We’re Reelables. We make Bluetooth labels for automating inventory management. Our vision is to automate the world’s supply chains by putting global logistics systems on autopilot. We’re doing it by providing real-time location and temperature visibility of shipments and inventory to some of the largest carriers and pharmaceutical companies worldwide.
Our flagship product is the Bluetooth labels themselves that stick to pallets, cartons, and boxes, or even per-unit product items to enable real-time tracking. Similar to a Tile or Apple AirTag, Reelables transmit an active beacon. But as printable labels, they’re for B2B enterprise applications. They uniquely capture temperature and location information with a range of 100m. No RFID scanning or infrastructure required. Reelables work with our enterprise SW platform and Workflows to transform raw collected data into actionable business events and insights.
All our manufacturing is done in-house, on a thin film reel-to-reel process. Our ambition is huge, now embarking on the development and commissioning of two new printed electronics production lines designed from the ground up. As the recipient of two InnovateUK Smart manufacturing grants, we’ve laid the R&D groundwork for what’s to come. We’ve proven it’s possible and it’s now time to ramp up.
We’re a small team; a mix of hardware and software engineers, and growing fast. We’ve taken on the grand challenge of making complex wireless circuits on thin films in a way that hasn’t been done before. We don’t shy away from what’s hard to do. Our company’s roots are out of Silicon Valley and participated in Y-Combinator a few years back. We’re now shipping, just landed fresh new funding and scaling up operations here in North London in a warehouse minutes away from Angel station.
About the role
You will be working on all aspects of our manufacturing processes and product development. This will include design and implementation of fully automated systems, CAD modelling and simulation, in-house manufacturing, quality controls, product testing and more.
The role will be varied and you will be exposed to a range of activities outside of engineering so a solid approach to teamwork is essential. Somebody who is able to think laterally and work independently and be able to communicate these decisions clearly back to the team would suit this role. A hands-on approach to engineering is desirable as you will be expected to iterate on your designs and ideas quickly.
Here’s how we need your help;
- Undertake design of electromechanical systems to increase the throughput of the existing Reel to reel manufacturing line.
- Implement quality control measures.
- Create detailed design of systems in CAD (Solidworks preferred), collaborating with our Mechatronics/Electrical Design Engineers.
- Design and Build proof-of-concept test machines/rigs for future products.
- Design and execute test plans to qualify prototypes.
- Work with sub-contract manufacturers and external suppliers.
Core competencies and experience
- Proven experience in a manufacturing environment (a bonus if you have worked on reel to reel manufacturing)
- Demonstrated experience of manufacturing automation development/implementation
- A good grasp of electronics and software implementations (e.g., microcontrollers, wiring & soldering etc).
- Skilled use of CAD software (SolidWorks preferable).
- Evidence of prototyping & engineering product development experience.
- Experience in preparing specifications, design review documents and testing reports.
- Strong practical approach to problem solving.
- Proficiency in basic hand tools (sawing, grinding, soldering etc).
- Professional attitude to communicating with external supplier and manufacturers.
- Ability to work under time pressure and to a budget.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in design for manufacturing (DfM) and design for assembly (DfA)
- Proven skills in project planning and budgeting
- Experience in working with sub-contract manufacturers
- Understanding of industrial automation
(PLC, HMI, control circuits, motion stages, robotics etc)
- Software coding experience (C, Python desirable)
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of initiative
- Systematic approach to problem solving
- Prepared to be hands-on in all aspects of this company
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to quality and delivery
- Flexible approach to working with the potential for multiple concurrent tasks
- Working with health and safety in mind for yourself and the rest of the team.
We are not looking for someone who is able to check all of these boxes but rather someone who can check a few and is willing to learn and apply themselves.