- We are currently working from home, but when appropriate, successful applicants are expected to work - at least partially - at our offices in South West London, UK.
- We are able to sponsor Skilled Worker (formerly T2) visas for international applicants.
- Privacy notice (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I1i9ORg3yQFEYjNH81G3T1qbG72QaxQ0zUFXCOlPUR8/).
- We closed our second round of funding in the middle of the pandemic from a highly reputable Series A investor (https://https://www.eu-startups.com/2020/07/uk-startup-numbereight-raises-a-e2-million-seed-round-to-predict-consumer-behaviour/).
- We have received significant market traction from our beachhead customers in digital audio, mobile advertising, mobile gaming, and are now looking to scale up fast.
We are looking for an ambitious and self-organising individual to join our core engineering team as a senior mobile engineer with a focus in Android development. You will be deploying code to millions of devices, and the trajectory is steeply upwards from there.
Our mobile SDKs intelligently sense the phone’s environment to calculate meaningful insights into user behaviour. We give applications the ability to react to and target this behaviour without risking privacy and anonymity. This involves some of the hottest areas in the industry including edge computing and machine learning, and intertwines with the latest developments in global privacy standards.
You will help prioritise, plan, review, test, and implement features and improvements to these codebases; you will develop demonstration applications and documentation; and you will collaborate with and support the rest of our product team.
This team is composed of brilliant and supportive software engineers and researchers from Apple, IBM, Cambridge and Southampton Universities with a culture of knowledge sharing, candid feedback, and (when in office) plenty of NERF battles.
- Maintain and improve our SDKs for smartphones/watches (Kotlin, Java)
- Facilitate the operation of the machine learning core (JNI, C++) in a power and memory efficient manner
- Invent novel ways to use sensor data to detect different user contexts
- Develop manual and automated test plans
- Participate in customer meetings and design software with the team to fit their needs
- Maintain/develop demo apps for prospective customers
Skills and experience that will help you to do well
- Kotlin and Java experience (required)
- Basic knowledge of C++ and the standard template library (C++11 onwards, specifically RAII concepts such as std::shared_ptr) (required)
- Broad knowledge of the capabilities and intricacies of Android (required)
- JNI experience (optional)
- iOS development experience (Swift, Objective-C, Objective-C++) (optional)
- Interest and experience in machine learning (optional)
- A good understanding of UNIX environments, i.e. the terminal (optional)
- A 30-minute introduction call
- A take-home technical task (approx. 3 hours of work, 1 week deadline)
- A follow-up call to go through the task
- Meet the rest of the team
Expected Start Date
- Bi-weekly team lunches (even remotely!)
- Ample opportunity for growth and learning (e.g. conferences, courses)
- Potential share options in the company
- Regular work-hours activities (social gaming, lightning talks, chat time)
- Use any of our test smartphones as your primary device
All applications are carefully considered.
Even if you don’t match all the requirements but feel this is something you can do, and if you’ve come this far, make sure to apply! 😀