We’re Wonderbly, the Children’s Publisher of the Year. Our world-renowned, creatively admired company writes, illustrates, designs and markets the world’s finest personalised books, to countries all over the world - and we have so far delighted over 6 million children with our marvellous stories.
At Wonderbly, we create our own brilliant marketing campaigns, and create all of our own, absolutely stunning marketing assets. We have an in-house photo studio, and we manage marketing campaigns from initial concept, all the way through to final asset delivery. It’s a vibrant, ambitious and autonomous creative department, where beautiful work is constantly being made to very high production standards.
A bit about the role:
We’re looking for a creative director with a strong background in art direction, conceptual thinking, brand management and people management. You’ll be primarily dreaming up innovative, inspiring marketing campaigns to run across our website, email, Facebook advertising, print, TV and social media. These campaigns will promote the Wonderbly brand, and launch books to our international audience.
You’ll be managing a small team, working closely with our Head of Copy and Content and Senior Designer, with two junior designers and one copywriter beneath them. You’ll need to manage the department’s budget, take responsibility for maintaining the department’s creative standards, and push forward creative innovation and inspiration.
This is a hands-on role, where you will be expected to scamp, ideate, collaborate and generally get stuck in to the day-to-day work! We are also placing more emphasis on video advertising (TV, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram), so you should have experience of this type of work, and of working with external production agencies.
You will work closely with the commercial team, taking briefs and participating in strategic conversations about the direction of the Wonderbly brand. You will report to the Chief Commercial Officer.
Overseeing the department’s daily workflow, assigning project workload, and monitoring deadlines and budgets
Hiring, developing and managing the creative team
Managing and developing the strategic and visual development of the Wonderbly brand
Directing concepting sessions and leading innovative thinking within the department
Planning and overseeing photo shoots
Working collaboratively with other key stakeholders in the business on cross-team projects
- Experience in managing creative teams and budgets
- Good conceptual and strategic thinking
- A background in art direction in either in-house or agency creative marketing departments
- In depth knowledge of brand development and multi channel marketing
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Solid experience in video advertising and production
First and foremost you should join Wonderbly because of the work. We’re on a mission to inspire boundless self belief in every child, everywhere through our beautiful personalised books.
- The chance to work on something your friends and family will fall in love with
- Flexible remote working for now (a hybrid London/remote role is possible for the future). In the office, you’ll also get the opportunity to be surrounded by positive, self motivated people inspired by this exciting mission, in our light-filled, colourful studio building in East London
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular Yoga classes and mental health support
- Personal training allowance
- 28 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays
- Health insurance to keep you in tip-top shape
- Pension scheme
- We love having dogs in the office (well behaved ones anyway)!
Equal opportunities employer
Our team are committed to providing equal opportunities for employment regardless of of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, disability, family structure, socio-economic status, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis (it's the law, but it's also just the right thing to do).