This is an excellent opportunity to be the first finance hire in a rapidly growing startup and shape the finance function. You will have exposure to all things finance that are crucial to running an early-stage business giving you the rare opportunity to chart your own career.
About Octopus Moneycoach
We’re on a mission to transform a million lives, by providing high quality financial coaching, affordable and accessible to everybody.
We’ve built a national network of brilliant financial coaches, along with powerful software that makes it easy to maximise your financial future.
Working with some of the top employers in the UK, in the last year our customer numbers have grown 350%. We provide financial coaching to the employees of household names like Sony, Moneysupermarket and Experian. With the Octopus Group backing us, we’re now poised to expand the service and team rapidly.
Inspired by sister companies like Octopus Energy, we’re determined to achieve something rare among financial companies, by building one of the UK’s most loved and impactful brands, rooted in the trust and togetherness we share with our clients.
The role and opportunity
We are looking for a Head of Finance to shape the function as we scale. You will have breadth of exposure as you lead strategic planning working with the Board while also operationalising day-to-day management of our finances.
Ultimately, you’ll help maintain our company’s financial health and make sure we use our resources pragmatically.
Day to day you will:
- Operationalise the day to day running of accounts:
- Balance and maintain accurate ledgers
- Track and reconcile bank statements
- Record accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Process invoices and follow up with clients, suppliers and partners as needed
- Oversee payroll:
- Work with our payroll administrators to support monthly payroll and keep organised records
- Analyse data:
- Use data and analytics tools to understand the key drivers for the business and spot opportunities to improve our performance
- Manage statutory returns:
- Manage external returns such as PAYE, VAT, Gabriel
- Work with our accountants to prepare and file statutory accounts
- Lead strategic planning and budgeting:
- Lead regular board reporting and planning
- Provide support to the business during budget preparation
- Manage regular audits
- Throughout all these workstreams, you will be looking to automate and improve processes giving yourself the space to focus on the big strategic opportunities and challenges in the business
A genuine desire to help people
We are a mission-driven business, so it’s important that you can demonstrate a strong desire to help people and improve their lives.
Ability to handle multiple workstreams
The role involves managing all aspects of our financial controls and you should be able to manage several priorities and deadlines.
Good technical knowledge
You should have a strong understanding of accounting processes and good knowledge of financial regulations.
Strong sense of ownership and accountability
You should be comfortable taking full ownership of all the finance work streams and escalate issues and suggest improvements as needed. You should be motivated to work independently and find the best way to run the function.
Attention to detail and excellent analytical and numerical skills
You love numbers and enjoy analysing them to spot patterns, insights and errors. You have attention to detail and are usually the person who spots mistakes before anyone else.
- 5+ years as a Financial Controller, Head of Finance, Finance Manager or similar
- Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or other)
- SQL skills / ability to work with data or at least the desire and motivation to learn
- Advanced MS Excel/G-sheet skills
Nice to have (but not necessary)
- Experience working in a startup/scaleup environment
- Experience with Accountancy software e.g. Xero
About Octopus Group
Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world. We collectively believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change.
We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches. The energy supply business - Octopus Energy is the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.