Business Development Manager
at Makers Academy in London
(₤30000 - ₤40000 per year)
Everyone deserves a job they love. Makers Academy retrains career-changers as software developers and helps them find that job.
You deserve a job you love. We’ve got one for you:
Makers Academy is growing phenomenally fast and we need your help to find more employers to hire the developers we train.
This job combines a lot of sales and business development, some consultancy and account management, and a bit of recruitment and events planning.
You’ll have complete freedom to act in a way that you believe is right for the company. You’ll have a genuine say in the way the team operates, and the environment in which you work. You’ll be encouraged to identify problems and solve them; and to seek out new opportunities and pursue them.
Success in this role looks like:
- Finding enough jobs for our developers – so that everyone completing the course has several options available to them – through finding new tech employers, as well as encouraging repeat hires;
- Learning from, and sharing your observations with, the rest of the team;
- Being superbly reflective, and giving and receiving feedback really well;
- Constantly seeking to improve the way you work, and the way we work together.
- Researching tech employers to find suitable environments for our developers;
- Creating email campaigns (and other strategies) to contact large numbers of suitable tech employers;
- Understanding the challenges and needs of the employers you meet;
- Consulting with them, identifying improvements they could make to their recruitment, especially regarding diversity;
- Working closely with them to recruit their ideal Makers from our talent pool.
Within your first three months, you can expect to be:
- Conducting client meetings without support;
- Generating outbound revenue that you’ve sourced yourself;
- Comfortable consulting with CTOs, tech leads and heads of HR about their recruitment strategy (aligned with Makers Academy’s ideas about best practice).
Within your first six months, you should be aiming for:
- Consistent, predictable deal-flow;
- Your contributions to improving the way we work are being adopted by the rest of the team.
- Being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each other;
- Growing as a person, by learning radical transparency, the strength of vulnerability, a growth mindset, emotional intelligence, ‘non-violent communication’ (read more on our blog ), perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively;
- A Perkbox account, including significant discounts on products, experiences and things like gym membership;
- Annual training budget, autonomy to buy books for the office and a high-spec Macbook;
- Working in a company that’s exploring how alternative management systems can help us achieve our ambitions;
- Able to join yoga sessions run for the students (read more on our blog ) and be mentored in successful meditation practices.
- Location: Our academy in Spitalfields, London.
- Salary: We’ll make a negotiable offer, up to £40,000. After you’ve passed your probation, you’ll be encouraged to set your own salary (read more on our blog ).
- Hours: You choose.
- Holiday: Unlimited, paid.
- Management: Makers Academy is a company built on trust, rather than fear (Evgeny, our CEO, wrote about this ).
- 40 mins phone interview
- 60 mins with two people from the team
- A (paid) day in the office, including meeting senior leaders
- Offer & references
We’re building a working environment (and recruitment process) where everyone feels welcome and included – we know we can do a lot better, and we’re committed to learning what more we can do to improve, but we are doing an okay job at the moment. If reading this job description has given you any doubt about whether you’d feel welcome or included at Makers Academy, then we’d like to know how we can improve, so that there’s no doubt at all.
About Makers Academy
Makers Academy is Europe’s first and leading ‘coding bootcamp’ – where career-changers retrain as software developers. Our mission is to transform lives, accelerating the careers of software development professionals by integrating training with employment.
Founded in 2013, we’ve helped more than 1,000 people begin a new career in software, building long-term relationships with tech employers big and small. We’re pretty good at what we do, according to our clients (both developers and employers ), industry bodies , the press and the government. We can only get better by working with you.