In short: We're looking for our 2nd product designer to help build the future of DesignOps
zeroheight's mission is to be the world's first DesignOps platform. DesignOps is a new workflow where designers and developers are truly on the same page: delivering great products while maintaining high UX quality.
Our current product allows any company to create and maintain a design system - an important first step in DesignOps. We've grown to 900+ paying customers by focusing on our user's needs and setting a high bar for design. We're a team of 10 - eager to grow and keep delivering on this exciting vision for DesignOps - come help us!
Learn more on our About us page
Why should you join?
- zeroheight is working on design tools. This means you'll be helping to build a product you'd actually want to use! Many of our users are designers themselves and (as you'll know) they're a friendly bunch.
- We're a small company and that means there are lots of opportunities to help out with all manner of things outside your normal role (such as strategy or product management). This is great if you're looking to expand your skills and get startup experience.
- You'll be the second member of the design team and therefore play a big part in building the future culture and practices. zeroheight has been design-led since our founding (we are building design tools after all!), giving design a seat at the table in everything we do.
- This is a great time to join zeroheight; we're growing fast and we're at the cutting edge of the UX industry. The role comes with equity to provide ownership and the ability to grow with the company. Thanks to the backing of investors like Y Combinator and Adobe, we have everything we need to become the leader in DesignOps.
You'll come onboard as the second member of the design team. Your primary responsibility will be to ensure that users understand how to use the product, but you'll be working collaboratively with the product team throughout all stages (discovery → delivery → iteration). Design is critical to zeroheight so you'll be expected to contribute to good processes and be continuously raising the bar.
The product team's objective is to solve user's problems in ways they love and that work for the business. At zeroheight, we're working to build empowered product teams. This means teams are given problems to solve and then are empowered to solve them. Instead of focusing on output (design work / features), we want to focus on outcome (business results). We're not pretending to be 100% of the way there with this model but we're on the road. We believe everyone makes better products when they're empowered.
You'll use the following tools / methods:
- prototyping - you'll use prototypes as a canvas to communicate ideas both internally and externally
- user testing - you'll be in constant weekly contact with users: validating and refining ideas, listening to feedback and testing value
- UX - you'll consider the experience as a whole to ensure that users can actually realise the value we're providing. This will involve thinking about the emotional, social and functional uses of the product, the onboarding, how users share their experience with others and much more.
- design systems - we're a design system company so..... we do indeed have a design system ourselves! You'll be part of adding to it and improving the documentation.
- Figma - we use Figma for designing and prototyping, as well as a team whiteboard in these remote times.
- document everything! - we use Notion for our process documentation and try our hardest to answer every question with a link. This means we have a great knowledge-base that we're constantly improving.
Are we a good match?
If you tick most of the boxes below, let's talk!
- You're looking for a serious relationship - You're really excited about DesignOps and Design Systems. You want to get stuck in and work somewhere long enough to have a real impact. You're super ambitious and not afraid of owning your work - for better or for worse - and taking on more responsibility as the company grows.
- 5+ years experience as a UI / UX designer - You're autonomous, knowing when to innovate and when to use existing solutions. You're confident enough in your abilities to handle critical feedback well. You have years of experience under your belt in a variety of team settings working on "real life" products and talking to users. You've used a variety of different design tools and aren't afraid to learn new ones.
- You have a portfolio of your product design work - show us what you've got! Add the link to your application in the website field.
- You're ready for the challenge of a startup - you love trying out a bit of everything and acquiring new skills. While startups can be a little chaotic, you appreciate them as a unique place to learn quickly through real-world problems.
- You're user-centric - everything is about solving the user's problems. Once you've learned as much as possible from the users themselves, you use a blend of UX knowledge and an understanding of human behaviour to find solutions.
- You apply 😀
- Hello 👋 (40m, video call)
- Experience interview 📝 (1h, video call)
- Team interview 🤝 (1h, video call)
- Founder interview 🌱 (1h, video call)
- We make a decision quickly and let you know
That's it. Now don't be shy, apply! 👋