websiteTouchNote - Reinventing personal communication for the digital era.
TouchNote is an app designed to help nurture your most important relationships. Our creative platform lets you send custom-made real cards, straight from your phone, to anywhere in the world. We help our members share the everyday, any day. From postcards, greetings cards & prints, to framed photos and much more, we’ve helped send over 15 million cards to 180 countries worldwide.
About the Team
We’re a team of passionate individuals trying to make a difference, bridging the gap between digital and physical. With an office in Shoreditch, you can expect the exposed brick, ping pong table and popcorn machine (of course) but we’re about so much more than that, we take the culture of our team incredibly seriously, and have big ambitions when it comes to what we do and how we do it.
We are looking for an experienced Web Engineer to join the team in the development of the web app for our award-winning platform and lead a small team of web engineers. Reporting to our Director of Engineering, within our fantastic Technology team, and working across a number of cross functional delivery teams that focus on product areas (such as Acquisition, Activation, Engagement, etc).
Your primary focus will be the ongoing development and improvement of the web app and website, introducing new features for our customers to engage with us across more devices and increasing the proportion of web (vs app) users. This will require experience with Angular (or maybe a similar framework), a thorough understanding of service-based architectures as well as a strong understanding of HTML5/CSS3, code optimisation/profiling and agile development.
We take full advantage of HTML5 and are looking for someone who understands responsive web design, its strengths, its weaknesses and how to get things working across multiple devices, platforms, resolutions and orientations. You will be our lead Web Engineer, and alongside your team, will ensure the ongoing development of the web clients, maintain and update our UI framework, and work closely with Product Managers and across the engineering team.
In addition to your technical duties you will also lead and mentor a small team to improve their skills and impact on the business, possibly for the first time in your career. This will involve regular discussions, developing a plan for their professional development (supported by the Director of Engineering) and helping to get the best out of each other.
Your duties will also include driving the continuous improvement of the Touchnote platform, adopting the latest relevant tools & technology and reducing the tech debt (that we all have but don't like to talk about). Day-to-Day you will be based in a cross functional team with the back-end, mobile & QA engineers as well as product & design and be involved in web discussions and decisions across all teams.
- Minimum 4-year experience working within a web development team
- Deep knowledge of Angular 8+ practices and commonly used modules based on extensive work experience
- Experience with end-to-end front-end & unit testing and common frameworks (Jasmine, QUnit, Protractor, etc) - ideally used in conjunction with TDD
- Experience profiling/optimising for mobile web browsers
- Hungry to learn, develop and be a mentor alongside our world-class development team
- Confident communicating with stakeholders and serving as a technical liaison for the Product Managers
- Thorough understanding of the responsibilities of the platform, database, API, caching layer, proxies, and other services used in a scalable service-oriented architecture
- Experience writing documentation for other developer, and just as importantly, see's the importance of writing said documentation
- Creating configuration, build, and test scripts for Continuous Integration environments (including Grunt/Gulp and Sass/Less)
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Node.js
- Experience with continuous integration environments and deployment to Amazon Web Services
- Experience with defining the infrastructure for serving the front-end app and assets
(e.g. using CloudFormation)
- Has experience working within Agile processes (we lean closer to the Agile manifesto than strict Agile frameworks like SCRUM)
- Experience with PHP + WordPress beneficial
This is a full-time position; Mon - Friday, 9 AM - 6 PM based at our London Offices (approx 1-2 days per week)Unfortunately we aren't able to offer visa sponsorship for this role.
Always Close - We pride ourselves on being a uniquely close team; we hire people who we genuinely enjoy spending time with and we take care of each other. Togetherness also means thoughtfulness: we are accountable to each other. It’s not about you, it’s about us winning as a team.
Own it - Understand and take responsibility for your part in our success; we tell you where to go, not how to get there. Getting it done, on time, is up to you.
Leaders are Learners - To be the best we can be, we accept that we do not have all of the answers. We must continuously learn, grow and develop. We expand in our roles.
Natural Creativity - We’re an innovative bunch building a world-class platform for creative communication. We take creative problem solving really seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously with it.
It's all about Integrity - Be yourself and do your best. We are all in this together; your voice matters, say what you think. If you disagree, speak up. If the decision goes the other way, commit and move on.
- Free TouchNote Credits (of course!).
- Monthly company socials and fun stuff!
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays & for each year of continued service here at TouchNote, you will receive one extra day of annual leave (capped at up to 5 additional days).
- Working from home equipment budget
- Access to our Learning and Development platform Learnerbly
- Perkbox account
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Tech Scheme
- Smart Pension
- Vitality health insurance.
What you can expect in the Interview Process:
- Phone call: Your first call will be with our Talent Team who'll go through your experience, tell you more about the role and what it's like to work at TouchNote!
- Interview: You'll then meet with members from our Tech team who'll do a deep dive into your experience, and will tell you more about TouchNote!
- Task: If successful, we'll send you our short task to complete.
- Team Interview: You'll then meet key members of our team who will deepdive into TouchNote's mission, marketing, operations, roadmap and culture.