With our Series A funding secured, Ably is looking for a leader to scale all of engineering for our globally distributed, fault tolerant, and highly available realtime messaging platform.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet: we handle the complex, behind-the-scenes realtime communication required to power digital experiences like chat, live updates in maps or apps, IoT device control, and remote collaboration.
Developers at companies like HubSpot, Toyota Racing Development, OfferUp, and Hopin choose Ably because, when it comes down to it, we’re the only realtime communication platform that dependably delivers at global internet scale.
The opportunity in front of us is immense. Our mission is to become the definitive realtime infrastructure of the internet while powering and accelerating adoption of realtime user experiences. We’re on track. Everyday we deliver billions of realtime messages to more than 100 million people in 80 different countries across web, mobile, and IoT platforms. But we can’t rest yet. In five years we want to reach one billion people everyday.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at www.ably.io/careers.
What we do
Ably’s engineering team is deeply technical, collectively bringing a wealth of experience and broad technology skills across infrastructure, security, distributed systems, and much more. The calibre of the code we produce is what excites and motivates us each day. If you enjoy solving hard distributed system problems that are mostly platform agnostic and theoretical in nature, then you'll love working at Ably.
In this role
The new VP of Engineering will be an exceptional people leader and thrive on building, developing, and retaining world-class teams. They will have demonstrable experience of managing and scaling engineering teams within a high-growth environment. In addition, they will have past experience of being a software engineer, ideally working with cloud-native infrastructure and distributed systems. They will be hungry, passionate, and excited to join Ably on its exciting journey and join the leadership team in this crucial role.
- Managing and scaling engineering teams within high-growth environments.
- Leading a team of 15+ engineers.
- Exceptional background in software engineering.
- Strong familiarity with B2B, customer-centric products & environments.
- Substantial background of working in cloud-native infrastructures and distributed systems.
- People leadership. An inspiring and engaging leader of people, able to set a vision and bring team members with them. Passion for developing, mentoring, and nurturing team members. Proven track record of retaining top-tier talent. Will drive improvements to engineering delivery and output, further developing a high-performance culture.
- Talent magnet. Proven track record of attracting high-calibre engineers with strong backgrounds. Experience of previously scaling an engineering team in a high-growth environment. Ability to define and promote an employer brand for Ably’s engineering function, raising Ably’s profile within the engineering community.
- Technical depth. Seasoned software practitioner. Informed and technical enough to command respect and trust from engineers across the team. Track record of successfully creating and delivering innovative and disruptive technology products and propositions, across multiple platforms. Strong end-to-end understanding of best practice in technical execution.
- Growth mindset. Approaches challenges with an aspirational mindset, challenge the team to deliver at pace whilst maintaining an exceptionally high technical bar. Thrives in fast-paced environments.
- Product & commercial nous. Strong prioritisation skills, with a natural interest and insight into product strategy. Can effectively balance a wide range of challenges, from technical debt to new product development. Can obtain buy-in from other stakeholders when it comes to resourcing and investment decisions.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Founded by two engineers who spotted a hard and largely unsolved problem, Ably is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide the infrastructure required for a high-bandwidth, remote-first world we hire engineers with a broad set of technical skills who are ready and capable of taking on challenging realtime engineering problems.
As a company and engineering team we’re committed to a future internet that’s open, with all engineers contributing to existing open source projects.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. As an Ablyan, you’ll enjoy taking ownership and making an impact, with work that is both varied and challenging. And to really thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values, which are:
- Open for all. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
- Bias for action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
- Even the best do better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
- Technology needs humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
- Dependable people make dependable things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
What’s in it for you?
- A good, competitive salary
- Share options
- A remote first company. Unless you want to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London, you'll work from home most of the time, apart from when we have planning sessions/Summits which happen on average once a month.
- Health insurance, including Doctor@Hand
- Employee Assistance Programme
- ClassPass membership
- Cycle to work
- Regular company away days and social events
- Weekly team breakfast or lunch
- Free drinks and snacks in the office
- Ongoing professional development (training, events, conferences), including an assigned budget
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- Company contributions towards your pension
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the spec exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email. We’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.