We’re looking for a People Operations Lead to join our growing People Team at Farewill.
This role is a unique opportunity to maximise impact to our company mission by building the best environment for the Farewill team to change the way the world deals with death - and have an amazing employee experience at the same time.
We see People Ops as far more than just covering admin, office, IT, HR and contracts. There are countless processes that each team member has to adhere to or participate in, and the purpose of People Ops is to optimise all of these to be useful & painless from the employee perspective, and measurable, reliable & efficient from the People Team perspective.
We see People Ops as a product that we offer to our employees and candidates. You’ll propose, design, trial and roll out wide-ranging tools, processes and operating procedures to enable managers and their direct reports to focus on doing their jobs. You’ll run tests, gather feedback and iterate with the goal of zero People Team interaction when you’re done, without compromising on level of support or fairness.
In the last 12 months we’ve doubled in size to over 120 in headcount, and have a nascent People team of 8 reporting to the Chief of Staff. In this role, you’ll line-manage two of the team from the get-go, and rapidly build out the People Ops function to set Farewill up to scale to more than double in size again over the next 12 months.
In the next 12 months you will:
- Lead the creation of new processes that are scalable and automated where possible
- Create a KPI dashboard and work closely with the rest of our People and Leadership Teams
- Line manage IT & Office and rapidly build the People Ops function
- Create office and remote setups that are cost-effective, fit our policies and maximise engagement & productivity
- Minimise risks including data security and HR
- Provide documentation, equipment & tools to enable the team to focus on doing their jobs
- Optimise our onboarding experience for new joiners and hiring managers
Hopefully, you’ll have some or all of the following:
- Previous senior HR generalist role, partnering with business leaders
- Management experience including line managing multiple direct reports, determining team structure and being the hiring manager for new roles
- Tech-savvy, data-driven and logical in both thinking and communication
- Aptitude for spotting gaps & patterns, solving problems and optimising processes creatively
Some extra skills that would be great:
- Previous management of People Ops teams including determining how the team works with other areas of the business, and ownership of deliverables & KPIs
- Previous accountability for onboarding experience, office/remote working setups, scalability of processes, and team enablement through documentation, equipment & tools
- Product experience and mindset including design-thinking, agile working & experimentation
- Competitive salary and generous stock options
- 28 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Flexible working including when you start & end your day, and how often you come into the office*
- Personal development budget of 3 days and £1000 per year
- Regular ‘passion talks’ and a range of team socials
- Santander cycles membership!
- A chance to make a meaningful contribution to people's lives and deaths
And much more! Applications close soon.
At Farewill, our mission is to change the way the world deals with death - to make it simple, personal, fairly-priced & accessible to everyone.
To do that, we want to build a workplace that’s great for everyone, that celebrates diversity in all its forms, and where everyone who works for us feels like they can be themselves, bring their whole selves to work, and be treated fairly, equitably and respectfully.
We believe flexibility is important, so we’re happy to chat to you about flexible/remote working options. And, If you need any flexibility or adjustments in our interview process - to help set you up for success - then please let us know too.
At Farewill, we’re out to change the way the world deals with death. Helping people to take control, personally and financially, of what matters to them after they’re gone.
We launched our first product - our will-writing service - in December 2016, and since then we’ve grown to be the largest will-writer in the UK. We launched our second product, Probate, in early 2019, and recently our third, Cremation.
Our growth to date has been driven by an exceptional product (see our customer reviews) and key strategic partnerships. We’ve been featured in Forbes, The Times, The Guardian and on Radio 4 among others. We're also making waves in the charity world, with over £100 million raised for charities on our platform from gifts left in wills.
We’re a creative, focused team who love what we do. We have backgrounds in design, technology, behavioural psychology, and management consultancy. We love to learn from each other and our customers, and grow together as a team.
We’re backed by some of the best investors in Europe - from the founders of Transferwise and Zoopla, to Augmentum, Kindred Capital, and (in our Series B round that we closed mid-2020) Highland Europe.
This is an unusual, fascinating, and emotional area to work in – if you’re up for a big challenge we’d love to meet you.
If you’d like to understand our culture and product better, here’s a few articles for you to read: About Farewill, Life at Farewill, Are you worried about your will?