📱 About Us
We are Mous (pronounced like 🐭, not like moose!) We were founded on the idea that tech accessories can and should do more for their users, enhancing the experience that our customers have with the tools they use every day. We design and produce best-in-class product solutions with stories worth talking about, by gaining a deep understanding of how people use their tech and by not being afraid to do things differently.
Fundamentally, we make sure our products are noticeably different so we can demonstrate the benefits to the customer through our unique story-telling. This provides our customers with reasons to believe in Mous which are reinforced once the product performs as promised - building a trusted global community.
👋 About You
As Design Engineer at Mous, you'll be the beating heart of the company as you research, concept, prototype, test and deliver on design ideas that will continue to diversify and expand our product offering.
We've got a project with your name on it, so you'll need to hit the ground running and rapidly get to grips with our core product development processes. You'll be very "hands-on" in this role, and we'll look to you to flex your technical and creative muscles to solve a wide range of engineering problems.
Working alongside our existing team of Design Engineers and Industrial Designers, you’ll relish the chance to learn from others, but will be eager to share your own knowledge and experience to ensure we produce the best outcomes for our loyal customers.
In this role, you will report to our UK Design Manager, Jack Freethy
In a nutshell, here's what you'll own in this role:
- The design and development of multiple R&D projects, from research through to manufacture.
- Supplier relationship management: from sourcing new suppliers to managing existing relationships on a day-to-day basis.
Now, here's what we need from you in the first three months with us:
- Develop a strong sense of what makes a Mous product, a Mous product.
- Start to contribute to the designs of multiple projects, supporting on prototyping, development in CAD (SolidWorks) and all associated tasks to the satisfaction of Project and Category Leads.
- Successfully put a part or assembly into production, adhering to our current product development process.
- Strive for continuous improvement of our existing processes.
- Get to grips with our prototyping capabilities in-house (UK & China) and outside the company (UK & CN-based Prototypers), often creating cost-effective prototypes in short timeframes.
Sounds good? This is our forecast for six months to a year:
- Eagerly improve your ability to work with the Mous product development process to ensure the high quality of product design is executed consistently.
- As the team scales, support with operational tasks such as sample storage, materials supply, health and safety protocols.
- Actively pursue multiple avenues to achieve the product specification, working in a logical and consistent manner to make an inherently unpredictable activity, such as product design, as predictable as possible.
- Build strong working relationships with our China-based Production team, to ensure the release of a high quality (minimal product failure rate & high yield production rate) product on time.
- Use your strong communication skills to update Project and Category Leads on the progress of projects and tasks, and our Chinese manufacturers to ensure amendments and improvements to prototypes are completed on time and to spec.
- Use your solid analytical and presentation skills to effectively present key data and insights to our CEO and other relevant departments.
- Use your excellent time management abilities to prioritise daily tasks in accordance with overarching company goals.
It's a super exciting time to join the Mous family, and we're looking for the very best to come aboard our team. Here's what we need from you:
- You'll have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design or Manufacturing Engineering under your belt!
- At least 2 years’ Design Engineering experience with a sound knowledge of product development through prototyping and testing.
- Experience in working the entire production process: from conceptualisation to manufacture, with multiple parts and assemblies.
- Broad understanding of different testing methodology with the ability to communicate product attributes using data.
- In-depth knowledge of injection moulding and key DFM features needed to create a mass manufacturable product, as well as other manufacturing processes such as thermoforming, CNC, sheet metal bending, and extrusion.
- A knowledge of various materials from thermoplastics, composites, to metals.
- Demonstrable evidence of managing and delivering design solutions on time, to specification and within cost and budget parameters.
- Experience evaluating concepts based on spec points.
- Proficient using Excel or Google Sheets with the ability to produce complex reports.
- Highly competent in CAD Modelling, ideally using SolidWorks.
- Commercially aware and detail oriented whilst striving for continuous improvement.
We're not asking for the world (we promise!), but here are some nice-to-haves:
- Chinese Language Skills.
- Previous experience working on consumer electronics products.
- Previous experience of working with manufacturers independently.
- Knowledge and experience working with Surface Modelling.
🎉 Our Offer
Like all responsible companies, we’re currently working from home, but we’ve developed an air-tight remote working and communication system so you’ll be supported through your induction period and well into your working life at Mous. When the world opens back up again, we’ll be based at WeWork in London Fields. As part of the perks of a WeWork location, you’ll have access to regular on-site activities including yoga, breathwork and cookery classes. This will give you the opportunity to excel in a relaxing yet sociable environment.
In addition to our positive, supportive workplace, you can expect the following benefits when working at Mous:
• A competitive starting salary
• A steep learning curve with the chance to make a tangible impact within a growing business
• Outgoing and sociable team with monthly company socials
• Charlie HR perks package including discounts on hundreds of high street brands and services
• 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Employee Pension Scheme
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Bi-weekly fresh fruit delivery from Oddbox (when we're in the office!)
• 30% discount for F&F on all Mous products
• Huge opportunities for career progression in a high-growth start-up. Dream big, work hard and make things happen!
✨ A little bit more about us
Mous was founded in 2014 by a group of twenty-somethings with experience across design, engineering and product. Their mission was to engineer tech accessories trusted to protect and enhance everyday experiences. Following tireless product testing and both an award-winning and record-breaking crowd-funding campaign, Mous brought their first iPhone case to market in 2017, raising a total of $2.5 million in pre-orders. Their commitment to quality materials, design and innovation has seen the company grow from a team of five to a team of over 70 in their four years of operation, covering concept to design and manufacture; from content creation to getting behind and in front of the camera (sometimes even chartering cherry pickers, cranes and helicopters to test product resilience).
With offices in London and China, Mous has now sold over 1.7 million products around the world to-date, across a broad range of tech accessories, proving that you can enter a crowded market and excel if you put quality of design, authentic innovation and customer experience at the heart of what you do.
Mous has expanded their product range, launching their slimmest and most ergonomic case yet, Contour; and their innovative clear case, Clarity. Going from strength-to-strength, Sunday Times Fast Track 100 named Mous One to Watch, and Sir Richard Branson dubbed them a ‘great, young brand.’ They have amassed 99 million YouTube views, and have 182K followers on Instagram.
Mous are a progressive and innovative brand, for people who want tech accessories with a considered and practical design. Co-Founders James Griffith, Lucy Hutchinson and James Day are based in London; Will Mullen is based in China. Not one of them has a broken phone screen.
🌈 Our Commitment
Mous is an equal opportunity employer, and as a brand, we value authenticity and integrity. We strive to be different and know that if we are to create the most innovative products and deliver the best customer experience, we need to build a diverse team of individuals who can bring a variety of skills, experiences and perspectives to the table. No matter your ethnicity, religion, ability, gender, age, gender identity or sexual orientation, at Mous, your uniqueness is celebrated.