We seek an enthusiastic and collaborative educational professional who is knowledgeable about approaches to teaching and learning online. We’re looking for someone who is steeped in pedagogic theory and eager to apply this to the development of courses hosted on FutureLearn.com.
In this post, you will join the Learning team, which sits under the wider Content team. The Learning team provides course design and development services along with consultancy to FutureLearn’s diverse mix of universities, specialistic educational organisations and corporate clients. You will take charge of the design phase of course development projects and devise social learning experiences that are innovative, inspiring and enjoyable. You will provide expertise in pedagogy and advise on course design best practice and instil this in others, including our partners and suppliers.
We’d like to hear from creative thinkers and tinkerers – people who love breaking down complex concepts and presenting them in a way that makes them accessible to our learners, and in particular, those who can promote our in-house learning design best practice as training, templates and guidance which empower partners to design fantastic courses and speed and scale.
If you take personal satisfaction in observing people with diverse knowledge and backgrounds easily comprehend and work with your ideas, we want to hear from you.
To help people find this advert, we've given this post the title of Learning Designer; you might call yourself something different at the moment (Learner Experience Designer, Instructional Designer or Learning Technologist, perhaps). But if you have experience in learning and teaching and want to become a Learning Designer at FutureLearn, we want to hear from you.
- Facilitates the learning design process with academic staff, content development teams, external clients, and other stakeholders.
- Collaborates with content producers, graphic designers and video production teams to design and create compelling online learning materials.
- Collaborates with, and supports, the other Learning Designers employed by FutureLearn or working for partners and clients.
- Provides consultancy and induction training to new partners to build their online education skills and capabilities (including MOOCs, professional qualification programs and online degrees).
- Coaches and supports subject matter experts during all stages of course development.
- Represents FutureLearn at business development meetings (face to face, or remote) with prospective partners and clients.
- Audits selected courses during quality assurance and acts as liaison between the Courses and Learning team and Clients
- Ensures courses are designed according to FutureLearn’s published quality criteria
- Experience working in the area of education technology, adult learning, organisational learning and development or a related field.
- Pedagogical knowledge and awareness of the theories, practices and debates surrounding learning, teaching and technology-enhanced learning.
- Demonstrable practical experience of designing effective online, blended and/or distance learning experiences.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (one-to-one, group situations, presentations) both internally and client-facing.
- Ability to summarise and synthesise research findings and to make recommendations.
- Ability to work independently on longer term projects as well as in small cross-functional task-oriented teams on short term goals.
- Ability to write high-quality documentation and reports
- Develops efficient and productive learning design processes, workflows and consultancy services aligned to FutureLearn’s social learning pedagogy.
- Helps analyse the performance of past courses and recommends areas of improvement.
- Actively keeps abreast of research across the FutureLearn partnership and the wider educational technology sector. Disseminates findings to colleagues.
- Understanding of the higher education sector.
- Experience of leading, managing and/or guiding the work of others.
- Knowledge of the online learning platform / MOOC marketplace and awareness of the challenges of distance learning at scale and in small cohorts.
- Experience of working collaboratively with agile digital product development teams – ideally in a consumer-facing environment
- Competitive Salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Westfield Healthcare Cash Plan
- Free access to Calm app
- Dedicated personal learning & development budget
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
Higher education is being rapidly disrupted by digitisation, globalisation and industry moving into the educational space. At the same time, people’s job security is at risk from rapidly evolving industries, robotics & AI, increasing demand for up-to-date technical, data, digital skills, and shorter job spans. Increasingly we are all transforming into lifelong learners, looking to upskill, reskill or entertain ourselves via effective educational content that provides quality, credentialed and recognised outcomes. In emerging markets the internet is accelerating this trend and opening up access to educational products from universities or institutions thousands of miles away, where previously cost, travel or admission requirements would have made study impossible.
FutureLearn was founded 8 years ago by The Open University, with the purpose of transforming access to education. Our mission is to ride the wave of these trends, and meet the needs of the professional lifelong learner across the globe. With new investment from the SEEK group, FutureLearn is now looking to expand globally, focusing on providing credible and valued lifelong learning pathways to professional learners, anywhere, any time from a mix of institutional and industry partners.
Please use our online form by pressing 'Apply for this job' below, including your CV and a cover letter telling us why you'd like to come work with us.
Please note this role will be a remote role whilst FutureLearn's office is closed. Once the office is open again this role will be a full time, office based role.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
No recruitment agents please.
We value all the great benefits that diversity brings and encourage everyone to bring their whole self at work, regardless of gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or disability.
We encourage freelancers and people who have been made redundant as a result of COVID-19 to apply for opportunities at FutureLearn. We believe that in these difficult times, good employers have to rise to the occasion and play their part in the community. At FutureLearn, we take care of each other.