📣 A bit about the role.
With a growing focus on customer lifetime value (the accumulated profit that a customer generates over their time with us), Butternut is growing the commercial team. We are looking for a commercial analyst to join the squad and help spearhead our efforts to build lifetime value. This person will take the lead on understanding key commercial questions, ensure that decisions are made based on strong analytical reasoning, and take projects all the way from inception to implementation.
We are a subscription business and at the moment we have good plans for how/where we acquire customers. The lifetime value team will focus on generating revenue and margin amongst our existing customers (and those who have lapsed). Joining the lifetime value team you'll be delivering new initiatives that improve retention, discounting, revenue, and much more.
The lifetime value of a customer is impacted by all areas of the business, and as a commercial analyst, you'll be exposed to every aspect of the company. You'll deliver actionable insight and report on key metrics to colleagues in almost every department and at every level. So we're not just looking for an analyst but a good people person who is keen to learn from and work with as many different people as possible.
In this role you will:
- Gain a full understanding of all key commercial metrics (conversion rate, retention, cross-sell, etc.) and be proactive in identifying areas of concern and underperformance
- You'll need to be on top of all the numbers and a source of truth for all things related to lifetime value
- Develop and implement big ticket initiatives that improve customer lifetime value
- Turning ideas, from inside and outside the business, into action. Testing a hypothesis, working with marketing and digital product to release new features, and monitoring lifetime value improvements
- Learn how to extract, manipulate and analyse all key commercial data to become 'self-sufficient' in your analysis
- You'll be working with our BI tools to connect data from across the business (some quantitative and some qualitative) to build better understanding and insight
- Work effectively alongside our other analysts in the business and build a strong data culture within Butternut
- As we grow as a company, so does our database and the insight we can gather from it. You'll be pioneering the correct and efficient use of this powerful data
- Work as part of a team to draw out the commercial implications of pieces of analysis and provide concise summaries to senior management.
- We are still a young business and there is lots of insight waiting to be extracted from the data we already have. The reports and insight you produce from this data will be key in defining the strategy at an executive level
- Manage and improve some of the key reports consumed by the whole company
- Making sure your colleagues have reliable and up to date numbers will make you indispensable. Spending time making these reports dynamic and easily interpretable will be good for the business and for your own time
👋 A bit about you.
- STEM degree (2:1 and above)
- Advanced Excel skills and comfortable with (or willing to learn) SQL, KNIME, Python, and tools such as Metabase or Looker.
- Numerate and confident in manipulating and interrogating data.
- Commercial awareness/acumen.
- A structured problem-solving approach (or a willingness to learn and adopt one).
- Curious about customer motivations and human behaviour.
- Curious about trading trends and patterns.
- Strong communication, teamwork and influencing skills.
- Love a challenge and a brain teaser
- Passion for start-ups
- Obsessed with dogs
🐶 A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
Our goal is to help dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives whilst leaving humans smiling after every interaction. We’ve come a long way since our co-founders (Kev & Dave) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box, we now feed a lot of dogs across the UK - but we want to feed dogs everywhere. And to do this, we need a team of brilliant people who share that ambition to come and work with us.
🙌 A bit about what we offer.
- 25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays) and an additional day for every year of service
- £500 personal learning & development budget
- Co-working office space
- Butternut Box employee discount
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension with NEST
- Flexible working hours and work from home options
- Friday drinks and monthly team socials
- Lots of office dogs (Apple, Chambo, Willow, Pugwash, Bella, Gizmo, River, Pip and many more….)
❗️A few things to note:
- There is no closing date for this role. However, we normally experience a high volume of applications so if you are interested we suggest applying as soon as possible.
- We aim to respond to all applicants personally. Our recruitment team is small so do bear with us.
- Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We're not afraid of putting extra weight on candidates from underrepresented groups. We want strong, diverse teams built from different backgrounds, experiences, and identities. We're ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
- We are not looking for external agency support with this role.