at Plum in London
We all know that irrespective of income, we can be bad at managing our money.
More than 16m people in the UK have less than £100 in savings. 28% of UK adults have nothing at all in the bank. Yes, it’s mind-boggling! But what makes money management hard? The answer is friction, temptation and mediocre existing solutions.
We’re working on making personal finance smart, fun and simple through a quirky bot that, right now, helps thousands of people saving money without having to think about it. In fact, we’ve hit £1 million in savings recently.
We’ve very recently closed an over-subscribed £700k crowdfunding round in 5 days, led by 500 Startups and we’re looking to grow our tech team (3 people right now) with a Software Engineer to work on our backend platform.
You’ll be working on
- Identifying patterns in transactional data: We need to be able to automatically identify recurrences and patterns in spending. Think clustering and periodicity.
- Machine learning for categorising transactions and behaviours: As we accumulate more data we will need to enhance our understanding of spending behaviours so that’s where machine learning comes into play.
- Systems for auditing and reconciling accounts: We move money around so we need to know where said money is at any point in time at scale.
- Our own Python bot framework: We’ve developed an in-house bot framework that powers our Messenger bot. We will need to build more tooling (think simulators) and integrations with other providers.
- Our RESTful API: Everything is delivered via our REST API built in Flask.
Is this role for you?
You’ll fit right in if you enjoy working without rigid processes in place and accept that, at an early stage startup, “getting it done” is more important that “getting it perfect”. In short, a hacker.
We don’t care about schools or degrees – we’re looking for passion, a good sense of design and an affection towards the customer. We’ll need you to hit the ground running so past experience in shipping production applications (not necessarily in Python) is essential.
You will be joining a team very early on as it is embarking on a journey to define its product. As a consequence, you will have unparalleled influence in our future direction. You need to be comfortable with this.
We like to work with people that think like entrepreneurs and really want to build and own something. This company will be your company and you will have to make the decisions needed to make it great.
- Company stock options
- 28 days of paid holiday (excluding bank holidays)
- A beautiful co-working space (Shack 15) in the heart of Shoreditch with a cafe, bar and ping-pong table
- Team breakfast
Recent jobs at Plum
- Senior Software Engineer at Plum in London 08-09-2017
- Web Developer (React) at Plum in London 08-09-2017