📱 About Us
This is Mous. (Pronounced 'mouse' not ‘moose’!) We innovate solutions to everyday problems, create industry-leading tech accessories and produce the best possible experience for our customers. Whether you’re a mountain climber or a software designer, you can trust our accessories to protect and enhance the tech you use every day - no matter what your everyday looks like.
When we first started, we realised that there were some beautiful phone cases on the market but they offered absolutely no protection for our phones, and the cases which were durable and hardy were ugly. We were inspired to develop a range of phone cases that were extremely protective and immaculately crafted. Since then, we’ve honed, developed and enhanced our products so that they expand the things you can do with your technology. From connecting your phone case to a world of bespoke accessories to creating a range of magnetically-optimised wireless chargers, we dream big. There’s no need to imagine a future where you can do more with your tech accessories. We already have.
We think that it’s not just what you do, it’s how you do it that counts - we make big claims about what our products can do, and we’re not afraid to back them up with real proof. We always say that we believe in show, not tell. That’s where you come in…
👋 About You
We're not stopping at phone cases. We're continuing to diversify our product range at Mous, and we need the support of a Product Designer to help us!
In this role, you'll play a fundamental role in establishing the construction, look, feel and features of the new products within our Soft Goods category.
We've got a project with your name on it, so you'll need to hit the ground running and rapidly get to grips with our core product development processes. You'll be very "hands-on" in this role, and we'll look to you to flex your creative muscles to solve a wide range of design problems.
Working alongside our existing team of Industrial Designers and Design Engineers, you'll relish the chance to learn from others but will be eager to share your knowledge and passion for soft goods to ensure we produce the best outcomes for our loyal customers.
In this role, you will report to our Category Lead, Jenny Watling
In a nutshell, this is what you'll own in the role:
- The design and development of multiple projects relating to soft goods, from conception through to production.
- The iteration of our existing products in the soft-goods category. You'll update and develop existing accessories for new generation devices using feedback from our Customer Experience team and NPS (Net Promoter Score) survey.
- Managing supplier relationships for your projects on a day-to-day basis.
This is what you'll get up to in your first three months with us:
- Develop a strong sense of what makes a Mous product, a Mous product.
- Contribute to the designs of concepts for our future product pipeline.
- Support prototyping, development in CAD (SolidWorks) and all associated tasks to the satisfaction of Project and Category Leads.
- Research into new product categories and trends, using your insights to make decisions within your category.
- Ensure that products in your category are aligned with brand guidelines.
- Strive for continuous improvement of our existing design processes.
- Work closely with suppliers to build and review pre-production samples.
- Build strong working relationships with our China-based Production team to ensure the release of a high-quality (minimal product failure rate & high yield production rate) product on time.
Sounds good? This is our forecast for six months to a year:
- Eagerly improve your ability to work with the Mous product development process to ensure the high quality of design is executed consistently.
- Actively pursue multiple avenues to achieve the product specification, working logically and consistently to make an inherently unpredictable activity, such as product design, as predictable as possible.
- Use your keen eye for design to research into new soft goods categories and product trends.
- Use your strong communication skills to update Project and Category Leads on the progress of projects and tasks and our Chinese manufacturers to ensure amendments and improvements to prototypes are completed on time and to spec.
- Use your solid analytical and presentation skills to effectively present key data and insights to our CEO and other relevant departments.
- Use your excellent time management abilities to prioritise daily tasks in accordance with overarching company goals.
You've read this far! Now here's what we need from you:
- Ideally, you'll have a degree in a relevant design-related discipline.
- A demonstrable interest in soft goods, either through work experience, a placement, internship or in a volunteering capacity.
- Highly competent in Adobe Illustrator.
- Proficient in CAD Modelling, ideally using SolidWorks.
- A passion for soft goods and a willingness to learn about all aspects of soft goods production.
- Commercially aware and detail-oriented whilst striving for continuous improvement.
- Use your passion and knowledge to openly voice new ideas and concepts for Mous's soft goods offering.
We're not asking for the world (we promise!), but here are some nice-to-haves:
- Experience working with Chinese suppliers.
- An understanding of pattern making.
- Strong Keyshot skills.
- Previous experience in Blender or any other soft goods specific CAD package.
🎉 About Our Offer
Like all responsible companies, we’re currently working from home, but we’ve developed an air-tight remote working and communication system so you’ll be supported through your induction period and well into your working life at Mous. When the world opens back up again, we’ll be based at WeWork in London Fields. As part of the perks of a WeWork location, you’ll have access to regular on-site activities including yoga, breathwork and cookery classes. This will give you the opportunity to excel in a relaxing yet sociable environment.
In addition to our positive, supporting workplace, you can expect the following benefits of working at Mous:
• A competitive starting salary
• A steep learning curve with the chance to make a tangible impact within a growing business
• Regular team socials - we've attempted a virtual Crystal Maze, Musical Bingo and a Murder Mystery, all whilst remote!
• Charlie HR perks package including discounts on hundreds of high street brands and services
• 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Employee Pension Scheme
• Employee Assistance Programme
• 30% discount for F&F on all Mous products
• Huge opportunities for career progression in a high-growth start-up. Dream big, work hard and make things happen!
✨ (A little bit more) About Us
Mous was founded in 2014 by a group of twenty-somethings with experience across design, engineering and product. Their mission was to engineer tech accessories trusted to protect and enhance everyday experiences. Following tireless product testing and both an award-winning and record-breaking crowd-funding campaign, Mous brought their first iPhone case to market in 2017, raising a total of $2.5 million in pre-orders. Their commitment to quality materials, design and innovation has seen the company grow from a team of five to a team of over 70 in their four years of operation, covering concept to design and manufacture; from content creation to getting behind and in front of the camera (sometimes even chartering cherry pickers, cranes and helicopters to test product resilience).
With offices in London and China, Mous has now sold over 1.7 million products around the world to-date, across a broad range of tech accessories, proving that you can enter a crowded market and excel if you put quality of design, authentic innovation and customer experience at the heart of what you do.
Mous has expanded their product range, launching their slimmest and most ergonomic case yet, Contour; and their innovative clear case, Clarity. Going from strength-to-strength, Sunday Times Fast Track 100 named Mous One to Watch, and Sir Richard Branson dubbed them a ‘great, young brand.’ They have amassed 99 million YouTube views, and have over 200K followers on Instagram.
Mous are a progressive and innovative brand, for people who want tech accessories with a considered and practical design. Co-Founders James Griffith, Lucy Hutchinson and James Day are based in London; Will Mullen is based in China. Not one of them has a broken phone screen.
🌈 About Our Commitment
Mous is an equal opportunity employer, and as a brand, we value authenticity and integrity. We strive to be different and know that if we are to create the most innovative products and deliver the best customer experience, we need to build a diverse team of individuals who can bring a variety of skills, experiences and perspectives to the table. No matter your age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or physical ability, at Mous, your individuality is celebrated.