Robin AI is a young, exciting, venture-backed technology company whose mission is to dramatically reduce the cost and complexity of legal advice. Backed by Forward Partners (one of London’s leading early stage investors), Robin use a combination of human and artificial intelligence to review and edit contracts and are building software to fundamentally change the legal industry.
Robin was established in March 2019 by CEO Richard Robinson (a former City lawyer) and CTO James Clough (a theoretical physicist who works in Machine Learning). They have since assembled a talented and diverse team of legal, software and machine learning engineers to build the next generation of contracting tools.
Why is this role important to Robin AI?
At Robin AI, we create groundbreaking products that are transforming legal teams. Our work is multi-disciplinary and brings together the best talent in engineering, AI and the law. Our current product uses machine learning to read and comprehend written contracts, assesses whether they adhere to our customers’ preferred positions, and then automatically amends them. But our ambitions go way beyond reviewing contracts – we want to build technology that changes the way companies all over the world do deals.
The legal industry has, thus far, been slow to embrace artificial intelligence. In part this is because the law is a naturally conservative industry, one we think is ready for disruption. But it is also because existing technology has struggled to tackle some of the unique challenges this field presents. Data is usually confidential and so datasets are limited in size. And the legal and financial stakes are high, meaning that high model accuracy and interpretability are especially important. Traditional NLP approaches can fail on legal tasks due to the unusual and precise meanings of particular words and phrases. All of these factors mean that we at Robin AI face a unique set of technical challenges that can only be tackled by creative and cross-disciplinary thinking.
As a machine learning engineer at Robin, you will be a leader in our ongoing effort to overcome these challenges. You will design and implement the taxonomy and models we use to understand the meaning of legal documents, and build scalable training pipelines. By keeping up to date with the latest research you will bring state of the art methods into our customer-facing product as we expand our service across different industries and contract types. As well as developing the technology that enables us to comprehend the unstructured documents currently used in legal services you will also help us develop the technology to draft, edit and query more structured documents, automatically editing their legal meaning.
Machine learning plays a pivotal roles in Robin’s core business because it is the best way to take the millions of contracts we want to analyse and make them structured enough to be manipulated by AI.
Our Tech Stack
Our machine learning pipeline is written in PyTorch, using HuggingFace Transformers models as a base. We also use spaCy for natural language processing and have built our own libraries for integrating with technologies used by legal teams. Models are trained and deployed on cloud services (GCP and AWS). The back-end services of our product are implemented with Python web frameworks (Django, Flask) and interact with our ML services using APIs written by the ML team.
Sounds great! What are my responsibilities?
- Own and build our machine learning infrastructure - for both offline training and online inference.
- Keep up to take with the latest tools, methods and research, and bring cutting edge technologies into our products.
- Delve into our datasets, and understand the complex environment our products operate in, so that you can improve the way we use ML to automate challenging work.
- Mentor junior team members and become a leader in a growing ML team.
What about my skills?
- You have experience designing, implementing and training machine learning models using a modern Python ML framework.
- You write high quality, well-tested code, and have experience putting machine learning models into real products.
- You are a strong communicator who can both explain complex technical ideas to others, and can productively engage with experts in other domains to understand the technical needs of the company as a whole.
- (Desirable) You have a background working in a start-up or similar size organisation and are passionate about building high quality products.
- (Desirable) You have experience applying ML to natural language processing tasks.
- You will enjoy working in a stimulating, diverse and intellectually challenging environment where collaboration is essential to achieving results, and be confident managing your own schedule while achieving measurable results.
What are the benefits of working at Robin AI?
We’re a small, cross-functional team where we are constantly using our skills to teach each other. If you work with us, you can expect:
- Competitive salary (between £60,000 - £80,000, dependent on experience) + generous equity package.
- Flexible working + working from home.
- Access to online learning materials.
- Laptop, office equipment and a personal desk plant!
- Our offices are at WeWork in Bank, where you will have a dedicated desk in our private office space, which you are free to personalise as you wish. We also have access to all of the amenities within WeWork including a pool table, table football, table tennis, co-working space, free barista-made coffee and free beer in the evenings. Given the current lockdown we are all working from home, and you can expect to work in a hybrid-remote model as restrictions are lifted.