Ember is a VC-backed start-up based in London. We're building a transformative financial experience that improves the lives of small business owners.
We believe that running your own business shouldn't be restricted to those with a financial background – so we’re making launching, operating and growing a business simple enough for anyone to do. By using technology to automate accounting and tax, we're giving small business owners the time and headspace to focus on what really matters.
Since launching in May, we've taken on our initial group of early adopter businesses (you can read a few of our Trustpilot reviews here), established clear product-market fit and have successfully raised our £1.6m Seed round.
We're now entering the next phase of our growth and scaling the product to reach more businesses across the UK, with the aim of getting Ember into the hands of 5,000 businesses by February 2022.
Where do you fit in?
We're looking for an exceptionally talented Tech Lead to join our tight-knit team. Your role will be to lead the technical direction of the platform, architect and build new features, in addition to helping build Ember's engineering team as we begin to scale over the next 12 months.
Expect challenging and fast-paced work, rapid growth and to work with an incredibly motivated and talented team.
What does the role entail?
- Lead technical direction: As the Tech Lead, you will be responsible for driving the technical side of the company, ensuring that we're building a platform that allows us to keep moving quickly whilst ensuring we still provide our users with the best possible experience.
- Scale the platform: Over the next 12 months, we're anticipating to grow our user base 50x. You'll work closely with our technical founder to identify and mitigate any issues that could crop up as we scale.
- Build and manage a high performing engineering team: Over the next 12 months, we'll be looking to scale our engineering team to around 6 people. As the Tech Lead, you'll be instrumental in shaping the structure of that team, onboarding engineers and ensuring high performance within the engineering organisation.
- Help drive our roadmap: We have an extremely exciting and ambitious roadmap. You'll work closely with the product team to help weigh and prioritise which features get implemented, and when.
- Add a technical spin to tickets: You'll work closely with the Product Manager to ensure that tickets are sufficiently scoped out from a technical perspective to allow any developer to pick it up and work on it.
- Write code: We're a small team moving exceptionally quickly. In the early days, we'll need all hands on deck - so we're looking for someone who can get their hands dirty and code, as well as someone who can offer technical leadership and vision.
Why this role?
- Impact: As an integral part of our early team, you will have a tangible impact on revolutionising an industry; redefining what it means to launch, operate and grow a business here in the UK.
- Exceptional team: We pride ourselves on having an exceptional team comprised of some of the most talented individuals in the industry. We love what we do.
- Ownership: Not only will you have real say in the technical direction of the business, but you'll also own a part of what you're building. We offer share options to everyone in our team to ensure that when Ember wins, we all win.
- Trajectory: We've built a platform our user's love, established clear product-market fit and secured the capital to help us grow. We have the foundations in place and the momentum to help us grow into one of the flagship London startups over the next 5 years.