Senior Software Engineer
at Plum in London
Plum is founded by one of the first employees of TransferWise and one of the first engineers at Tictail, Victor and Alex. The two have set off on a mission to create the ultimate financial assistant so that everyone can get on top of their finances without any effort.
Plum is a data driven financial assistant that lives in Facebook Messenger as your ever-funny and trusted sidekick. You connect your current account to Plum and Plum’s AI delivers on three principles of financial well being:
1. Save money without thinking about it: Every few days Plum’s algorithm calculates and actually moves money out of a your current account into your Plum saving account.
2. Invest your savings: You can currently move your savings into a 3% return option offered by our P2P partner RateSetter, more investment options to come.
3. Don’t get ripped-off: Plum will highlight and switch your utility provider, your bank overdraft, your credit card or your loan if you are overpaying on any of these. All you will have to do is say “Yes!”
What are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced engineer (4+ years in delivering production systems) to join our team. Technical knowledge is critical but we are a startup treading in uncharted territory so attitude is even more critical. We need someone that likes uncertainty and wants to figure out how to do things that haven’t been done before. You are a startup person, you want to have an impact and you care about product!
As you are the first senior hire we are looking for someone that doesn’t just want to deepen their technical knowhow but wants to have a big part in building our tech culture. You must show that you have managed to inspire people around you previously and you should expect to be managing a team very soon.
- Build new product features (or new product lines) and be part of the decision making process of how to architect the solution in the most time-efficient way that scales
- Experiment, measure, repeat: Ship things that move the growth needle
- Be part of structuring the tech team so that it can move faster than everyone else around us
- Building out our investment product which now has one option and expand it to have a universe of investment options that bring value to our users
- Improve our saving algorithm: Dig deep in how we can further optimise and more accurately predict the spending patterns of our users and thus optimise how much we save for them
- Understand our data: We ingest a lot of bank transactions and how we leverage them to deliver product feature is a problem you need to define and solve.
- Implement machine learning techniques for improving the product but also our internal operations
- Work on our core ledger: We are constantly evolving our internal systems for auditing and reconciling accounts. We move money around so we need to know where said money is at any point in time at scale.
- Our own Python bot framework: We’ve developed an in-house bot framework that powers our Messenger bot. We will need to build more tooling (think simulators) and integrations with other providers to have an ever evolving NLP capability.
- Our RESTful API: Everything is delivered via our REST API built in Flask.
- Managing a team very soon as we hire up.
You’re a good fit if:
- You are probably working at a high growth startup, have learnt a lot but feel you want to go to a smaller team where you can shape things more.
- You like thinking about tradeoffs in a startup which arise between tech and business.
- You might have tried to do your own startup in the past and have interacted with users.
- Demonstrated that you had an impact at your previous position.
- Proven track record in making things happen – delivering results quickly and efficiently.
- A proactive, can-do attitude, full of great ideas and able to get stuff done autonomously.
- Company stock options
- 28 days of paid holiday (excluding bank holidays)
- A beautiful co-working space (Shack 15) in the heart of Shoreditch with a cafe, bar and ping-pong table
- Team breakfast