BenevolentAI unites technology with human intelligence to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines. We have developed the Benevolent Platform®, a drug discovery platform built on powerful data foundations with state of the art machine learning and AI technology. Our technology empowers scientists to decipher the vast and complex code underlying human biology, find new ways to treat disease and personalise medicines to patients. Benevolent has active in-house R&D drug programmes in disease areas such as neurodegeneration, immunology, oncology and inflammation and has research and commercial collaborations with leading pharmaceutical and research organisations. The company is headquartered in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
Who we are
We are an eclectic bunch at Benevolent, united by our belief that innovative thinking and purposeful technology can truly change outcomes for the better. Our mission is to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines for patients in need and we do this by applying AI, machine learning and other advanced technologies to reinvent the ways drugs are discovered and developed. We strive to bring together unique skills and perspectives across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI research, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
The Software Engineering team is focused on applying engineering rigour and innovative design to the BenevolentAI software platform. We embrace a modern microservice architecture on Kubernetes in order to orchestrate a machine learning platform that empowers drug discovery.
BenevolentAI is committed to growing diverse and inclusive teams. We welcome you to apply if the job description as a whole appeals, even if there are specific areas where you don’t have previous experience!
- Grow and lead a small team of software engineers.
- Design and build software to solve complex data requirements and user needs across biology, chemistry, AI, and data science.
- Promote engineering best practices, such as: code reviews, test-driven development, pair programming, etc.
We are looking for someone with
- Strong knowledge of algorithms and data structures for software development.
- Basic understanding of distributed systems and/or machine learning.
- Experience working with at least one of the following software systems:
- databases, APIs, microservice architectures
- Experience in at least one of the following software domains:
- backend development, data processing pipelines
- 2 or more years of experience working as a software engineer in a product team.
- Experience with either technical leadership or leading a development team (formally or informally).
- Proven track record of building software with a focus on the user. Experience building large applications, working with big data, and setting standards for code quality and test-driven development.
- Experience working in a team of diverse skills, including working with non-technical peers. Excellent communicator, especially when working with colleagues from other specialities.
Nice to haves
- Basic knowledge of biology/chemistry, and experience working with biomedical data.
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry, ideally with a focus on drug discovery.
- Scalable backend database systems design.
- Software architecture design.
- Workflow orchestration.
Together, we envision a world in which no disease goes untreated. If you are benevolent, curious, want to tackle real-world problems and are willing to embrace new ideas, hit that ‘apply’ button and join us.