London, United Kingdom or Remote
Clearmatics is a protocol engineering company. We are building a new financial market architecture that is more open, fair, and resilient than the legacy systems that are in use today. We develop protocols and software that create new markets for risk and more efficient infrastructure for trading, backed by a robust and scalable blockchain network, and secured with modern cryptographic techniques and economic mechanism design.
Clearmatics is based in London but operates on a 'remote first' model. We welcome candidates from all over the world. We have close ties to the Open Source and Ethereum communities, with Vitalik Buterin as an adviser.
The Research group at Clearmatics is dedicated to developing solutions to the hard problems needed to advance our mission. We are academics and protocol engineers collaborating with teams inside and outside the company to translate theoretical results into running software implementations. Our work spans cryptography, game-theory, (computer) networking, identity systems and secure software implementation research, with a focus on their domain applications in financial markets.
We're looking to hire a Data engineer to expand our Research team.
A data engineer is a key team player that prepares data for analytical or operational uses. To do so, data engineers architect, implement, test and maintain scalable data pipelines allowing to bring together information from different source systems. By integrating, consolidating, cleaning and structuring data, they aim to make data easily accessible to other team members carrying out analytical work.
The ideal candidate must be proficient in software engineering and have rock solid computer science foundations. The data engineer will be central to the various business functions in Clearmatics. By closely collaborating with colleagues across functions, the successful engineer will be able to assist by providing extensions to the data pipeline and help designing data models, effectively improving the data-driven decision-making of the firm.
Designing clean, maintainable, scalable, well documented and robust data pipelines does not have any secrets for you anymore. You enjoy collecting, storing and processing large datasets. You are a delivery driven, self-starter, proactive, passionate and outstanding team player excellent at knowledge sharing. Above all, you are a truth seeker obsessed by data integrity and correctness. You are an outstanding communicator/listener not afraid of challenging (and being challenged by) your peers. Unconditional lover for simplicity and robustness (you are convinced of the superiority of simplicity over complexity), you never miss an opportunity to learn and extend your knowledge basis.
- Collaborate with colleagues in various functions of the business to understand their "data infrastructure" needs.
- Implement robust and scalable data pipelines.
- Collaborate with colleagues to specify and create meaningful data models.
- Keep up with new tools and methods for data processing.
- Assist your colleagues carrying out data analysis on the infrastructure you designed and cherish.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- A background in Computer Science and Data Science.
- Outstanding knowledge of data pipeline tools (e.g. Snowflake/Redshift/BigQuery, AWS lambda/S3, Apache Airflow, Spark/Hadoop etc.).
- Outstanding experience with ELT and ETL paradigms.
- Fluency in SQL and Python.
- Strong data-driven mindset, great attention to detail and ability to solve problems creatively and effectively.
- Obsession for data integrity and correctness.
Nice to haves
- Experience with Statistics and/or Financial engineering.
- Abilities to script in R.
- Experience with Jupyter notebook environment.
- Basic knowledge of Unix and bash.
- Knowledge of modelling frameworks and tools (e.g. cadCAD, Mesa).
- Experience as a professional quantitative analyst/trader.
- Experience with Ethereum.
What we value at Clearmatics:
- Collaboration and respect.
- Honesty & Humility.
- Ability to challenge ideas.
- Willingness to deliver robust solutions.
- Passion for the technology and its challenges.
- Continuous improvement and learning.