Hello, we’re Farewill - we build simple, beautiful products to change the way the world deals with death.
We have some pretty big plans and ambitions for 2021 (and beyond) and to deliver on these we think we need to lean into our competitive advantage of solving emotionally charged, human problems with a design-led approach. So we’re hiring a new role, a head of design to lead and grow our passionate, diverse and ambitious design team and make our mission a reality.
You'll play a key role reimagining an entire industry
At Farewill we’re revolutionising what it means to deal with death. The work we do has a massive impact on people's lives. Whether that's helping them deal with the death of a loved one, or making it easier to contemplate and deal with their own mortality. We’re the UK’s largest will-writer, and well on the way to #1 with probate and funerals too. You’ll lead our design guild in developing the vision for our product experiences and bringing it to life - irreversibly changing an entire industry along the way.
You’ll lead, grow and develop a brilliant multi-disciplinary team
At Farewill our design team is a broad house. You'll be nurturing a talented team consisting of product and brand design and user research, with plans for content design in the future. We wholeheartedly believe in a collaborative approach, and you'll be central to fostering our inclusive culture.
You'll help each person to maximise their impact, whilst bringing consistency and quality of execution to the whole team. In the next 12 months you'll double the size of your team, thinking carefully about what specialisms will have the biggest impact, and how we should go about hiring them.
You’ll help make Farewill a phenomenal place to work
You’ll join our leadership team, reporting directly to co-founder CPTO Tom Rogers & working closely with Jem Elliot (Head of Brand & Comms). You’ll contribute to company and product strategy while exemplifying our culture and role modelling our company behaviours and beliefs (see our culture deck).
OK, so what does this mean in practice? What will I actually be doing day to day?
- you’ll be managing the entire design team either directly or through others - so running 1-1s, coaching and reviews will be a key part of helping the team perform at their best
- you’ll be a key member of the leadership team, involved in our regular meetings, strategy sessions and ad-hoc problem solving across the business
- you’ll be running and iterating on different parts of our design processes, whether it’s design crits, ways of working or tooling - we’ll be expecting you to be able to spot gaps and help the team find solutions
- you’ll work closely with other functions such as brand and marketing, making sure these parts of the business move in-step and amplify each other
- you’ll work with Tom (CPTO) and Sally (Head of Engineering) to set a roadmap of hires and then deliver on that
- last but not least, you’ll be involved in company events and rituals, whether it’s All-Hands (our company meeting), Friday 5s (lightning talks on a Friday), passion talks (internal/external lunch + learns) or our company off-sites!
So that’s us, what about you?
You’ll care about developing & nurturing high-performance teams:
- you are experienced in leading, coaching and mentoring designers at scale and ideally in a fast paced, high growth, technology focused organisation
- you’ve managed other managers and helped to improve practices of a management team
- you know how to build both teams and systems that scale. You think ahead and build for the future, whilst maintaining momentum in the present
- you’re an excellent communicator and presenter, whether to the design team, to business stakeholders or to the leadership team
You’ll have proven expertise as a designer
- a background in one or more of the design specialisms you’d be leading (e.g. product design, research or content design) across various phases of product development (e.g. building, launching and scaling)
- you’ve got experience collaborating effectively across other functions and teams (e.g. marketing, brand, engineering and product).
Still not sure? Here’s what else we think makes this role unique:
- We’re growing lightning fast having closed a £20m Series B last year
- We’ve got a stellar reputation
- Top 20 Companies to work for in London
- Hottest Social Innovation 2020 (Europas)
- Best use of Data (Third Sector Awards)
- Consumer Business of the Year 2020 (Spectator - nominated)
- We’ve also helped to raise a cool £30m for charity in the last few years
And you’ll also get:
- competitive salary and generous stock options
- 28 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- flexible working including when you start & end your day, and how often you come into the office*
- personal development budget of 3 days and £1000 per year
- regular ‘passion talks’ and a range of team socials
- Santander cycles membership
- A chance to make a meaningful contribution to people's lives and deaths.
And much more!
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you. If you’re not sure that you exactly fit the above criteria, get in touch anyway. Ability and attitude is just as important as experience. Applications close on 7th Feb.
* Coronavirus update: Currently our lovely office in Haggerston is available if people want (and only if they want) to use it. Previously we had work from home Wednesdays and are looking to expand remote working options long term.
At Farewill, we’re out to change the way the world deals with death. Helping people to take control, personally and financially, of what matters to them after they’re gone.
We launched our first product - our will-writing service - in December 2016, and since then we’ve grown to be the largest will-writer in the UK. We launched our second product, Probate, in early 2019, and recently our third, Cremation.
Our growth to date has been driven by an exceptional product (see our customer reviews) and key strategic partnerships. We’ve been featured in Forbes, The Times, The Guardian and on Radio 4 among others. We're also making waves in the charity world, with over £100 million raised for charities on our platform from gifts left in wills.
We’re a creative, focused team who love what we do. We have backgrounds in design, technology, behavioural psychology, and management consultancy. We love to learn from each other and our customers, and grow together as a team.
We’re backed by some of the best investors in Europe - from the founders of Transferwise and Zoopla, to Augmentum, Kindred Capital, and (in our Series B round that we closed mid-2020) Highland Europe.
This is an unusual, fascinating, and emotional area to work in – if you’re up for a big challenge we’d love to meet you.
If you’d like to understand our culture and product better, here’s a few articles for you to read: About Farewill, Life at Farewill, Are you worried about your will?