GIS Python Software Engineer / Architect
at Brainnwave Ltd in Edinburgh
We are Scotland’s fastest growing start-up across the big data and GIS space; our development team and operations are based in Edinburgh, with an office opening soon in the US. We are building our go-to-market platform with a highly experienced leadership team – and we’re growing fast.
We are looking for an experienced and innovative GIS Engineer to build the GIS backend of our flagship platform.
- Design, specify, setup and tune appropriate server architecture to support a scalable GIS server platform to very large datasets on demand to an ever-growing number of requests
- Design and configure fault tolerance, failover, replication and backup mechanisms specific to GIS systems
- Write data discovery interfaces to catalog spatial datasets and associated metadata
- Write interfaces to GIS servers and services to fetch spatial datasets and deliver to our API
- Setup and maintain OGC-compliant GIS services (WCS, WMS, WFS, proxy services, etc)
What we can offer you:
- Early entry into a small close-knit development team in a growing business
- Work in 100% Python
- Use the best tools, practices, platforms and technology available
- Greenfield development on a clean and modern Python codebase with no legacy code
- Agile development
- Completely flat management structure
- Great location in New Town
What you can offer us:
- At least 4 years’ commercial experience building software in Python
- Commercial experience on a UNIX-like platform
- Complete understanding of GIS concepts, OGC standards, and file formats
- Server experience: GeoServer, MapServer, MapProxy.
- Database experience: PostgreSQL/PostGIS and/or spatiaLite
- An understanding of architectural and design best practices and how to make flexible and scalable software that never fails
- A genuinely perfectionist attitude to development, tempered by just enough pragmatism
What would really float our boat:
- Data science, mathematical, graph theory, machine learning, or AI fields of study or experience
- Experience dealing with very large volumes of data, high performance computing or low latency situations
QGIS or ArcGIS
- MongoDB, Riak, Redis, Cassandra, CouchDB or similar
- Docker, AWS, git, Jenkins, nginx
How to apply
For more information and to apply please send your CV and cover letter to the email address provided.