We are building an innovative product in the travel industry that combines the expertise of travel professionals (agents/planners/writers) with machine learning to create bespoke, personalised travel plans.
We have tested the concept with an audience using interactive mockups and it was well received. We have also built a proof-of-concept that uses machine learning to generate encouraging recommendations - this can be used as the basis for early versions of the software.
We have a roadmap of where we want to get to, with an clear definition of what a MVP looks like.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a hands on, lead, full stack developer with the desire to build a product from scratch. You will be well supported with additional hires or consultancy where required.
The perfect candidate is interested in the success of the project as a whole, rather than just their portion of the work. They want to be part of conversations ranging from product design to data science. Bonus points for driven candidates who build self-initiated projects in their free time, purely for the enjoyment of it.
It is not our ambition to grow at a lightning fast rate to reach funding milestones, asking you to stay up late programming and demanding unrealistic results. We want to grow sustainably, with a focus on getting things right and offering an outstanding product. That's not to say that we aren't ambitious, but we're happy to prioritise maintaining a healthy work-life balance for everyone involved.
Previous work in the travel industry is not a requirement, but someone who values maximising their enjoyment of time spent travelling by researching the best accommodation, restaurants etc would likely get more out of the role. A word of warning - building a product containing images and descriptions of beautiful and exotic destinations is likely to cause severe wanderlust!
As we are at the beginning of our hiring process, we are willing to consider different employment arrangements for the right candidate, whether that's full-time right away or starting part-time or freelance with a view to becoming full-time when you are ready.
Responsibilities & Requirements
The job will have considerable autonomy. You will work with a technically literate founder, but how you go about achieving your work will be principally up to you.
Aside from the obvious, responsibilities and requirements include:
- Creating a development specification from the project brief, identifying where there are skills shortages so that we can ensure that these are filled.
- Designing the system architecture and selecting the tech stack.
- Building an MVP and beyond, with support from additional hires or consultants when necessary
- Maintaining clean code and documentation that will help newly onboarded team members as we grow.
- Take part in some elements of the product design.
- Involvement in the recruitment process, limited to testing and interviewing candidates to be a part of the team (we're not expecting you to be trawling through LinkedIn).
- Experience using ML libraries is not required, as we have a ML engineer who built the PoC, but an understanding of ML techniques and concepts is preferred.
- Work will be principally remote, with the possibility of West or Central London work post COVID.
We're not interested in offering gimmicky incentives, instead we prefer to offer a market leading salary based on your experience. We encourage you to state your expectations during the application process.
That being said, if there is anything that we can offer you to support you, we'd love to talk about this. We want to build a close relationship with you, so compensation, benefits and perks can be personalised.
This is an opportunity to be the first dedicated hire in what we hope to be a close knit development team.
If this sounds like the kind of project that you would like to work on, then please get in touch and we can send through more details and/or answer any questions that you may have.
Many thanks for taking the time to read through this, we look forward to speaking with you.