Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. Driven by our core belief that you can never care too much or be too thoughtful, we do things a little differently. From inventing letterbox flowers to founding The Thoughtful Marketing Movement. And we’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are the world’s leading and most loved flower and gifting platform, growing at 100% year on year (and we’ve been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the pandemic).
2021 has already been an exciting year for us! In January we announced our £75 million Series D funding round, led by General Catalyst (backers of Airbnb and Deliveroo), with participation from multiple other top tier investors including Index Ventures (who have also backed companies such as Transferwise and Glossier). More recently in April we announced the acquisition of the Dutch online flower business bloomon, together creating Europe's leading online flower delivery company, active across 8 countries.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - so we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team. We have been named one of the 5 fastest growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.Range & Merchandising at Bloom & Wild
The Range & Merchandising team is responsible for the ideation and execution of the physical product across all markets and platforms, from initial concept, through product development to launch. What began as a range of just three bouquets of letterbox flowers now spans a gifting-focussed range of both Letterbox and Hand Tied flowers, plants, add-ons, seasonal gifts and more.
Our ethos as a team is to curate a range of innovative, affordable and high quality bouquets and gifts that represent our unique and distinctive style of design, that our customers will be proud to send and love to receive.
As a fast moving, data driven business, the Range & Merchandising team works cross-functionally with other teams across the business to support our decision making. We gather insight with the help of the Business Intelligence and Customer Research and Insight teams; brief the Brand and Creative teams to develop the concept; work with Finance on the unit economics and then collaborate with Supply and Quality on execution. We have close links with the Product team too to ensure our ranges are easily shoppable on site, and look as appealing as possible.The role and ways of working
We’re looking for an experienced Category Manager with strong commercial awareness, to own and develop our plants category as we continue to diversify our product range in the UK and internationally. This is a great opportunity to join one of the country’s most innovative and fastest growing startups, and help us to remain at the forefront of ecommerce gifting.
Reporting to our Director of Range & Merchandising, you'll supercharge the growth of our rapidly developing plants category, in the UK and other markets and platforms. This includes relevant accessories and hardware (pots etc.), as well as the plants themselves:
- Use a range of data sources (trend reports, customer insight, sales data, competitor activity) and collaborate with creative minds across our business to generate ideas for expansion and growth.
- Working closely with the Brand and Creative team, you’ll translate their vision into a beautiful and differentiated range of plants and accessories that customers will love, while successfully balancing operational and financial KPIs.
- When developing the range of plant hardware and accessories you’ll work with the product designer to create distinctive pieces that represent all of our brand values, with a particular focus on innovation and sustainability.
- You’ll feel comfortable to share your ranges with key stakeholders to secure buy-in.
- Provide the forecasting and trading teams with insight on expected performance to ensure accurate buys and minimise wastage.
- Collaborate with our supply management team to ensure sufficient stock across all of your lines, and provide resourceful suggestions to mitigate against stock challenges.
- With the support of the finance team, you’ll own the P&L for the plants category, setting ambitious targets and driving profitability.
- Ensure our Retention and Acquisition teams have everything they need to promote your ranges and inspire our customers to purchase.
- We have access to a wealth of data at Bloom & Wild, and you’ll use this to analyse performance and report back. You’ll spot opportunities to maximise on successes, and will delist lines that aren’t meeting your targets.
- Build strong relationships with our various suppliers, as well as internal teams across the business.
- You will bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for every opportunity to learn and craft the role around our values: care, pride, customer first, innovation and delight.
- 2-4 years experience of category management and product development, preferably in a fast-growth startup environment, with a proven track record of bringing innovative products to market, from conceptualisation through to product launch.
- Knowledge of plants would be an advantage, although not a necessity. Ideally you’d have worked with plants before, but enthusiastic plant lovers may definitely apply! No experience of flowers is required.
- Commercial - you understand the aims of the business and your recommendations will be designed to help us achieve these.
- Discerning - whilst we’re looking for someone ambitious and motivated by growth, we don’t want to expand this category at the expense of our brand. We need you to balance art and science to create the perfect range.
- Willingness to try - you won’t be afraid to make bold decisions and try new things.
- Attention to detail - you sweat the details and take care to deliver to a consistently excellent standard
- Customer empathy - you put customers first, seek to understand what works for them and champion them in your decision making to develop products they love. You’re motivated by this above all else.
- Proactive - you get things done and are willing to roll up your sleeves whenever needed.
- Driven - you are enthusiastic, passionate and keen to deliver results that impact the business.
- Positive attitude - you’re excited about problem solving with others in a fun and dynamic team.
- Independent - you’re resourceful and show initiative in your work.
The safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary concern during this period and our return to our beautiful, flower filled office will be gradual, considered and only when our team feels safe to do so.
Whilst recognising that some of our team will prefer to work in our office, this period has proven that our team can embrace remote work extremely successfully and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
We pride ourselves in fulfilling our Work From Home Promise - here
In accordance to government guidelines:
- We do not plan to fully open the office back up until at least the 19th July. The office will be open for people to use it as much or as little as they’d like.
- We will continue not to expect people to come in as a norm, but managers may ask team members to come in for specific reasons with plenty of notice (unless you are a fully remote team member)
- Bloom & Wild has no expectation that team members will need to come into the office 5 days per week again!
In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Twice weekly online yoga class and access to ClassPass workout content
- Birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions celebrated with the team
- Virtual Stand Up for weekly company updates, and Virtual Monthly Meeting to celebrate our successes and value nominations
- Remote lunch and learns
- Wellbeing support through online coaching sessions and employee assistance program, talking about challenges that we are facing in the current environment
- New slack channels and ways of creating community remotely
We apply our five key values of delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride in our day to day activities (find out more here) and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
When we’re in the office:
- Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum. There is also the option to buy an extra 5 days holiday
- Flexible working schedule (core hours from 10-4)
- We offer flexible bank holidays so at any time you can make a bank holiday day-off trade and in its place take off another day that fits better with your beliefs, values and celebration calendar.
- Choose your laptop and any extra equipment you need to do your best work
- Free breakfast, snacks and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
See more on what it’s like to work at Bloom & Wild here.
Our Recruitment Process
Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19, the interview process will be conducted remotely. This will involve an initial thirty minute phone call with Olivia, our Director of Range. We’ll then ask you to complete a short task in your own time before presenting back to Olivia and other members of the Range team. This will be followed by a brief call with our COO Phill.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know here.