Today, 9 out of 10 people who are learning a language online quit at an early stage, and only a tiny fraction of those who continue, achieve fluency; those who do achieve fluency - usually spend an incredible amount of time on it, and of course - money.
We are an early-stage start-up looking for a software engineer to lead its engineering function; Our mission is to help people around the world learn a language in a new and exciting way.
- Building our first product while creating a strategy that would allow us to create future products
- Help us not only build a product but a great company
- A partner, first; You are comfortable with owning technical and business problems, not just ship code.
- You care deeply about our mission - which relates to education and specifically, language acquisition, but also about driving business and technological impact through improving user experience and research.
- You take a thoughtful approach to decision making, and at least on the technical side, you know when to move fast, and when to slow down and do things right.
- You are serious about data, experimentation, and data-driven decision-making.
- You have an impact-driven approach, with the ability to translate product changes and goals into technical specs and deliver high-quality products.
- You want to work for and lead an early-stage start-up and you understand what it means, and believe the best product is one that helps users accomplish their goals.
- You are self-driven and comfortable with failure at least some of the time.
Your technical skills
- You have "hands-on" strong experience in building backend services + AWS or similar service experience is a bonus.
- You have "hands-on" experience integrating 3rd party APIs.
- You have knowledge of software engineering best practices.
- Bonus! You have experience or exposure to ML/AL.
Some other stuff
- You can start working within a matter of weeks after the decision, however, whether it is full or part-time is to be determined during the interview as we are open to exploring both options.
- Work is going to be remote for the time being, but you live in and have the right to work in the UK.
- Equal and fair equity.
- An opportunity to challenge yourself and learn.
- Salary - upon pre-seed funding planned for this quarter.
- An opportunity to build a product of your own.
- Challenge! including the challenge of building a deep tech product and creating the company culture where you wanted to work, and hiring an engineering team.
How we interview
- This is a two-way interview process, or better defined - just a chat!
- A 30-minute call to get to know each other.
- A second-round focusing on founder-fit, or testing, or our ability to be stuck at an airport together for hours and speak about anything: We'll ask you questions from what you like doing in your free time to what motivates you at work.
- A third-round focusing on behaviour and situations: We'll talk about how you've handled difficult situations in the past.
- A fourth-round focusing on skill mapping: We'll map out your technical and nontechnical skills and talk about what and how you have delivered work.
- The last round focusing on engineering + product: We'll deep dive into our tech, deliverables, plans, and more.
A little bit more about us
- We come from diverse backgrounds; having grown and lived in different countries
- We are really really passionate about building a great culture; we value openness and transparency, whether it's about the product, company direction, feedback, documenting what we are working on, and more.
- We are product and goal-driven; whether its internal goals or customer goals.
- We value helpfulness; working for a startup comes with many ups and downs and we are there to support each other whether it is professionally or personally.