Backend Software Engineer
at Tech Will Save Us in London
(₤35000 - ₤50000 per year)
Technology Will Save Us is an award-winning, innovative, technology and product business based in the vibrant area of East London. We create make-it-yourself kits and digital tools that help kids all over the world to make, play, code and invent using technology.
Last year we launched our making + coding platform, Make, we Kickstarted the Mover Kit and built a block-based coding environment for kids to program it. This year we Kickstarted our new range of products, Dough Universe, and are building a React Native app to accompany them.
It’s a really exciting time at Tech Will Save Us, we’ve just sealed a new round of investment and are about to take things to the next level. In terms of tech, we’re starting with a new Magento e-commerce backend, providing an API for a new React frontend. This will be integrated with our learning platform, built with React + Node. We’ll level-up and extend our Docker and AWS infrastructure to be faster and more efficient, so our customers from all round the world have an excellent experience.
Alongside this we will be developing business tools to support our internal users: analytics, data warehouse, business intelligence tools, content management, CRM etc. All this while we continue to produce amazing new digital experiences for kids.
We’re looking for a backend developer with experience in e-commerce and implementing systems to support the entire business. We’re open to people from different backgrounds and with a variety of skills, but primarily we need someone well-versed in PHP, APIs and modern web architecture.
Our process is agile. Our iterations are weekly. We use pull requests to review code, maintain quality and learn from each other. We use TDD and pair programming when it makes sense. We use continuous integration tools to automate testing and deployments. We believe in simple, maintainable, clean (and lean) code.
This is an awesome opportunity to get in early and have a huge impact on the future of the business. It would be great to find someone who really wants to get stuck in, challenge us, learn with us and help us inspire a new generation of makers!
Ideally you would have:
- Extensive backend e-commerce experience. Preferably with Magento or similar.
- Excellent PHP skills
- Experience integrating backend systems and writing/extending APIs
- Experience building robust, fast and scalable systems
- Knowledge of BI tools, data solutions etc.
- Confidence with server configuration and deployment, SQL database management
- Best programming practices: Git/Github, pull requests, code reviews, familiar with agile and TDD
- Loads of other random skills and experience…
It would be great if you had experience with or an interest in learning:
- Continuous Integration / Deployment
We’re offering the opportunity to work within an incredibly talented and friendly team, instigating 21st century learning around the kitchen table and in the classroom. If you want to look back on your career and know that you were a vital part of building a great company, this role is for you.
- Enrolment in the company stock option plan (EMI Scheme)
- 25 days annual leave
- Professional development fund for conferences, courses etc.
- Flexible work hours as needed, to fit around childcare and other priorities
- Weekly team wellness lunch
- A friendly office environment in East London, next to the canal and a short walk from Victoria Park, Broadway Market and London Fields.
If our mission excites you, and you can contribute to our culture of lifelong learning and growth we want to hear from you!
We’re passionate about building a friendly, fun and diverse team. If you are unsure about applying or would like more information about anything please reach out to our Lead Developer, firstname.lastname@example.org for a chat.
Please apply through Work In Startups