Salary & options
£22,568 Gross (FTE)
Up to 0.25% share options
About the job
Karfu is seeking a full-time Content Writer to create and manage informative content to populate the platform prior to our commercial launch, as well as on an ongoing basis to position Karfu as the impartial home of mobility information.
We’re looking for someone to make karfu.com the go-to destination for mobility related content. We need to produce content and tools that help our customers find the right vehicle (or vehicles) and mobility options for their requirements, and then get the most out of them.
You’ll identify ideas, commission and create content primarily for the website and secondarily other channels including social media (specifically Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn). The focus of this role is written content, however, if requirements and budget allows, we would like to spend time producing infographic, animated and video based content.
To achieve our ‘go-to destination’ goal, you’ll need to be a master of how people will get there, and that requires a working and hands-on knowledge of content SEO strategy and tactics. You’ll have your own ideas and experience to share in this area, but will also seek to continue to improve your skills through learning from external SEO experts to shape your content creation. You’ll understand and have used SEO tools like Google Analytics, Search Console, Trends, Semrush and Aherfs, and be able to consider data and insights from social media platforms.
You’ll be able to find the right balance in our content creation, helping customers get where they want to be, and commercial results where they need to be. And you’ll have the journalistic and business savvy of what to prioritise now and what to put on the roadmap. As Karfu is a two sided marketplace, whilst your primary focus is on content for consumers, we will also look at developing content for businesses as the platform develops.
Mobility related content is quite a broad set of topic areas, so you will need to have a genuine interest in a variety of topics, able to create insightful explainers of newsworthy and evergreen topics. Areas we plan to cover include News, Overviews, Best of, Deals, Guides, Opinion, Features, Providers and a comprehensive mobility Dictionary.
You’ll need to understand and care about personal finance, being able to write about the different types of financial products that a consumer might use to acquire access to a vehicle. You’ll need to be financially savvy, looking independently or with our providers to find great deals for our consumers, and working with our Product team to integrate these into the full website platform.
You’ll need to be passionate about vehicles in general regardless of how they are powered, ranging from cars to motorcycles, bicycles and scooters, right down to electric skateboards. You’ll need to be interested in our marketplace providers and explaining their products and services, writing about them from an impartial perspective, irrespective of any commercial agreements we may hold with them.
Perhaps unusually, we have limited ambitions to review vehicle products directly. Instead, we plan to create comprehensive summaries and overviews based on existing information to reduce the mental load on consumers. As part of this, you will also manage the process behind populating our unique ‘Karfu Score’, which we will explain in more detail at interview. You’ll also get to trial and evaluate cutting edge artificial intelligence software to help you generate written content at speed and scale.
We’ll also cover news, but not at the breakneck speed of some competitors. When news breaks you’ll review how relevant it might be for our customers, break the back of what it means to them, and help them understand issues so they feel informed rather than overwhelmed. Whilst regular content is important, we are aiming for quality, not quantity, and are more interested in how we can use it to provide better tools and automated recommendations to our customers.
We’re looking for someone who can make their expertise accessible. We take a huge amount of inspiration from Martin Lewis and Money Saving Expert, and see them as the ideal that we would like to reach and be compared to. We believe in the Plain English Campaign and will be striving for an Internet Crystal Mark.
Whilst you will be the sole content hire, you will have a variety of support and will not be alone. As a small team, you’ll have direct access to and work closely with the Founding team. We will work with you to assess the scale of the tasks ahead and prioritise the initial launch requirements and assess what is realistic to achieve on an ongoing basis.
Our CEO and COO are committed to continuing to write content to establish the platform initially and in the long term to ensure Karfu is known for thought leadership in this space. You’ll also have Design support to create required imagery and infographics, and work closely with our Project Manager to prioritise content creation to match the overall requirements of the platform build. This includes creating ideas for new and feeding into existing tools (like calculators) which support users' needs.
You’ll be a proactive and passionate advocate in negotiating backlinks and enabling others to generate backlinks too. You’ll have your own contacts, relationships and networks to leverage too. Where suitable, you’ll place relevant affiliate and referral links into written articles without compromising our editorial integrity and impartial status.
Your key partner in crime will be our new Marketing Executive. You will work hand in hand with them to find ways to repurpose your content across various platforms including email, social media, advertising and within our planned community (a forum integrated into the Karfu platform) to help us acquire new customers, generate conversation about mobility and ultimately provide relevant product and service recommendations to consumers.
Here’s what we have to offer
- Influence our content direction.
- We are a small team - your opinion and contribution will be valued.
- We are looking for people who have ideas and are proactive about finding solutions to challenges we uncover and help us prepare for scale.
- There will be an opportunity to grow and manage other members of the content team, as well as help us decide on our next content team hires.
- Influence our company direction
- You will be one of the first hires outside of the three founders (CEO, COO, CTO). You will be a key contributor to our culture and in setting standards for our team.
- You will need to understand our overall strategy to provide relevant product solutions, but also help us decide where to focus our efforts and resources.
- Utilise new content software trends
- Our team is very open to reviewing and trying new solutions, frameworks and practices to speed up our time to market and, more broadly, to support overall company success.
- Make a difference to people’s wallets
- Karfu helps consumers make better financial decisions for their individual circumstances - think ‘Money Saving Expert’ for Mobility.
- You’ll be helping normal people save money across a wide variety of different mobility purchases.
- Help people explore more sustainable mobility options
- Karfu shows consumers the reality of the environmental impact of their mobility choices so they can view their overall impact.
- You’ll help people understand the trade-off between new vehicle types (including electric) and their traditional equivalents, as well as highlighting the differences between ownership and usership.
- Help providers sell more effectively and efficiently
- Karfu helps 3rd party providers put relevant products in front of a consumer.
- Where possible and appropriate for a consumer, you’ll be working with the technical teams to get people from content into opportunities for our partners
- You have 1+ years of commercial experience in digital content editing and production, with a mix of hands on the wheel and desk research
- You have a good understanding of SEO and are able to write with it in mind. You’re well versed in backlinks, keywords, rankings and meta data and know how to use each to your advantage.
- You have experience of and are willing to own content delivery from idea to production, including producing plans and forecasts
- You have experience in editorial best-practices, content processes and frameworks for developing and delivering great content at speed
- You have used a CMS before, are able to push content live without assistance, including basic photo editing skills (including cropping/ resizing)
- You have experience of using affiliate and referral software (like Skimlinks) and networks (like Awin) to provide revenue opportunities from content you create
- You take pride in what you create, you are passionate about writing amazing content for our customers and are word perfect.
- You are able to take a brand’s tone-of-voice and make it relevant to every moment of customer contact and evolve with it appropriately over time
- You’ll have a love of all things mobility, and a deep interest in the trends of the industry with a passion for translating those into useful, thought-provoking insight relevant for customers and audiences.
- You have experience working to optimise content using research and analytics
- You can understand data and measure the outcomes your work generates and collaborate with a cross functional team to meet commercial requirements
- You are comfortable in a high-paced and dynamic environment, a self-starter with a willingness to learn and adapt as our product and situation evolves
- You are a good communicator in both written and spoken English, due consideration will be given to speech impediments, neurodiversity considerations and strong accents
- Experience working for or with a comparison website or platform, or on a two-sided marketplace product
- Experience in using the Concrete5 / Concrete CMS platform
- Previous working experience of scaling a digital product in a rapidly growing company
- Experience of deploying and using analytics software to track content performance
- Experience of writing content for use within FCA regulated environments
- We'd like to see a portfolio of work that covers some of scope of what you’ll do at Karfu, and, where its available, commissioning briefs to accompany it
- Predominantly text-oriented is our preference, however, if you have infographic or video work to share, that’s great, too.
- We’d like you to highlight how the work addressed business, commercial and audience needs and the results that show it did.
- Where possible, demonstrate how SEO considerations fed in and played out and your view on the success of work.
- If you can, show us how you’ve contributed to a content process and workflow development or improvement.
Karfu, currently in stealth, is a B2C technology start-up in the mobility sector.
We define Mobility as the technologies, products, vehicles and services that enable people and goods to move around freely.
Karfu is an impartial online platform designed to help consumers save money and discover the financial and environmental costs of their ‘mobility’ choices, including vehicles from cars to scooters, across access options from ownership to usership.
The product is currently a desktop and mobile website. Mobile apps (iOS and Android), and a B2B proposition will follow in due course.
We have just completed our second external funding round. A full explanation of the company, strategy and product will be provided during the interview process.
Karfu's founding principles are to be transparent, responsible and sustainable. We are a certified Pending B Corp and are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion.
How are we committed to promoting Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity means difference, specifically the range of human differences within a group of people across the three categories below:
- Demographic (age, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical resources)
- Experiential (economic or social position, education, occupation, faith, abilities, dependents, caring responsibilities)
- Cognitive (how we approach problems and think about things.)
Karfu is committed to hiring people with as broad a range of these differences as possible.
Inclusion is the act of making someone feel part of a group, which involves people’s well-being at work, safeguarding people’s mental and physical resources, and championing rights and cultural differences all of which collectively help people to succeed at work.
By its nature, inclusion is difficult to measure in the workplace. Karfu’s aim is to create an inclusive environment that allows individual contribution to matter and employees are able to perform to their full potential, no matter their background, identity or circumstances.
Benefits of working at Karfu
All positions at Karfu include:
- A competitive salary including statutory pension
- Stage appropriate equity compensation, via our employee option scheme
- 25 days of paid annual leave excluding bank holidays (pro rata for PTE employees)
You are looking for a place to belong and grow
We are looking for our first hires outside the Founding team. We want people who are passionate about what we are doing and want to help us grow the company over the next decade. We want committed people who share our values and our vision.
Purpose, not just profit, drives you
Karfu is a (pending) B Corporation. Rather than just words, we wanted to prove our commitment to taking action by having legally enforceable standards to live up to. We care about sustainability and the impact Karfu could have on consumer decisions. We appreciate diversity and inclusion challenges which are reflected in our hiring policies and our internal culture. We want to be a responsible business that helps across local, national and global communities.
You know about vehicle purchase methods and how they work
If you know your PCP from your PCH and could you create a breakdown and assess whether one is a good deal or not relative to the other, this is the perfect job for you. We are looking for someone who will bring in these specific skills and can hit the ground running. Alternatively, if you understand consumer finance, or the ins and outs of how loans, mortgages or the cycle to work scheme operate, we’ll work with you to transfer these skills to working with Karfu.
You are passionate about mobility
You feel there are unique challenges and opportunities for mobility products and services and you love helping people find answers that are right for them. You’re intrigued by Electric Scooter trials. You are familiar with businesses from Citymapper to Zipcar. You are as happy on a bike as a bus or a train. You are interested in all forms of mobility and you see this continually expanding industry getting more exciting, not less. It’s where you want to build your career and your expertise.
You believe in impartiality
We believe in a level playing field for providers to compete against each other. Think the BBC, trying to see different options from both sides, rather than Google focusing on working with the highest bidders and making it impossible for a small business to compete.
You are reliable and you care
As an early stage start-up, you will be working closely with the Founders and we expect you to share the same level of enthusiasm and professionalism. We adopt a merit-based approach in our company. If you care about your performance at work, taking your role, time management, output and contribution to the team and company seriously, you’ll enjoy working with us.
You have a start-up attitude
You have a keen appetite to optimise, test, build and learn. You have a flexibility that means you can fill in for others if they’re away or help other members of the team when they need it. If you don’t know something, you don’t wait to be told to look it up. You are proactive both in work and in improving your own skill set outside of it.
Useful to know
We are recruiting a number of new employees who you will work with, including:
- Product focus
- Front-end Software Engineer (FTE)
- Back-end Software Engineer (FTE)
- Project Manager (PTE)
- Product Designer (PTE)
- Marketing focus
- Marketing Executive (FTE)
We won’t be fully remote forever
- Whilst these roles will be primarily remote, we are planning on having a flexible office or workspace in London at some stage in late 2021 / 2022, dependent on COVID-19 related developments
- We currently envisage attendance will be at least 1 day a week in person, with preferred office locations near or between Clapham Junction and Waterloo, with the duration and location subject to change
- This will require you to live a commutable distance from central London in case we decide to increase the amount of weekly attendance at a later date.
- However, we will consider candidates with exceptional CVs from elsewhere in the UK, who seek a remote only role, so please do not be deterred from applying
We understand and care that you have a life
- Whether you have a family, caring commitments, or other responsibilities outside of work, if it is important to you, it is important to us.
- Our Founding team appreciates juggling work and life is not easy. We will endeavour to treat you as we would like to be treated ourselves when things don’t go to plan.
We are a sustainable start-up and we run lean
- We are focused on saving consumers money. It would be irresponsible of us to be frivolous with our own investment funding with that mission in mind.
- Instead, we’ll focus on things that we feel are important to employees, like a challenging role that will push you, living wage salaries, pensions, benefits and fair work / life balance, rather than ensuring you have a new t-shirt every time we change our logo, or a professional table tennis table.
- If necessary, a suitable laptop will be provided, with your views and project requirements in mind. However, we are happy for you to use your own personal computer equipment.
Your questions about accessibility
- If you have any questions about accessibility, or are concerned about any Karfu company policies that might affect your ability to do a good job, please get in touch using a non-personally identifiable email address if at all possible.
How to apply
Please apply through Work In Startups. Our full application process on our website requires the below:
Provide a CV (no more than 2 sides of A4) without a name or date of birth, to help us keep applications on a level playing field.
Application screening question
Let us feel your passion. Tell us 'Why do you want to come and work for Karfu over every other company?'
Finally, we’d like applicants to send us something that showcases your skills that we can view or test, for example, a link to:
Content Writer - examples of written work
UK applicants only, please
At the moment, we are headquartered in the UK.
For this reason we are only looking for UK-based candidates with a UK work permit to join us.
There are no sponsorship opportunities at Karfu.
Following initial shortlisting, there will be 3 stages, which may vary in order:
- At least one strategic or tactical test
Referencing from previous roles
- At least one Founding Team panel interview
Karfu only uses competency-based, structured interviews where all candidates are asked the same questions. Each question will be scored independently by the Founding Team.
If you need any special arrangements for interviews, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies
No recruiters or agencies, please.
Karfu does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies in response to any of our live roles on our career pages on the Karfu website, company branded social media presences (including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn) or external recruitment platforms.
Karfu will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee relating to these unsolicited CVs.
Karfu explicitly reserves the right to hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Any unsolicited CVs, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Karfu.