We’re looking for a senior legal counsel to join our growing legal team at Farewill.
This role is a unique opportunity to be our first in-house legal counsel dedicated to general commercial legal projects and challenges. You will enjoy an extremely broad role, providing legal advice on a wide variety of legal projects and challenges facing Farewill from commercial contracts to IP and regulatory compliance.
In the next 12 months you will:
- Work with our Head of Legal and CFO to build our first general legal function
- Shape up and de-risk our approach to entering into and negotiating contracts across the business
- Proactively identify risks to our business and solutions to eliminate or mitigate them
- Take responsibility for a range of legal issues including IP, commercial contracts, customer terms and data protection
Hopefully, you’ll have some or all of the following:
- A qualified lawyer with previous in-house experience at a start-up/scale-up
- Experienced at drafting and negotiating a range of commercial contracts
- Experienced in GDPR and data protection
- Experience building risk management processes and procedures from the ground up
Some extra skills that would be great:
- Experience in a regulated environment at a management or compliance level - part of our group is already SRA regulated and we anticipate requiring FCA regulation in the future
- It would be great if you’ve navigated (or been part of a team navigating) the process of gaining FCA regulation
- Another nice to have would be experienced in an in-house legal team through fundraising legals at Series A or B
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you. If you’re not sure that you exactly fit the above criteria, get in touch anyway. Personality and attitude are just as important as experience!
Farewill is a fantastic place to be a senior legal counsel! You'll have the opportunity to build out legal function from the ground up. We're growing lightning-fast and last year closed a £20m Series B. We also launched and scaled two new products helping families with probate and, more recently, cremation, with outstanding customer reviews. We've grown to lead our industry, becoming the biggest (and favourite) will-writer in the UK.
What's more, we've raised over £320M in charity legacy donations and been recognised as the national will writing firm of the year at the wills and probate industry awards. You'll have the opportunity to work on an interesting range of challenges across multiple products and regulated industries in an established team of product and ops legal. So you can focus on the commercial and general legals without distractions.
We're a diverse, close-knit team of over 120 at the forefront of legal technology, playing a crucial role in modernising important legal services to provide best in class customer experiences at the times our customers need it most. We win awards and are recognised by people like UK FinTech Awards 2020 Employer of the Year, Top 20 Companies to Work for in London, and more!
What we offer in return:
- Competitive salary and generous stock options. Please be sure to state your salary expectations, for this role, we'll be likely to offer between £60 - 90k.
- 28 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Flexible working including when you start & end your day, and how often you come into the office*
- Personal development budget of 3 days and £1000 per year
- Regular ‘passion talks’ and a range of team socials
- Santander cycles membership!
- A chance to make a meaningful contribution to people's lives and deaths
- And much more!
* Coronavirus update: Currently our lovely office in Haggerston is available if people want (and only if they want) to use it. Previously we had work from home Wednesdays and are looking to expand remote working options long term.
At Farewill, we’re out to change the way the world deals with death. Helping people to take control, personally and financially, of what matters to them after they’re gone.
We launched our first product - our will-writing service - in December 2016, and since then we’ve grown to be the largest will-writer in the UK. We launched our second product, Probate, in early 2019, and recently our third, Cremation.
Our growth to date has been driven by an exceptional product (see our customer reviews) and key strategic partnerships. We’ve been featured in Forbes, The Times, The Guardian and on Radio 4 among others. We're also making waves in the charity world, with over £300 million raised for charities on our platform from gifts left in wills.
We’re a creative, focused team who love what we do. We have backgrounds in design, technology, behavioural psychology, and management consultancy. We love to learn from each other and our customers, and grow together as a team.
We’re backed by some of the best investors in Europe - from the founders of Transferwise and Zoopla, to Augmentum, Kindred Capital, and (in our Series B round that we closed mid-2020) Highland Europe.
This is an unusual, fascinating, and emotional area to work in – if you’re up for a big challenge we’d love to meet you.
If you’d like to understand our culture and product better, here’s a few articles for you to read: About Farewill, Life at Farewill, Are you worried about your will?