and Girl Team. In their final year, the school was put into ‘special measures’ by Ofsted. It became the pair’s mission to show that their school was about more than this ‘failing’, and they struck on the idea of renting out Wheatley Park’s facilities to generate income and open their doors to the local community to show them how amazing the site was.