Salary & options
Up to £30,000 Gross (PTE)
Up to 0.15% share options
About the job
Karfu is seeking a part-time UX/UI Designer to take our platform from a prototype in private beta, through into public beta, followed by a full commercial launch of the product.
We are now looking for a UX/UI Designer with relevant experience who can join our small team and help us achieve product-market fit through an exceptional product experience, brand refinement and marketing communications. The ideal candidate will be someone who has learned their craft working on a range of product, design, UX/UI and advertising projects and who is ready for the next step up.
You will have primary responsibility for improving our product across it’s design, user experience and user interface, as we iterate the current prototype through private and public beta’s through to consumer launch. Our preference would be to find a candidate who also has experience in brand design and marketing communications, to allow us to create a consistent feel across all consumers and provider areas of interaction with Karfu.
You’ll do this through working directly with our Founding team, Karfu employees, consumer customers and marketplace providers, in order to understand, prioritise and establish design and user experience requirements across the business. You’ll need to find innovative solutions as we iterate and grow, including how best to evolve the Karfu’s design and integrate new features into the website platform as we scale.
You will initially focus on improving our existing prototype, specifically our core tools and calculators, based on beta feedback and product analytics that you will help us gather. This will include updating the prototype to incorporate desktop functionality, as well as shifting the focus of Karfu.com to include a variety of editorial content to support our consumer launch.
For the right candidate, there will also be the opportunity to review and update our visual identity and then apply it across every element of the Karfu brand. This task will include creating relevant marketing materials and assets for use across the business, including marketing communications for digital advertising and CRM activities, working with our Content and Marketing employees to support Karfu's customer acquisition and retention efforts.
You will have the opportunity to shape the product roadmap and be a key contributor to the ongoing development of the product vision and proposition. You will work across a combination of proofs-of-concept and investigations, large strategic projects, improving our internal processes and some smaller tactical work. If you are successful, you will leave a lasting impact on the finances of UK consumers and help inform consumers about more sustainable mobility choices.
You will need to develop a deep understanding of our product, our users and their context – especially how our functionality addresses consumer needs. You’ll help us take a user-centric approach to discovery, using data, insights and research to test assumptions and validate requirements. You’ll advocate for end-users to build and improve features based on their pain points and satisfaction levels.
You’ll be the conduit between our CEO and COO’s ambitions and our CTO and technical team’s ability to deliver our ideal brand and user experience, balancing vision with reality and finding ways to meet in the middle wherever possible. You will work as part of our Product team to plan, prioritise, deliver and improve Karfu’s platform. You’ll need to communicate your requirements clearly and succinctly within the Product team, leaving no room for misunderstanding.
You will regularly review Karfu’s product and overall user experience and evaluate results to inform ongoing learning and improvement. You will keep up to date with emerging digital technologies and best practice in design, UX and UI, identifying where we can improve ways of working, innovate and add value for our customers.
We’ll expect you to become an expert on Karfu’s market, competitors and similar products to help understand where we can improve and where we should compete. You will work with our Founders to establish and monitor product usage metrics and develop a feedback process that helps continuously improve the user experience.
Whilst you will be the sole UX/UI Designer hire, you will have a variety of support and will not be alone. As a small team, you’ll have direct access to and work closely with the Founding team. We will work with you to assess the scale of the tasks ahead and prioritise the initial launch requirements and assess what is realistic to achieve on an ongoing basis.
Here’s what we have to offer
- Influence our product direction.
- We are a small team - your opinion and contribution will be valued.
- We are looking for people who have ideas and are proactive about finding solutions to challenges we uncover and help us prepare for scale.
- There will be an opportunity to grow and manage other members of the product team, as well as help us decide on our next product team hires.
- Influence our company direction
- You will be one of the first hires outside of the three founders (CEO, COO, CTO). You will be a key contributor to our culture and in setting standards for our team.
- You will need to understand our overall strategy to provide relevant product solutions, but also help us decide where to focus our efforts and resources.
- Utilise new design software trends
- Our team is very open to reviewing and trying new solutions, frameworks and practices to speed up our time to market and, more broadly, to support overall company success.
- Make a difference to people’s wallets
- Karfu helps consumers make better financial decisions for their individual circumstances - think ‘Money Saving Expert’ for Mobility.
- You’ll be helping normal people save money across a wide variety of different mobility purchases.
- Help people explore more sustainable mobility options
- Karfu shows consumers the reality of the environmental impact of their mobility choices so they can view their overall impact.
- You’ll help people understand the trade-off between new vehicle types (including electric) and their traditional equivalents, as well as highlighting the differences between ownership and usership.
- Help providers sell more effectively and efficiently
- Karfu helps 3rd party providers put relevant products in front of a consumer.
- Where possible and appropriate for a consumer, you’ll be working with the technical teams to get people from content into opportunities for our partners
- You have 3+ years of commercial experience in product design
- You experience in product strategy, user centric design and the understanding of human behaviour, preferably with supporting qualifications
- You love speaking to users to understand user needs in order to solve problems as effectively as possible, with experience in undertaking user research and testing sessions, including reviewing qualitative and quantitative engagement data
- You can translate ideas and concepts into user flows, wireframes, mockups, prototypes and live iterations, delivering pixel perfect assets and specs to our software engineers
- You are able to clearly articulate and present design decisions to internal teams and key stakeholders, including understanding of the technical implications as well as wider potential knock on impact of your work across the business
- You have experience in taking ownership of the design process as part of a Product team, including design best-practices, processes and frameworks for developing and delivering great products at speed
- You have experience in optimised design across web platforms (mobile and desktop) and app platforms (iOS and Android)
- You have experience with relevant prototyping and design software tools including Sketch, Figma, Marvel, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and Illustrator) and Canva
- You have a keen eye for detail, with knowledge in user experience principles, graphic design, accessibility and responsive web standards
- You have experience in brand design and visual identity, including logos, fonts and typography, colour schemes, icons and favicons
- You have experience in creating marketing assets, including digital and social post and advertising (Facebook, Instagram, Google), emails and presentation templates
- You take pride in what you create, you are passionate about making an amazing brand and user experience for our customers
- You can understand data and measure the outcomes your work generates and collaborate with a cross functional team to meet commercial requirements
- You’ll have a love of all things mobility, and a deep interest in the trends of the industry with a passion for translating those into useful, thought-provoking posts and advertising
- You are comfortable in a high-paced and dynamic environment, a self-starter with a willingness to learn and adapt as our product and situation evolves
- You are a good communicator in both written and spoken English, due consideration will be given to speech impediments, neurodiversity considerations and strong accents
- Experience working for or with a comparison website or platform, or on a two-sided marketplace product
- Experience in using the Concrete5 / Concrete CMS platform
- Previous working experience of scaling a digital product in a rapidly growing company
- Experience of software development within FCA regulated environments
- Proven experience using Adobe AfterEffects
- We'd like to see a portfolio of work that covers some of scope of what you’ll do at Karfu, and, where its available, commissioning briefs to accompany it
- We’d like you to highlight how the work addressed business, commercial and audience needs and the results that show it did.
- If you can, show us how you’ve contributed to a design or user experience process and workflow development or improvement.
Karfu, currently in stealth, is a B2C technology start-up in the mobility sector.
We define Mobility as the technologies, products, vehicles and services that enable people and goods to move around freely.
Karfu is an impartial online platform designed to help consumers save money and discover the financial and environmental costs of their ‘mobility’ choices, including vehicles from cars to scooters, across access options from ownership to usership.
The product is currently a desktop and mobile website. Mobile apps (iOS and Android), and a B2B proposition will follow in due course.
We have just completed our second external funding round. A full explanation of the company, strategy and product will be provided during the interview process.
Karfu's founding principles are to be transparent, responsible and sustainable. We are a certified Pending B Corp and are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion.
How are we committed to promoting Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity means difference, specifically the range of human differences within a group of people across the three categories below:
- Demographic (age, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical resources)
- Experiential (economic or social position, education, occupation, faith, abilities, dependents, caring responsibilities)
- Cognitive (how we approach problems and think about things.)
Karfu is committed to hiring people with as broad a range of these differences as possible.
Inclusion is the act of making someone feel part of a group, which involves people’s well-being at work, safeguarding people’s mental and physical resources, and championing rights and cultural differences all of which collectively help people to succeed at work.
By its nature, inclusion is difficult to measure in the workplace. Karfu’s aim is to create an inclusive environment that allows individual contribution to matter and employees are able to perform to their full potential, no matter their background, identity or circumstances.
Benefits of working at Karfu
All positions at Karfu include:
- A competitive salary including statutory pension
- Stage appropriate equity compensation, via our employee option scheme
- 25 days of paid annual leave excluding bank holidays (pro rata for PTE employees)
You are looking for a place to belong and grow
We are looking for our first hires outside the Founding team. We want people who are passionate about what we are doing and want to help us grow the company over the next decade. We want committed people who share our values and our vision.
Purpose, not just profit, drives you
Karfu is a (pending) B Corporation. Rather than just words, we wanted to prove our commitment to taking action by having legally enforceable standards to live up to. We care about sustainability and the impact Karfu could have on consumer decisions. We appreciate diversity and inclusion challenges which are reflected in our hiring policies and our internal culture. We want to be a responsible business that helps across local, national and global communities.
You know about vehicle purchase methods and how they work
If you know your PCP from your PCH and could you create a breakdown and assess whether one is a good deal or not relative to the other, this is the perfect job for you. We are looking for someone who will bring in these specific skills and can hit the ground running. Alternatively, if you understand consumer finance, or the ins and outs of how loans, mortgages or the cycle to work scheme operate, we’ll work with you to transfer these skills to working with Karfu.
You are passionate about mobility
You feel there are unique challenges and opportunities for mobility products and services and you love helping people find answers that are right for them. You’re intrigued by Electric Scooter trials. You are familiar with businesses from Citymapper to Zipcar. You are as happy on a bike as a bus or a train. You are interested in all forms of mobility and you see this continually expanding industry getting more exciting, not less. It’s where you want to build your career and your expertise.
You believe in impartiality
We believe in a level playing field for providers to compete against each other. Think the BBC, trying to see different options from both sides, rather than Google focusing on working with the highest bidders and making it impossible for a small business to compete.
You are reliable and you care
As an early stage start-up, you will be working closely with the Founders and we expect you to share the same level of enthusiasm and professionalism. We adopt a merit-based approach in our company. If you care about your performance at work, taking your role, time management, output and contribution to the team and company seriously, you’ll enjoy working with us.
You have a start-up attitude
You have a keen appetite to optimise, test, build and learn. You have a flexibility that means you can fill in for others if they’re away or help other members of the team when they need it. If you don’t know something, you don’t wait to be told to look it up. You are proactive both in work and in improving your own skill set outside of it.
Useful to know
We are recruiting a number of new employees who you will work with, including:
- Product focus
- Front-end Software Engineer (FTE)
- Back-end Software Engineer (FTE)
- Project Manager (PTE)
- Marketing focus
- Content Editor (FTE)
- Marketing Executive (FTE)
We won’t be fully remote forever
- Whilst these roles will be primarily remote, we are planning on having a flexible office or workspace in London at some stage in late 2021 / 2022, dependent on COVID-19 related developments
- We currently envisage attendance will be at least 1 day a week in person, with preferred office locations near or between Clapham Junction and Waterloo, with the duration and location subject to change
- This will require you to live a commutable distance from central London in case we decide to increase the amount of weekly attendance at a later date.
- However, we will consider candidates with exceptional CVs from elsewhere in the UK, who seek a remote only role, so please do not be deterred from applying
We understand and care that you have a life
- Whether you have a family, caring commitments, or other responsibilities outside of work, if it is important to you, it is important to us.
- Our Founding team appreciates juggling work and life is not easy. We will endeavour to treat you as we would like to be treated ourselves when things don’t go to plan.
We are a sustainable start-up and we run lean
- We are focused on saving consumers money. It would be irresponsible of us to be frivolous with our own investment funding with that mission in mind.
- Instead, we’ll focus on things that we feel are important to employees, like a challenging role that will push you, living wage salaries, pensions, benefits and fair work / life balance, rather than ensuring you have a new t-shirt every time we change our logo, or a professional table tennis table.
- If necessary, a suitable laptop will be provided, with your views and project requirements in mind. However, we are happy for you to use your own personal computer equipment.
Your questions about accessibility
- If you have any questions about accessibility, or are concerned about any Karfu company policies that might affect your ability to do a good job, please get in touch using a non-personally identifiable email address if at all possible.
How to apply
Please apply through Work In Startups. Our full application process on our website requires the below:
Provide a CV (no more than 2 sides of A4) without a name or date of birth, to help us keep applications on a level playing field.
2. Application screening question
Let us feel your passion. Tell us 'Why do you want to come and work for Karfu over every other company?'
3. Skills showcase
Finally, we’d like applicants to send us something that showcases your skills that we can view or test, for example, a link to:
UX/UI Designer - your portfolio
UK applicants only, please
At the moment, we are headquartered in the UK.
For this reason we are only looking for UK-based candidates with a UK work permit to join us.
There are no sponsorship opportunities at Karfu.
Following initial shortlisting, there will be 3 stages, which may vary in order:
- At least one strategic or tactical test
Referencing from previous roles
- At least one Founding Team panel interview
Karfu only uses competency-based, structured interviews where all candidates are asked the same questions. Each question will be scored independently by the Founding Team.
If you need any special arrangements for interviews, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies
No recruiters or agencies, please.
Karfu does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies in response to any of our live roles on our career pages on the Karfu website, company branded social media presences (including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn) or external recruitment platforms.
Karfu will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee relating to these unsolicited CVs.
Karfu explicitly reserves the right to hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Any unsolicited CVs, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Karfu.