Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. We are using technology and data science to build the world’s leading and most loved flower company. We’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are the world’s leading and most loved flower and gifting platform, growing at 100% year on year and are in a strong position financially (and have been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the Covid-19 crisis).
2021 has already been an exciting year for us, in January we announced our £75 million Series D funding round round, led by General Catalyst (backers of Airbnb and Deliveroo), with participation from multiple other top tier investors including Index Ventures (who have also backed companies such as Transferwise and Glossier). More recently in April we announced the acquisition of the Dutch online flower business bloomon, together creating Europe's leading online flower delivery company, active across 8 countries.
Technology Team at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now over 300 people. Our technology team contains a number of squads tasked with delivering the product and tech roadmap. You will join the newly formed (but growing!) Platform team which underpins these squads and enables them to deliver their code into production, quickly, safely and autonomously.
Platform Team focus areas include:
- Critical core infrastructure that lies at the heart of our company's expansion, and is used by both our internal teams and our external suppliers
- Using technology to help build a secure, reliable and scalable Platform, which can both serve a growing number of customers, but also enable the engineering squads to accelerate their feature delivery
- Supporting our broader strategy to break up our platform into a set of smaller services
- For our senior members and above, there is an expectation to participate in our out of hours support on a rota basis throughout the year, inline with our Out of Hours policy
You can read more about our technology and culture over on our tech blog - Code & Wild
The role and ways of working
We’re looking for a smart, experienced and pragmatic Platform Engineer to join our newly formed Platform team. This team ensures our infrastructure stays up and running and our systems are performing as expected, as well as building tools and services that allow our delivery squads to deploy to production quickly, safely and autonomously.
Across the wider Engineering team, you’ll work with other engineers to define and implement best in class operations procedures and industry-standard methodologies for our internal and external customer-facing systems across the entire tech stack. You will actively help to implement and roll-out our PaaS solutions, build self-service tooling, improve processes and infrastructure to support other teams across B&W, always ensuring that we are considering the operability of our systems at the planning and implementation stages of our work.
- Together with your team you will be responsible for keeping Bloom & Wild systems up and running 24/7
- You’ll be a key person, working with your team, to help implement and roll-out DevOps practices and PaaS tools and solutions. You will build self-service tooling, improve processes and infrastructure to support other teams across the business.
- You’ll work with your team to define and implement our operations procedures and best practices for our customer-facing systems
- You’ll effectively investigate, resolve and mitigate service-impacting events as part of operations on-call rotation
- You have professional experience in a Platform team or operations engineering role.
- You have a good working knowledge of AWS fundamentals such as Fargate, RDS, VPC, IAM, S3 and Lambda.
- You have commercial experience with Infrastructure-as-Code tooling such as Terraform
- You have experience of setting up and supporting CI/CD pipeline infrastructure and tooling
- You have the ability to participate in off-hours handling of incidents and you are OK with being a member of the 24/7 on-call rota.
- As a keen collaborator, you’ll enjoy working with other engineers in the Platform team as well as a range of feature delivery squads.
- You'll have good interpersonal skills and the ability to clearly explain your work to engineers.
- You’ll naturally and actively seek to improve the process, tooling, and architecture of the underlying infrastructure and capabilities to give our customers a great experience.
Nice to have
- Experience with testing and operating web infrastructures in a scale-up environment.
- Experience working with companies manufacturing or fulfilling physical products.
- Commercial experience implementing security best practices and processes across a multi-account AWS environment.
Currently our full team is working from home and adapting quickly to being totally remote. We pride ourselves in fulfilling our Work From Home Promise - here
In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Twice weekly online yoga class and access to ClassPass workout content
- Birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions celebrated with the team
- Virtual Stand Up for weekly company updates, and Virtual Monthly Meeting to celebrate our successes and value nominations
- Remote lunch and learns
- Wellbeing support through online coaching sessions and employee assistance program, talking about challenges that we are facing in the current environment
- New slack channels and ways of creating community remotely
We apply our five key values of delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride in our day to day activities (find out more here) and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Return to work and our new normal
The safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary concern during this period and our return to our beautiful, flower filled office will be gradual, considered and only when our team feels safe to do so.
Whilst recognising that some of our team will prefer to work in our office, this period has proven that our team can embrace remote work extremely successfully and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
In accordance to government guidelines:
- We do not plan to fully open the office back up until at least the 21st of June. The office will be open for people to use it as much or as little as they’d like.
- We will continue not to expect people to come in as a norm, but managers may ask team members to come in for specific reasons with plenty of notice (unless you are a fully remote team member)
- Bloom & Wild has no expectation that team members will need to come into the office 5 days per week again!
We're proud to hold an A-rated sponsor license, so we can assign certificates of sponsorship. This means we can support applications from anywhere as long as the job is deemed suitable under the points based system
When we’re in the office:
Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum. There is also the option to buy an extra 5 days holiday
- Flexible working schedule (core hours from 10-4)
- We offer flexible bank holidays so at any time you can make a bank holiday day-off trade and in its place take off another day that fits better with your beliefs, values and celebration calendar.
- Choose your laptop and any extra equipment you need to do your best work
- Free breakfast, snacks and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
See more on what it’s like to work at Bloom & Wild here.
Our Recruitment Process
Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 the interview process will be conducted remotely. This will involve an interview with the Head of Platform Operations, about the role and responsibilities and your experience, a technical exercise and discussion with some of our current Platform Engineers, and finally a cultural fit interview with a small number of people from across the Engineering team.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know here.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - so we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team