MyTutor is the UK’s leading online platform for one-to-one learning, and we're on a mission to improve the educational outcomes of thousands of young people. We’re building a future where access to high quality learning is stress-free for those who can afford it, and funded for those who can't.
One-to-one tuition is one of the most powerful ways to improve pupils’ grades, confidence and life chances. Yet it remains out of reach for many. Our handpicked community of tutors work online with students from all walks of life, raising results on average by one whole grade. Over the past 18th months we've worked with the government to provide safe and reliable tuition to more students than ever. We're proud to have worked with over 1,000 schools across the UK, and our tutors have given over a million lessons.
Since last March, we've scaled up while working remotely and kept a working environment that encourages collaboration and support. We always prioritise our team wellbeing and development. Everyone has the option to use our hotdesking app, Desana and, once Covid regulations ease, we’ll have a permanent office space in London for people who want to come in.
We have a fun and caring culture with lots of social activities run by our team. You can find your zen in team Yoga on Mondays, sweat it out at our Product Manager Jess's Bootcamp on Fridays (not for the faint-hearted) or join a remote chocolate tasting via Zoom. We have company socials every month and there are chances every week to sit down with someone for a cuppa and a chat.
About the role
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to join our growing product-engineering team. We’re at an exciting stage of growth and looking for a senior designer to help us define and launch new product offerings. We’re looking for someone who’s excited to lead projects and help mentor junior designers, and someone who’s comfortable owning a problem and not being given solutions.
You’ll be working closely with Designers, Product Managers, Engineers and the wider business to help us grow and refine our existing digital product.
What you can expect:
- Take ownership over the design direction of one of our end user groups and all the initiatives within it
- Lead exciting new product initiatives that will fundamentally change the MyTutor product offering and customer experience
- You’ll be the voice of our users and champion them and their motivations throughout your design process
- You’ll understand how your designs contribute to business metrics and long term goals
- You’ll draw on the experience of the wider team. You might run workshops, sketching sessions, or ask a team member for feedback on your work
- Even if they don’t work out, you'll love exploring new interaction patterns or design concepts and bringing them into your designs
- You’ll take your concepts and ideas through to final polished designs in Figma or Sketch and work with our development team to bring them to life
The type of person we would love to meet:
- You have real experience leading the design of digital products and know what it takes to design amazing experiences for real users
- You know that designing products is a team sport - You’ll spend a lot of your time working closely with a product owner and the rest of the MyTutor business to collaboratively solve problems
- You have at 5+ years experience shipping real design work, at either an in house team, a startup or at a design agency
- You’ve had experience across most of the product design process and you are as happy leading research, as you are opening Figma and moving pixels
- We have lots of diverse user types that we need to design for (teenagers, parents and students, teachers and operations staff to name a few) all with their own frustrations, needs and characteristics. This role will be great for someone who wants to dive into our users lives and understand what they are going through to help inform their designs
- You love being a motivator in the team and supporting other designers with their work and their processes
- You’ll love being given a problem and running with it and be excited to tackle complex problems
- Investment in your learning with a personal L&D budget of up to £350
- Your own laptop (Mac or Windows) and hardware (we can help you set up a home office if WFH)
- Competitive basic salary of £55,000 - £70,000
- Workplace pension
- Private Healthcare option through BUPA
- Enhanced parent policies
- Cycle, tech and gym schemes
- Mentor/mentee scheme
- Regular team events & socials (we've just had a remote Sofar Sounds gig and wine tasting!)
- 25 days holiday (plus public holidays)
- A culture that champions wellbeing with monthly workshops and 1:1 coaching
MyTutor is committed to creating an inclusive workplace and we have set up our own EDI (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion) committee who host regular events to make sure we live up to those values. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and all applicants will be considered.