What is Howbout? 🎈
Howbout is a social planning app that modernises the calendar and the way you organise your social & personal life. It helps you instantly find a date you’re all free, easily organise any in-person or virtual event and quickly manage everything you’ve got going on.
Following a really exciting 1st year – where we were downloaded 30,000 times, were featured 3x by Apple, helped users in >100 countries organise more than 700 events a day and got backing from a senior Snapchat exec – we’re looking to grow our team and take Howbout to the next level. For more information about Howbout, check out our website.
Who are we looking for? 👋
We’re looking for a full-time Full Stack Developer to help us continue building the ultimate social planning app. You’ll contribute new product ideas and plan, develop and test new app features, across frontend and backend systems.
What’s the role? 💻
- As a Software Engineer at Howbout, you’ll be working alongside our 2 existing engineers, Duncan and Cal. Given our early stage, your work will actively drive the company’s next stage of growth and you’ll be working on all elements of the tech stack
- Although your main role will be focused on the tech side of the business, you’ll be working closely with the founding team, allowing you to input on key development and business issues
What will you be doing? 👨💻
- Working on all elements of our tech stack
- Designing, implementing and testing new product and platform features, including frontend and backend development of the app
- API and infrastructure development
- Working in an agile team environment with daily stand-ups
- Contributing to design and product meetings
What’s the Howbout stack? 🤖
- Ionic Cordova app for iOS and Android, written in Typescript
- Laravel API, written in PHP, served by AWS Lambda
- AWS Aurora MySQL database
What do we need from you? 😃
- Knowledge and experience of the following Howbout stack technologies is not directly required but preferred:
- Laravel / PHP
- HTML5 / SASS / CSS
- A drive to automate everything and ensure anything newly built is fully tested
- Experience with Git or other version control systems
- A strong work ethic, team player mentality and ability to work independently
- A sense of humour – we don’t take life too seriously at Howbout!
- The passion to learn new technologies
- A degree in Computer Science or a related field, or the personal or professional experience to show that this doesn’t matter
What’s in it for you? 🙌
- Full-time position at a high growth tech startup
- Opportunity to shape the company as one of its earliest employees
- Competitive salary and generous share option package
- Remote working during Covid, including a contribution towards your WFH setup
- Post-pandemic, flexible WFH policy
- Regular company events with a young, social team
- Early finish Fridays
- Training and career progression opportunities
- + more as we continue to grow and expand our office, team and social perks
What’re the next steps? 🤝
If you’re interested, please shoot us your CV and, if you have any, examples of previous work / projects (e.g. via GitHub) and we’ll be in touch.