Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower & gifting industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. We are using technology and data science to build the world’s leading and most loved flower company. We’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, are growing at 100% year on year and are in a strong position financially (and have been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the Covid-19 crisis).
We’ve raised multiple rounds of venture capital and private equity funding, most recently announcing our Series D raise of £75m with General Catalyst (backers of Airbnb and Deliveroo), and Index Ventures (investors in Glossier & Transferwise). We’ve also been named one of the 5 fastest-growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. In 2020 we were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
Our Innovation Centre
Since launching in 2013, Bloom & Wild has become the UK's largest and most loved online flower gifting company. Over the last 12 months’ we’ve also successfully opened our first own fulfillment center in Bergkamen, Germany which services our European customers and will fulfill orders for our continued pan-European expansion. We’re now ready to open our UK based Innovation Centre where we’ll fulfill orders planned as part of our range expansion. We’ll be based just outside Nuneaton and within easy reach of Coventry.
We’re looking for someone to join us in the important role of Production and Quality Manager which means you’ll be an integral part of the ‘go live’ team at the Innovation Centre (we’ll be taking over the site as soon as possible, with construction and refurb work estimated to finish in April). You’ll be responsible for supporting the Innovation Centre Plant Manager with creating a world-class fulfillment center, everything you do will reflect the strong culture and values we’ve been establishing across our business since Day 1. You’ll be hugely quality-focused, ensuring that we continue to deliver on our mission to delight our customers with every product they receive from us. You’ll also have the full support of the wider Bloom & Wild team (all 150 of us!).
Reporting to our new Innovation Centre Manager, you’ll also be closely connected to our Quality and Supply team and be supported by the wider Operations Team, you can find out more about them further down this document.
This role is varied and will evolve and take shape depending on the person we hire. Some of the areas of focus will be:
- Building and executing the daily production plan from order forecast and, ensuring production units and cost targets are met
- Ensuring each customer order is made as per defined specifications and meet our quality standards
- Monitoring the quality of our blooms and rejecting any SKUs that don’t meet our standards, ensuring we always deliver the highest quality product to our customers
- Maintain detailed records of the production and quality processes, using defined metrics to create detailed reports to share with our Plant Manager and Supply & Quality Lead.
- Responsibility for training our warehouse operatives on flower production, quality, care and propose improvements to the production team on quality control
- Working with our Plant Manager and Supply & Quality Lead to implement and fully document new production procedures, generating SOP’s in areas of intake and production for team members
- Continuously monitoring customer feedback and working with our customer delight team to understand any quality issues
- Liaising with our suppliers and resolving any ongoing quality issues
- You’ll be responsible for planning ahead for peak periods like Christmas, Mothers’ Day and Valentines Day to make sure that our customers are delighted with every delivery
- Use your flower knowledge to run vase-life trials with our bouquets to ensure they’re long lasting and high quality
- Have a horticulture background or you’re a qualified florist or have the equivalent years’ experience in the flower industry
- Ideally, you’ll have experience in Quality Assurance or Quality Control in a warehouse/packing environment
- Fluent in English
- Exceptional attention to detail, can spot an anomaly, and can identify an issue and problem solve immediately
- Able to work autonomously but understand how to keep your manager and rest of the team up to date with everything that you are doing
- Comfortable analysing data and reporting on your insights using Excel
- You’ll embody all of our values; Customer First, Innovation, Delight, Care & Pride, in everything that you do.
Operations at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now over 150 people. The Operations team at Bloom & Wild is split broadly into three sub-teams, although in practice these sub-teams all work very closely together:
- Fulfilment & Delivery - working closely with our fulfilment partners and carrier partners (and coordinating our own delivery network) to achieve operational excellence and optimise for customer satisfaction, delivery performance, capacity and associated COGS. This sub-team also manages our cross-functional peak planning processes and forecasting at fulfilment level
- Own fulfilment team - we’ve launched our own warehouse in Germany and we’re now adding our UK Innovation Centre to the Team. This team optimises for customer satisfaction, quality and associated COGs
- Supply Chain and Quality - this team manages our supply chain for packaging and nonfloral gifts as well as working with our flower supply chain partners to optimise for quality in our supply chain
Our key enablers for every element of our operations are data and technology so there is close collaboration with those teams. Even for those processes where we outsource the execution, we use data to continually feedback to our partners and optimise and innovate our processes and products.
We’ve adjusted our ways of working to be in line with COVID restrictions and currently our entire team is working remotely. We’ll expect our UIC to be closely following COVID related guidelines.
In this role you’ll have a chance to influence the local benefits applicable to the UIC, but you’ll also be able to access our central benefits including:
- Twice weekly online yoga class
- 25 days holidays plus your birthday off
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions celebrated with the team
- Virtual Stand Up for weekly company updates, and Virtual Monthly Meeting to celebrate our successes and value nominations
- Remote lunch and learns
- Wellbeing support through online coaching sessions and employee assistance program, talking about challenges that we are facing in the current environment
- New slack channels and ways of creating community remotely
We apply our five key values of delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride in our day to day activities (find out more here) and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Our recruitment process
Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 the interview process will be conducted remotely. This will involve an interview with our Operations Director, Director of People, and COO, and also meeting the existing team.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know here.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - so we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.