Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower & gifting industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. We are using technology and data science to build the world’s leading and most loved flower company. We’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, are growing at 100% year on year and are in a strong position financially (and have been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the Covid-19 crisis).
We’ve raised multiple rounds of venture capital and private equity funding, most recently announcing our Series D raise of £75m with General Catalyst (backers of Airbnb and Deliveroo), and Index Ventures (investors in Glossier & Transferwise). We’ve also been named one of the 5 fastest-growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. In 2020 we were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
Our Innovation Centre
Since launching in 2013, Bloom & Wild has become the UK's largest and most loved online flower gifting company. Over the last 12 months’ we’ve also successfully opened our first own fulfillment center in Bergkamen, Germany which services our European customers and will fulfill orders for our continued pan-European expansion. We’re now ready to open our UK based Innovation Centre, based just outside Nuneaton, where we’ll fulfill orders planned as part of our range expansion.
With construction and refurb work estimated to finish in April, you’ll initially be responsible for setting up the site and making sure we’re ready to open, so you’ll need to be a troubleshooter who’s prepared to tackle anything that comes up during this phase. This could be anything from making sure the new office is furnished properly, coordinating IT supplies with our HQ IT Manager, to onboarding new team members, making sure they’re trained appropriately and coordinating hiring of temporary workers.
On an ongoing basis, you’ll be responsible for supporting the Innovation Centre Plant Manager with the full range of people responsibilities from recruitment, onboarding, culture and values initiatives through to managing any employee relations concerns and offboarding leavers. You’ll also play a role in mentoring the People Manager in Bergkamen, Germany, making sure the best practises we deploy in the UK are also rolled out there.
You’ll have a direct reporting line to our People Director with a dotted reporting line to the Innovation Centre Plant Manager. You’ll also have the full support of the wider People Team based in London (and the rest of the Bloom & Wild team of course!).
You’ll be responsible for creating and managing a local people plan which directly links into our overall People Team OKR’s, being a trusted advisor to the management team in the UIC, supporting the establishment of leadership standards and capabilities and ensuring they are aligned with our overall Bloom & Wild values and ways of working. You’ll be based at the Nuneaton site with very occasional travel to London.
You’ll need to be a strong stakeholder manager, developing trust-based relationships with your managers and peers quickly.
Every day will be a little different but you’ll cover the following areas:
People Experience, Culture & Engagement
- You’ll provide proactive support and advice across the full range of employee relations and employment law areas including welfare issues, performance management, absence management etc,
- You’ll create a great onsite employee experience in collaboration with the central People Team including:
- Onboarding of all new starters, right to work checks etc, ensuring each new starter has the right tools to be able to do their job successfully
- Local culture initiatives, events, socials, establishing values recognition awards
- You’ll be our culture champion in the UIC, establishing employee engagement surveys, feeding these into our company-wide engagement surveys, and owning all local follow up actions
- You’ll be responsible for some office management tasks in the first phase of our warehouse opening so you’ll be comfortable doing some administration tasks
- Ensuring the UIC reaches high standards of coronavirus safety, we never put our employees at risk
- You’ll be responsible for developing, owning and running the local induction program, fully inducting all new starters on our policies, values and ways of working
- You’ll understand the local learning needs of our warehouse team, responsible for making sure we have everyone trained to a high standard across a range of topics including health and safety requirements
Talent Acquisition & Development
- You’ll be responsible for managing a recruitment process focused on finding top talent with an excellent standard of candidate care
- Managing relationships with recruitment agencies and owning direct hiring campaigns through appropriate channels to ensure we have temporary resource for our peak periods
- Working with the central Talent Acquisition team to source management level roles, supporting with the scoping of these roles as well as the interviewing process
- Ensuring diversity of talent across our UIC team through our hiring and interviewing processes
- You’ll understand how to manage performance in a warehouse environment, translating our central performance management processes in to frameworks that work for our innovation centre team
- Develop career pathways, growth frameworks and associated employee training and deploy those in our Innovation Centre.
Pay & Reward
- You’ll be responsible for processing local payroll changes and coordinating these with our finance team
- Over time you’ll work with the innovation center team on how to reward our employees, and what benefits to implement locally
- You’ll own the pay review process for the UIC, collaborating with the central people team to benchmark and appropriately reward the team
- Experience providing the full range of generalist HR support in a fast-paced, e-commerce manufacturing warehouse operation with seasonal peaks
- Ideally experience of supporting the setup and launch of a new warehouse from scratch
- Demonstrable stakeholder management experience
- Detail-oriented with excellent attention to detail
- A strong communicator able to coach Managers at all levels, adept at proactively tackling people problems as they arise and resolving them quickly
- Experience managing relationships with recruitment agencies to manage the supply/demand of temporary workers
- Comfortable working autonomously on a day to day basis, understanding when to pull in support from other parts of the Bloom & Wild team
- A good understanding of employment law and employee relations issues, adept at translating policy into actions that best support both the business and our employees
- Awareness of health and safety in a warehouse environment and how best to maintain H&S standards within a warehouse environment
- Solutions-oriented, you’ll be able to work accurately at pace, cope with ambiguity and come up with solutions to any problem you’re faced with
- Comfortable getting involved in administrative tasks where required, you’ll be happy to get stuck in to any task that needs completion in order to keep our warehouse running smoothly
People Team at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now over 150 people. The UK Innovation Centre team will be completely new but you'll also work very closely with the central people team. The People Team put people first and process second although it’s super important to us that we do the right thing) and we are all the custodians of the Bloom and Wild culture. We focus on the following areas:
- Talent Acquisition and Employer Branding: Creating a world class, data driven, recruitment process that is focused on finding top talent, candidate care and diversity and inclusion
- Talent Development: Continuously improve our Talent Management strategy, linking role performance and impact to career development in a clear, honest and fair manner.
- HR Infrastructure and Employee Relations: Evolve our ways of working and people infrastructure (policies, systems, contracts) in line with growing operations.
- Culture and Engagement: Be the most loved small business to work for in the UK, identifying ways to improve engagement across the Team by enhancing and promoting our culture and environment.
- Learning and Development: Continuously coach and develop the entire Bloom and Wild Team to enable them to achieve their objectives and be successful in their roles.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Shaping at an organisational level our approach to diversity, equal opportunities and conscious inclusion.
We’ve adjusted our ways of working to be in line with COVID restrictions and we’ll expect our UIC to be closely following COVID related guidelines.
In this role you’ll have a chance to influence the local benefits applicable to the UIC, but you’ll also be able to access our central benefits including:
- Twice weekly online yoga class
- 25 days holidays (plus bank holidays and your birthday off)
- Birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions celebrated with the team
- Virtual Stand Up for weekly company updates, and Virtual Monthly Meeting to celebrate our successes and value nominations
- Remote lunch and learns
- Simply health cover for you
- Wellbeing support through online coaching sessions and employee assistance program, talking about challenges that we are facing in the current environment
- New slack channels and ways of creating community remotely
We apply our five key values of delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride in our day to day activities (find out more here) and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Our Recruitment Process
Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 the interview process will be conducted remotely. This will involve an interview with our Operations Director, Director of People, and COO, and also meeting the existing team.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know here.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - so we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.