econscia is a young startup, founded 2020. We’re on a mission to help companies tackle their carbon footprints, with powerful analytical tools.
Our product, econscia cloud, is a solution for corporates to model their carbon emissions, using their own internal data.
We’re looking for our first hire to join the engineering team to continue building our platform for our first customers!
We are a team of two founders, Cyrus and Ed, and funded through angel investment. We’ve worked together previously in B2B SaaS, and are looking to bring our first team member into the company.
We are fully remote, but we hot desk at Sustainable Ventures in London Bridge a few times weekly. We’ll be mostly remote for the foreseeable future. London employees preferred, but fully remote will be considered too.
We are closing our first customers, which are a range of mid-size industrial companies from the UK, USA and EU, with complex supply chains.
econscia is a product for corporates to model and report carbon emissions. Sustainability teams spend months each year gathering and making sense of data from every part of their leaving little time to act on the problem. It’s inefficient and slow - and helps neither companies nor the environment.
You’ll work alongside us as we develop a powerful solution to automate this process, reducing time spent reporting from months to weeks, empowering sustainability teams to take positive action on climate change.
What you’ll do
You will be joining as econscia’s 3rd team member at an exciting time. You will be a core member of the engineering team and have significant contribution building out the econscia Cloud platform. Whilst we are already working on the product, there are huge opportunities to shape our modelling, architecture and platform from day one.
You will be working on different challenges day to day. This could be getting deep into research from which you’ll develop prototypes and POCs, modeling carbon impacts of business activities, or scraping industrial production data for client models. We hope you can work with us to own key aspects of econscia’s analytics engine, but can also roll up your sleeves and dive into research, onboard customers, or dabble in unfamiliar technologies quickly - when the job needs to get done. Over time, the opportunity is yours to shape this role as we grow.
Who you are
You will come from a quantitative or technical field, and have:
- A strong background in statistical modelling
- Well-versed in NLP techniques - Text classification and harmonising datasets
- Experienced in developing and maintaining robust machine learning models
- Confident in analysing and processing large datasets, such as from common enterprise IT systems (business operational data, procurement metrics, industrial materials, etc.)
- Proficient in writing production ready Python
- Keen to upskill in carbon accounting / LCA and customer sustainability needs
- A wizard in creating compelling dashboard visualizations
- A great communicator of complex information clearly to different audiences
- A passion for addressing climate change
It would be an added bonus if you have experience with any of these, to complement our current skills:
- Deploying models on AWS, particularly serverless components
- Familiarity working with front-end web frameworks
- Building data pipelines ETL/ELT
- Productionising / developing APIs for front-end
- Corporate sustainability, LCA, EEIO, carbon accounting
- Quantitative modelling of economic or material flows (e.g EIO)
How we work
We think a lot about ways of working, and always look to better ourselves through different tools and techniques. We’re always excited to learn new practices and culture from other people and teams.
- Deep work
- finding ways to achieve strong focus and pace in mind
- specific and actionable feedback on a regular cadence from all team members
- Continuous improvement
- challenging our own workflows, automating as much as possible
- Decide fast
- timeboxing decisions, deciding fast, learning as quickly as we can, and accepting failure
- team members choose how, where and when they contribute
Whilst we are still a small company, values are important to us - especially as we look to grow.
- We work to achieve more tomorrow than we can today - in our tools, work, mindset and outcomes. We raise the bar and remove comfort. We try to see opportunities, not limitations, and aim for better as individuals and teams.
- A healthy body is a healthy mind. We aren’t religious, but we try to promote the right habits, and make time for balance and wellbeing amongst work.
- We avoid bullshit and aim to satisfy the needs of customers, and not our own.
- We try to be honest, and then we move on. The path to quality and improvement lies in honesty to yourself and others around you.
- Speed wins when all else is equal, but pace is about consistency and well-calibrated direction. Decisions are reversible and trying but failing should be celebrated.
- We believe the purpose of the team is to create a safe, high-trust environment to maximise individual performance. This touches all our work - including our behaviours, tools, communication, culture, support and motivation. We work to compound each other's efforts, and we're responsible to find the best in ourselves and others. We build discipline and routine, as the foundation for strong execution.
Why work at econscia
- Up to £50k pa with equity options + pension
- 28 day’s holiday
- No-fly holidays policy: days spent travelling to holiday without flying don’t count toward your holiday allowance
- Deep work Wednesdays (no meetings - full focus)
- Flexible hours: choose how, when and where you work
- Modern central London co-working office space (Sustainable Ventures), and remote working
- A working environment where ideas and challenges are always encouraged
- Personal monthly Fiverr budget - Delegate busy work and tasks you don’t want to do
- Work to make a real impact on the planet