Are you a scientist, but always thinking about what’s happening in the startup world? Are you considering an alternative career outside of academia? Are you interested in seeing how your lab-bench training can make a difference in business and customer problems?
Mykor is seeking a CTO to lead research programs in biopolymer and composite natural materials, composite materials processing, and/or novel processing approaches. It’s an exciting opportunity to experience the fast pace and collaborative environment of a growing startup.
Who are we?
The UK construction industry contributes to 25 million tonnes of waste ending up in landfill every year. Worldwide, the construction industry contributes to 50% of climate change, 40% of drinking water pollution, 23% of air pollution and 50% of landfill waste. Our customers need to comply with environmental regulations but the sustainable building products currently on the market are not as performative as their oil-based counterparts.
Mykor is an award-winning biotechnology and advanced materials company developing sustainable materials for the construction industry. The company’s proprietary custom-engineered materials are sustainable, highly performative, carbon-negative, and feel and perform like foam. Our first products are insulating and soundproofing panels grown with waste and fungi. These are low-cost and versatile while presenting high performance in strength, density, sound absorption, and fire-retardancy.
At Mykor, we aim to work at the perfect intersection of design and science, where our products are the only natural materials that perform like synthetic ones. We have been recognized by the UN Environment Programme and Innovate UK and we have been featured in many media outlets including The Manufacturer, Wallpaper*, Elle Decoration, Cover, Material Driven, Archiproducts, Textile View, Kent Online.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Ph.D. or MSc in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, or a related field
- Well-developed understanding of non-destructive and destructive techniques for materials characterization and testing, including but not limited to microscopy (optical, SEM, TEM, XRD, etc.), thermal conductivity, water resistivity, or tensile strength measurements.
- Hands-on engineering and polymer science skills and a working familiarity with test equipment, experimental design and execution, and statistical data analysis.
- In-depth knowledge of the iterative processes conducted to test new materials and proven track record on how to improve their physical properties for the desired applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work within a mission-driven team, have the potential for technical and project managerial leadership
- Must be able to convey complex technical information to individuals in engineering, business, legal and related industries
As a Scientist and CTO you will:
- Work closely with the founding team to develop and execute R&D strategy, and work closely with the CEO to deliver the best products to our customers.
- Conceive, plan, and execute R&D tasks with considerable influence and inputs from product development.
- Be fluent in reading research papers, conducting literature reviews, and preparing scientific and technological project updates, and presenting results for different stakeholders.
- Be comfortable with both simulation material testing as well as the experiment-based method for new material synthesis and process analysis
- Have working experience and knowledge in developing new biomaterials especially with regard to biopolymers, natural materials, and foam/insulative materials.
- Demonstrate ability for leadership in defining scientific and technical objectives across programs. Leads in the capture, planning, and technical execution of complex interdisciplinary projects to answer customer feedback.
- Prepare reports, manuscripts, proposals, and technical manuals for use by other scientists and requestors, such as sponsors and customers.
- Establish a robust analytical framework to perform a high-throughput analysis of novel biopolymer blends and their properties.
What we can offer:
We are offering a negotiable equity split (with vesting interest) and a salary subject to successful funding.
- Meaningful and fair equity
- Salary upon funding (looking to raise significant funding in 2021)
- Working across our partners' labs in the South East and remotely (you must have the right to work in the UK)
- An opportunity to shape the future of our company and build fun and empowering company culture
You will be joining at the beginning of our next chapter of growth, with the opportunity to shape the vision of the company.
Until our fundraising is completed, this will be an equity-only role. However, as soon as our fundraising is completed you will be offered a package including a basic salary plus a discretionary bonus (based on performance). In addition, we will look to introduce a range of perks that make Mykor a great company to grow with!
Pre-completion of fundraising this will be a flexible part-time role focused on the delivery of key milestones as agreed. Following the completion of the fundraising, we would expect this to move to a full-time role.
If you think you can make a real impact on the success of Mykor, we would love to hear from you. Please include a brief note in your application explaining how you think you can contribute to making Mykor a success.