A bit about Wonderbly
Wonderbly is a unique, award winning startup that designs, sells, prints and ships super high quality personalised books for children. Our books are designed to instil a sense of boundless self-belief in the children that read them. This year we became Children's Publisher of the Year. In the past five years we’ve sold over six million books and we want to sell hundreds of millions more so we can influence the lives of the next generation to be more curious, kind and courageous than any that has come before.
About the role
We’re looking for an ambitious, independent minded user researcher to join our team and help us get closer to our customers all over the world. This is an important cross functional role for Wonderbly to help our product and marketing teams improve how they use qualitative research to make better decisions.
The core of the role will be to support our Story Studio team in developing and testing ideas for books and products with new and existing audiences. To do this well you’ll need to be familiar with how research can help inform decisions across the whole product life cycle, from early stage ideation through to detailed feedback on prototypes and in market testing of existing products.
Beyond this we hope this role can extend to supporting other parts of our organisation, in particular our customer experience team that builds our website and our marketing team that manages all our campaigns and advertising. If you also have experience applying user research techniques within digital and marketing environments that will be a huge benefit.
This role will be the only user research role in the company for now so it’s important you’re comfortable operating independently. This doesn’t mean we don’t have experience using user research techniques to inform decision making. Up until now we’ve been working with contractors to provide our research inputs and we’ve now reached the stage where we need someone to come and take ownership of the many different strands to our work in this area.
This means that although you’ll be working quite independently, you’ll be supported by a range of experienced and compassionate colleagues including product managers, producers, designers and creatives that deeply value the contribution made by research. Initially you’ll report directly to Wonderbly’s Chief Product Officer, Nick Marsh but over the next few years we expect this reporting line will evolve as we build out our central customer intelligence team.
Wonderbly is a dynamic, creative and data driven business with a big and bold mission - to bring people closer together through the power of personalisation. We’d like to think it’s the ideal place to do great research and make a real impact on the lives of kids and families around the world. If you think you’re a fit for this, we’d love to hear from you!
Big picture responsibilities
- Undertake qualitative user research to help stakeholders across Wonderbly better understand customers - planning activities, recruiting, conducting fieldwork, writing up results
- Coach and train key Wonderbly stakeholders in how to write briefs, support research activities and synthesise and interpret results
- Find opportunities to collate and share insights across the business, working towards the creation of a core insights library including identifying ways to integrate qualitative findings with Wonderbly's quantitative data
- Proven track record as an independent operator, either within a large organisation or as a consultant - you will be expected to manage your own time and priorities at Wonderbly and need to be comfortable working cross functionally
- Solid understanding of core qualitative research methods and practices suitable for guiding business decisions - sample development, research question development, recruiting, interviewing, surveying, workshopping / co-creation, including experience working with children and families
- Great communication skills - excellent reporting writing and presentation creation skills, good verbal presentation skills
- Experience operating in a digital first environment - conducting research remotely and working with a distributed team
Bonus points for
- Experience working internationally, especially within Europe. A second language would be a huge benefit, in particular German but also any other major European languages.
- A good base of core quant skills. Able to do simple data analysis on quant data and link qual work to larger studies
- Experience working in an e-commerce environment, for gifting brands, for family centric brands
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter including at least two case studies of recent user research projects that you feel demonstrate the breath of your skills and interests as a researcher.
First and foremost you should join Wonderbly because of the work. We’re on a mission to inspire boundless self belief in every child, everywhere through our beautiful personalised books.
- The chance to work on something your friends and family will fall in love with
- Flexible remote working for now (a hybrid London/remote role is possible for the future). In the office, you’ll also get the opportunity to be surrounded by positive, self motivated people inspired by this exciting mission, in our light-filled, colourful studio building in East London
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular Yoga classes and mental health support
- Personal training allowance
- 28 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays
- Health insurance to keep you in tip-top shape
- Pension scheme
- We love having dogs in the office (well behaved ones anyway)!
Equal opportunities employer
Our team are committed to providing equal opportunities for employment regardless of of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, disability, family structure, socio-economic status, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis (it's the law, but it's also just the right thing to do).