Clever, nice person for analyst role in friendly VC-backed startup
at Koru Kids in London
(₤25000 per year)
About Koru Kids
Koru Kids is on a mission to improve childcare in London. We’re making it easier and more affordable for families to access flexible and high quality childcare, by helping them share nannies with other families. This helps bring down the cost of childcare for the parents, means the nanny gets paid more, and gives the children a new friend to play with. Parents have responded enthusiastically, and our network of families is growing very fast.
We are backed by fantastic investors, including top venture capitalists and business angels such as Michael Pennington the founder of Gumtree. We won the South of England region in the ‘Best of Britain’ awards 2017, and are currently shortlisted for several awards: the UK Business Awards 2017 as ‘Disruptor of the Year’, and in the Best Women Awards 2017 as ‘Best New Business’, ‘Best Technology’ and ‘Best company working with children and families’.
About the Team
We have an informal, hard-working and kind team culture.
Our founder is Rachel Carrell, the former CEO of DrThom.com, the world’s largest online doctor service, which she grew to over 1.3m paying users in 3 countries. She’s an Oxford alumn, ex-McKinsey, a Rhodes Scholar and a WEF Young Global Leader.
Rachel’s joined by an amazing team with backgrounds including Cambridge, UCL, BCG, KPMG, and some of London’s top startups. We take great care with who we hire and all team members are superbly talented. If you’re brilliant AND humble, you’ll fit right in.
We work from a beautiful co-working space near Old St in central London. The office has free snacks and drinks, a gym and showers, bike storage and a programme of social events.
About the role
We are growing really fast, and we need someone with a strong numerical/analyst background. Part of the role will involve supporting the Head of Operations on payroll and payments, which is a critical part of the business. Part of the role will also be wider operations, which includes helping with recruiting and matching nannies to families. Your day might be spent partly in Excel, partly in Google Sheets, partly in some other software that you suggest to us, partly emailing parents and nannies, and partly talking to them over the phone. You’ll find the work is varied — some of it will be quite repetitive and boring (although really important!), and some of it will be fascinating and exciting.
You’ll have lots of freedom to reflect, analyse, experiment, innovate and improve the way we do things. You’ll be encouraged to think about human psychology, ‘nudges’, messaging and marketing, tracking and analysing data, algorithms and automation – all as part of the job as we improve the way matching works. We’ll welcome your ideas.
You’ll get exposure to all other parts of the business including marketing, finance, and software. At times you might help out with tasks related to these things as well. You’ll be a core member of our team, and you’ll get all the training, coaching and support you need to do your job well. We’ll invest in your development and help you succeed.
Your normal hours of work will be 830am to 6pm, although there may be times when late nights are required to cope with particular ‘spikes’ in demand. We know you have a private life and other commitments and we work as a team to make sure everyone has a good balance. You’ll normally work from our offices near Old St, although if you like to occasionally work from home that’s totally fine too.
3 reasons this role is great: *You will learn a TON. Customer-facing operations will be your main focus, but you’ll get plenty of exposure to marketing and other aspects of the business. You’ll learn how to found a business, about operations, marketing, technology, and finance. You’ll also be surrounded by other startups trying to grow. If you want to, you can get stuck into the London startup scene, with its evening meetups and events, which is incredibly dynamic and fun. *You’ll be making a huge difference to the everyday lives of parents in London. We’re building a business that will profoundly benefit children, women, and families.
- We’re well-connected in the startup world, so working with us will open lots of doors for you even if you leave. We’ve got a strong track record of helping people we’ve worked with
We’re after an all-rounder who is clever, practical, positive and nice. We don’t mind what degree you’ve done, as long as you’ve done well in it — but we’ll be looking for something in your background that shows that you’re strongly numerate. We’ll also be looking for evidence of drive, aspiration, spark and energy in the extracurricular stuff you’ve done.
- You like working with numbers and data. We love people who love analysis
- You have fantastic attention to detail and an ability to get things 100% correct where it really matters — like payroll and payments
- You’re comfortable speaking to new people, both in person and on the phone
- You’re able to write clearly, simply and accurately, with perfect spelling and grammar
- You can work at a fast pace and under pressure
- You’re emotionally intelligent. Although you’ll like to talk, the most important thing you’ll do is listen. Choosing childcare is an emotional decision, and you’ll need to help parents through the process
- You’re a problem-solver. As we are a young company, there aren’t many fixed processes yet. That means you can create new processes, make suggestions, and tell us we’re doing things wrong
- You roll with it. You understand that startups are unpredictable environments. You are comfortable with a degree of chaos
- You’re nice. You get that no player is bigger than the team. You fit right into our culture of supporting and helping each other.
Recent jobs at Koru Kids
- Smart, nice person for marketing analyst role in friendly startup at Koru Kids in London 10-11-2017
- Full Stack Developer (Ruby on Rails) at Koru Kids in London 11-12-2017
- Smart and nice Financial Associate needed for friendly, high-growth startup at Koru Kids in London 12-12-2017